Author Topic: Florida lawmakers pass "take your guns to work" law  (Read 2152 times)

storch

Re: Florida lawmakers pass "take your guns to work" law
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2008, 08:24:52 AM »
I carry mine in my pocket and when I'm in my truck it's on the center console

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2008, 10:34:48 AM »
sheesh..  some of you guys are saying that an employer should have the right to tell you what you can have in your car?   what about your home?  I mean..  what is the difference?

The employer has the right in my opinion to tell you that on his property you can't be armed.  Your car is not his property.

The insurance companies were behind this as a back door effort by democrats and gun grabbers.  It was to the point that employers were telling hunters that they had no right to have a gun in their car during work hours even if it was parked on a public street.

If it is legal to have a gun in your car then the employer has no right to say otherwise.   As was pointed out.. you do have the right to work elsewhere but.. you have the right to work elsewhere if he requires you to not wear clothes at work too or drive only one type of car.   Or.. have a knife or tire iron in the car.

It is simply none of his business what is in your car so long as it is legal.   

lazs

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2008, 07:35:44 AM »
But if guns then have to be kept in cars, I predict an increase in car break ins and rise in crimes like store hold ups.

The law does not make it mandatory for you to leave a sign in the window stating you have a gun inside.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Napoleon II

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2008, 12:52:50 PM »
The law does not make it mandatory for you to leave a sign in the window stating you have a gun inside.
True, but criminals are going to know that there's a much higher chance of finding a gun inside a car, once the law is passed. It doesn't need a freaking sign.  :rolleyes:

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2008, 04:21:10 PM »
True, but criminals are going to know that there's a much higher chance of finding a gun inside a car, once the law is passed. It doesn't need a freaking sign.  :rolleyes:

You mean like Louisiana has all the breakins since we can carry them around in our cars WITHOUT a license.  :rolleyes:

Just say you are anti-gun and be done with it.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group

Offline Roundeye

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2008, 05:00:01 PM »
Bottom line:  No person/business/property owner has the right to strip you of your constitutional rights.

Think just because you own a business you can strip a citizen of a basic constitutional right?  Break amendment 13 and see just how tough you are.  See you on CNN.
"Rotorhed"

Offline Napoleon II

• Zinc Member
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2008, 05:08:17 PM »
Parking on your employer's lot is a privilege. They don't HAVE to provide you with parking. If they're going to allow people to park on their property, seems reasonable that they can stipulate the conditions. It's the same deal with any public parking lot.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2008, 05:13:56 PM »
Anything in your car is your property, not that of the business.

What you're saying is since you're on their property, they can do anything they want.  Including beating you if you don't do your job right, since they are kind enough to give you a job.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 05:17:50 PM by Xargos »
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Napoleon II

• Zinc Member
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2008, 05:27:01 PM »
Nope.

The gun is in your car, the car is on their property, therefore the gun is on their property. And they have the right to say that you can't park on their lot with a gun in the car.

What you're saying is like saying, for example, that you are free to walk into a shopping mall gun free zone with a gun in your pocket because what's in your pocket is yours and does not belong to the shopping mall.

Can you imagine taking a gun on board a plane? "Yes, your honor. I admit to taking a gun on board the airliner, but the gun was in my pocket and it's none of the airline's business what I have in my pocket"

Big  :rolleyes: to that.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2008, 05:32:27 PM »
We won a lawsuit against the State when they tried to prevent us from being able to keep a gun in our cars at the prison I work at.  I'd like to see a business owner try to prevent me from keeping one in my car.

P.S.  It really wasn't a lawsuit we won, so to speak.  We filed the paperwork but dropped it once the State Attorney General saw it.  He sided with us because he knew we would win if it went to trial.  We saw no need to push it beyond not having our guns taken every time they searched our cars for drugs.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 06:09:07 PM by Xargos »
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

Member DFC

Offline Napoleon II

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2008, 05:36:38 PM »
He may not be able to stop you keeping a gun in your car, but he sure as hell can pick and choose who he allows to park on his property.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2008, 05:38:19 PM »
Not in my State.  If he tried that, I'd be the new owner.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

Member DFC

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2008, 05:39:14 PM »
The difference, Lazs, is that to stay on my property, you must obey my rules.  If the employer owns the parking lot, he should be able to set the rules at his own discretion AND accept all the consequences of such.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Napoleon II

• Zinc Member
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2008, 05:41:18 PM »
bingo to laser ^

Offline Roundeye

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2008, 05:46:51 PM »
Nope.

The gun is in your car, the car is on their property, therefore the gun is on their property. And they have the right to say that you can't park on their lot with a gun in the car.

What you're saying is like saying, for example, that you are free to walk into a shopping mall gun free zone with a gun in your pocket because what's in your pocket is yours and does not belong to the shopping mall.

Can you imagine taking a gun on board a plane? "Yes, your honor. I admit to taking a gun on board the airliner, but the gun was in my pocket and it's none of the airline's business what I have in my pocket"

Big  :rolleyes: to that.

Apples and oranges.  There are federal laws against guns on planes, courthouses, banks, etc.  These are places where there is a high likelyhood of a gun crime to occur.  There are also trained/armed individuals present to protect the public in these situations.  Even then, you can still have a gun waiting for you in your car when you leave the protection provided at these places.

Who is going to protect you from some thug on side of the road when you have a flat tire on your way home from work?  You left your gun at home because some schmuck says "no guns on my property".  Just hope you leave work before I do, because I don't care what any property owner says, I'm well armed.  If I see you in trouble, I will gladly help out a fellow citizen.
"Rotorhed"