Author Topic: Worlds fastest street legal car  (Read 2971 times)

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Re: Worlds fastest street legal car
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2008, 02:20:02 PM »
Yeah Strip, but it won't do 250 mph. I don't think you fully appreciate the difficulties involved in getting a car to go that fast. The Veyron is actually as fast as a Hurricane Mk. I on MIL power, and the Veyron has to stay on the ground.

Too bad some of the stuff they did has been banned for decades in racing :( I'd love to see a true unlimited series. Something as simple as allowing on-the-fly adjustable aerodynamics, like the Veyron's rear wing does, would go a long way. You'd see those grand prix cars hitting 300+ on the straights, and back to 110 for a corner faster than they could change gears. It'd also probably be beyond the realm of human endurance... but it'd be entertaining.

Offline Lumpy

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2008, 02:22:12 PM »
I totally agree. Limiting the technological advancement of motor sport is inherently wrong and counter productive imho.
“I’m an angel. I kill first borns while their mommas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even – when I feel like it – rip the souls from little girls and now until kingdom come the only thing you can count on, in your existence, is never ever understanding why.”

-Archangel Gabriel, The P

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2008, 02:24:27 PM »
What difficult about it? We have an 18 wheeler that will do 400mph. (Granted its using 3 jets to go that fast.)

The knowledge to engineer components to go that fast has been around for years. Sorry but you put enough horsepower behind something and you can get it to go fast.

When you start looking at the development costs you can see what I mean.

Limiting the technology in motorsports is whats keeping people alive.

Strip

Offline Lumpy

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2008, 02:39:26 PM »
What difficult about it?

Like I said, I don't think you fully appreciate the difficulties involved. It has to use standard fuel grades. It must conform to countless safety and product quality regulations. You can't just put three jet engines on a car and sell it in Europe, it would be illegal. The Veyron must meet European emission regulations, safety regulations (even at top speed) and regulation on minimum reliability. You can't just make a production car that lasts 5000 miles. It has to last hundreds of thousands of miles (with regular service intervals of course).

The purpose of motor sport (or any sport for that matter) is not to keep people alive.
“I’m an angel. I kill first borns while their mommas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even – when I feel like it – rip the souls from little girls and now until kingdom come the only thing you can count on, in your existence, is never ever understanding why.”

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2008, 02:46:27 PM »

Strip

Then why were Turbines, AWD, and side-by-side arrangements banned from the Indianapolis 500? All 3 improved safety for the drivers. It wasn't because they were unsafe, even though opponents claimed it was (and were disproved in testing). It was because Andy Granetelli was using his cars to make his competitors look foolish with their older technology. Try reading "Mr. 500" for a better look inside the shady business that is racing.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2008, 03:10:51 PM »
The purpose of motor sport (or any sport for that matter) is not to keep people alive.

I dont believe I said or implied that...

The main purpose of any sanctioning body, other than a fair competion, is keep people as safe as the sport allows. Nascar really started limiting the technology in the 80s for safety concerns after they couldnt keep the cars shiny side up. Formula 1, Cart/IRL, and many forms of drag racing have done this almost since the first few races. In the 80s we hade Formula 1 cars approaching 1000 HP per liter! Indy cars were hitting 230+ mph average lap times on.   IRL drivers walked off a race because the G forces were giving them vision problems and disorientation. We have reached a limit in the top forms to what a body can take.Your not going to see the speed increase very much any more. Limiting technology is the only way to keep the speeds down and the drivers safe. Top Fuel Dragsters are going 330 mph regularly on technology that is some 50-100 years old. Thats 8000 HP on a fuel, injection system, clutches, and basic engine components on tehnology thats outdated! Sure they have improved materials, design, and performance but the parts are still there. Imagine what would happen if they used electronic fuel injection, 4 Valve heads, and better boosting mechanisms. The speeds would be outrageous and the deaths suffered recently would be a drop in the bucket compared.

And FYI I know what it takes to go 250 mph. I have drove and built cars that regularly see speeds of nearly 200 mph in the 1/4 mile.

Indy let me rephrase my comment there....

Limiting the performance technologies in motorsports is whats keeping people alive.

Strip

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2008, 03:14:45 PM »
The solution is obvious. Replace the drivers with computers or remote control, and cheer on your favorite engineering team to win. :) Cars would be so, so much faster.

Offline Lumpy

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2008, 03:30:48 PM »
I dont believe I said or implied that...

Then why mention lives at all?

I have drove and built cars that regularly see speeds of nearly 200 mph in the 1/4 mile.

There is a world of difference between a custom built 200 mph car and a 250 mph production car. In fact there is a world of difference between a 200 mph car and a 250 mph car period. There's a reason there's only three cars that can do it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 03:32:29 PM by Lumpy »

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2008, 03:49:41 PM »
3 production cars....I can think of 10 cars that can do it at 1/10th the cost.

Theres is a Dodge Viper that does a 200 mph standing mile and over 250 mph on the top end. That one is driven around the very city I live in.

I was building engines that made more horsepower per hole by the time I was 15 on 87 octane using 50 year old engine layouts. Thats with more RPM and a far more abuse than this million dollar sinkhole will ever see. Sorry if youve been under the hood of a variety of race cars for most of your life its just not that impressive. The only thing that registers is the money spent fitting all of the high dollar stuff under one hood. Show me any one component that cant be out performed by something 10 years old or better. I would bet you cant....

Strip

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2008, 03:51:10 PM »
Show me any one component that cant be out performed by something 10 years old or better. I would bet you cant....

Traction control? Electronics have come a long way.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2008, 04:01:49 PM »
Had it in the 80s and 90s.

ABS too...

Strip

Offline Lumpy

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2008, 04:09:36 PM »
...I can think of 10 cars that can do it at 1/10th the cost.

Yeah, but none of them are production cars. It's easy when you don't have to abide by the same rules and regulations. I also bet none of those ten cars would be street legal in Europe.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2008, 04:12:48 PM »
I guess 3 of them are illegally driven then.  :(

Strip

Offline Lumpy

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2008, 04:16:16 PM »
I guess 3 of them are illegally driven then.  :(

Strip

Name them.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2008, 07:18:14 PM »
All irrelevant to the definition of "fastest car". Top speed is the only relevant statistic. A Willis Jeep is faster than all these cars around a mud track, but that is also irrelevant.
huh?  why mention it then?  :lol
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you