Author Topic: Death - is this what divides?  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Death - is this what divides?
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2008, 01:10:22 PM »
The 80th tends to up at capped fields pretty regularly. We do it for the fun factor. To succeed where it looks as if failure is imminent is the goal in that regard. Even if you fail to defend successfully, it is alot of fun and makes for some entertaining films.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2008, 01:10:53 PM »
Balance between the desire to kill (and there is nothing better than seeing the target fall apart) and not getting shot down is the key. I want to pretend to be a WWII fighter pilot for awhile and try to do whatever a skilled pilot really would do in my situations. There is no way to do this without risks.

For instance, I could refuse to pounce on inbound B-24s in my D9. There is absolutely no riskless way to attack these things, the world's worst gunner can still put a golden BB in the cockpit. (And I ASSUME that I'm going to be a glider after the attack, Dora's radiator.) But intercepting B-planes is what the 190 series was built to do. Same thing with BnZ tactics. Unless you OPHA all the time, there is no riskless way to E-fight, any plane can pull up into and fire some potshots when you go vertical, once again, the golden BB is always out there.

The key for me is tempering my desire to put the pipper on something and shoot the crap out of it with a little wisdom so I don't end up with frustration overbalancing the fun. Going along with this is my philsophy regarding differential plane encounters...I see no need to punish oneself for one's plane choice by flying the other guy's fight.  If you are in a P-51 or Dora and find a Spit with an E overhead on you, and you get into a stallfight with him and let him shoot you down instead of bugging, you are essentially punishing yourself for flying a less "dweeb" plane, rewarding him for flying something abit easier, and not encouraging the guy to ever try a faster but less-forgiving plane which can run down bandits but also gives up maneuveribility.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2008, 01:21:35 PM »
The 80th tends to up at capped fields pretty regularly. We do it for the fun factor. To succeed where it looks as if failure is imminent is the goal in that regard. Even if you fail to defend successfully, it is alot of fun and makes for some entertaining films.

Shuff...

Due to the boredom of flying to live, the longer one has played...the more likely he will opt for the more exciting "failure IS an option (if its fun)" approach. Unfortunately, (no matter the virtual age) will never out grow "fly to live" approach. :frown:
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2008, 01:35:43 PM »
i have never heard vulching put into those terms before, amazing....simply amazing.

Maybe you don't know anything about ACM who knows. =) tell me how to vulch on an air field w/ 10-15 con almost co-alt w/ ya w/ full AAAs up. At least think before you talk.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2008, 01:36:56 PM »
Make Death = $$$.

Let's say.... $100 to replane after a death, automatically charged to your credit card.

Let's see how much fun the game is then when everyone "flies to live".  :rofl

I'll wager the folks that are so proud of how they fly "realistically" and "fly to live" will soon be so bored they'll quit and go somewhere else.

This will become MSFS then.

And, once all the Mr. Realistics move on, we can change the pricing back to the way it is and have fun! Of course, HT will periodically have to re-teach the lesson but that's to be expected.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2008, 01:44:10 PM »
these threads are simply nauseating.  Just get in game and play. 

FYI - Using mostly P39Ds and Qs I have 121 kills and 29 deaths.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 01:46:43 PM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2008, 01:47:46 PM »
many of us have nothing better to do at our places of work than to talk about the game while day-dreaming of what we will be flying that night.

threads such as this result.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2008, 01:49:30 PM »
As if there exists an antagonism between the "I do all I do to survive" kind and the "I only care about fun" kind.

If everyone else in the arena is using my style of gameplay, you still have fun.  If everyone else is flying your style of gameplay, I am no longer having so much fun.
You deny this is the case?

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2008, 02:00:32 PM »
I don't want to die.  This is a game and, beyond having fun, I'm competative enough to want to "win" (of course that takes many forms in this game).

Not wanting to die though, doesn't mean I avoid fights at all costs.  I welcome a fight and every one I get into I expect to win.  If I don't win I'm disappointed in myself because I made a mistake, whether that's augering or being pulled into an overwhelmingly outnumbered situation (which is probably my biggest downfall relative to my desire not to die) or some other mistake.

I also play for score (to an extent).  I don't allow playing for score to compromise my game-play though.  At one point on these BBs when I first started playing for score, I think it was Lynx suggested I spend more time in GV's as that was the strongest part of my game (at the time).  My fighter skills were only average.  I replied, thanks for the advice but I'm not going to compromise my game just for score.  So I set about to improve my fighter skills (the weakest part of my game... and it still is).  I'm still not an elite fighter pilot but I hold my own and I don't fly attack to "protect" my fighter score.  I go out and fly and fight and take what comes of it and, as I posted in another thread, as long as I can take care of myself in a fight then my score/rank will take care of itself.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2008, 02:15:42 PM »
well im jumping in a little late but im jumping in any way!!!!

all this talk of the "Suicide" mentality just chafs my britches,lol  (not really)
 now i named my squad "SUICIDE DWEEBZ" because truly i dont care if i die, i die more often then not, its a friggen game we dont realy die!!!!
but every time i up my fighter im damm well trying to RTB, but because of the fights i pick, i most often die!! hence SUICIDE DWEEB, i know most likely ill die but i still engage, because its about the fight! plain and simple.

years ago i tried the realistic survival thing  very friggen boring, i will never do that again i dont see how anyone can play like that, but hey play how you like it is your 15 bucks.

i think one of the mistakes alot  of people are doing is dogpilling people in certain categories , we dont know why someone does this or that.

personally i dont think there is much wrong with Aces High, and once CT comes out it'll pretty much be perfect!!
if these offline missions are a peek into what its gonna be like, (and i think they are) it should totally satisfy  all that enjoy Aces High but find something not quit right!!

anyway <S> to you all who enjoy the same thing i do!!!    Aces High 2

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 02:17:52 PM by ink »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2008, 02:17:13 PM »
Explain?  Not giving a reason for your opinion is unhelpful.  Moreover, if at least one person thinks it, any statement that says "some of us think..." is true by definition.  Maybe you're objecting to the claim that real pilots try to avoid death?

HT, you know the answer to your own question.  Everything is more meaningful with risk.  We try to live, but that is not to say that we ought not to take some chances, especially when there are enemies to be shot down! :D

Some of us think that death is bad, it should be avoided at all costs (just like real pilots)

I thought words like ALL Cost, would mean take no risk. Or did you mean to say something different with ALL COST?

HiTech

Offline JagdTankker

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2008, 02:17:35 PM »
Maybe you don't know anything about ACM who knows. =) tell me how to vulch on an air field w/ 10-15 con almost co-alt w/ ya w/ full AAAs up. At least think before you talk.

your right i don't know any ACM  :rofl  :rofl  :rofl

and since when is running away ACM??
<<---chasing the flock of Seagulls-aka JG/11

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2008, 02:20:13 PM »

In short, the people who claim they don't care about deaths, are those who usually fly under circumstances where they'd not have to worry about relatively high risks in the first place.

You clearly have never flown anywhere near me or the guys that I fly with.

Your statement is absolutely false in that respect :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2008, 02:22:01 PM »
Anaxogoras and I wing up a lot to provide CAP on enemy air field. When one of our air field is under heavy attack, we take a wing up usually 4 190s and attack the air field the enemy is coming from. We usually face pretty heavy odd, but keep them surrounded within their air field and give our air field a break. Now this is what Anaxogoras means by survival. We usually face 1 to 3 odds in these sortie. Usually we make it back home with around 15-20 between the 4 of us. It's not much but it take a lot of SA and team work to force that air field to play defensive for a bit giving our guy on our air field time to come up and get some E.

So you were the 5 190s that took that long to BnZ my single 38G to death last night while I was on the deck just up? :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 02:24:12 PM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2008, 02:23:03 PM »
I liked hitech posts more pre-firefox auto spell checker.  figuring out what he said was half the fun :D

<S> HT!  Thanks for all the cool stuff last patch.  Don't spend all my money in one place each month!
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace