Author Topic: WIRBELWIND........The new 262  (Read 2340 times)

Offline REVRAND

• Copper Member
      • Brids Of Prey
WIRBELWIND........The new 262
« on: April 16, 2008, 12:30:48 AM »
2cm Flakvierling auf Fahrgestell Panzer IV, Wirbelwind   
Although a closed turret was preferred for the new Flakpanzer, it was not possible due to the creation of smoke when firing. The FlaKPz IV "Wirbelwind" (Whirlwind) was an anti-aircraft tank mounted four 2cm cannons in an octagonal, open-top turret, which provided an impressive amount of firepower. The turret could be rotated at 60o/s.  however, by late in the war 2cm shells weren't powerful enough to bring down Allied aircraft. On the other hand, it was a devastating weapon against ground troops. With production starting in mid 1944, in total 105 were produced till the end of the war. 

Can anyone explain with only >105 produced< and the lack of power to shoot down a Goon, is this GV like a 110 with tracks........?

Overmodeled maybe .....?

Hell at least perk it .........I mean only three hundred ME262'z made into combat and the perks are usually in the triple digits........

The REV   :devil
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 12:34:27 AM by REVRAND »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: WIRBELWIND........The new 262
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 12:38:01 AM »
I was in a 262 in a high speed dive around 3k alt, doin about 500mph, I looked off my 9 OC and saw a WW icon 1.5k out on a shoreline WAY the hell out there.

It lights me up first ping (tracers on, so I know it) and kills my engine, my engine oil, my aileron, and my wingtip, in the first ping.

I might have made it home intact save for a 190d that dove 15k to the deck to take a single attack run at me (the entire fight was 5k or less).

I definitely feel the WW is too powerful. Either it needs a perk or needs nerfing.

Think about it, 500+MPH, at 1.5k, nose down, hauling major arse, in a 262 no less, and his first tracers find their mark (and OH he sprayed after me, trying to finish me off)

Edit: P.S. I like it as a vehicle, it's a neat thing to ride in, but it's very unbalancing IMO.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 01:02:27 AM by Krusty »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 01:08:17 AM »
At 105 built it had more than twice the production of the Ostwind.

Keep in mind though that the Germans had lots of quad 20mm AA units, most weren't built on Panzer IV chasis though.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Flatbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 01:13:23 AM »
I get killed by bombs all too often, please perk them also.

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 01:21:14 AM »
I get HO'd and collided with so perk gas and bullets too please. Sorry for sarcasm, just have unresolved issues. Now they're resolved, thanks.
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 02:02:18 AM »
I was in a 262 in a high speed dive around 3k alt, doin about 500mph, I looked off my 9 OC and saw a WW icon 1.5k out on a shoreline WAY the hell out there.

It lights me up first ping (tracers on, so I know it) and kills my engine, my engine oil, my aileron, and my wingtip, in the first ping.

I might have made it home intact save for a 190d that dove 15k to the deck to take a single attack run at me (the entire fight was 5k or less).

I definitely feel the WW is too powerful. Either it needs a perk or needs nerfing.

Think about it, 500+MPH, at 1.5k, nose down, hauling major arse, in a 262 no less, and his first tracers find their mark (and OH he sprayed after me, trying to finish me off)

Edit: P.S. I like it as a vehicle, it's a neat thing to ride in, but it's very unbalancing IMO.

Sounds like an awesome shot to me.  I like to give skill credit where it is due.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 02:10:56 AM »

Well I have done the same with manned acks & I think Osti's on 262's you should see the cheat screams I see on 200 or pm'd to me. So do we perk the soft gun
& Osti because some one knows how to use them? I say no to perking.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 02:15:26 AM by lyric1 »

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 02:33:15 AM »
Hell at least perk it .........I mean only three hundred ME262'z made into combat and the perks are usually in the triple digits........

Numbers produced dont mean anything. Go take a look at the Ostwind, Ta152, N1K2, three gun LA7 numbers for a start.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline soupcan

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 02:53:50 AM »
saw a WW icon 1.5k out on a shoreline WAY the hell out there.
No matter how you try and say it krusty,
1.5K is NOT "WAY the hell out there".

Numbers produced dont mean anything. Go take a look at the Ostwind, Ta152, N1K2, three gun LA7 numbers for a start.
You beat me to it Larry!  :aok

<S>
Addicted since tour 62.
news in game.
http://www.415thsquad.com/

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 04:47:54 AM »
"however, by late in the war 2cm shells weren't powerful enough to bring down Allied aircraft."

Yeah, sure. So mounting four of those in FW190 was a waste of time and resources too? You might want to check how much Clostermann liked those flakvierlings. In his book he describes a strafing mission where 6 Tempests of his flight dove in and only two came back up and the whole event took only a few seconds. He claims they were shot down by flakvierlings but I guess they just hit the ground for other reasons...   

The 20mm of Wirbelwind is so slow that if you know where it is there is no reason why you could not dodge it. Wirbelwind seems to be most powerful when the angles are not too big so that taking proper lead is not too tough. From more than 1.5K and 90deg angles I fear 37mm Osties more. Of course if you try to strafe a Wirbelwind and it sees you in time your game is usually over in a split second, but I haven't given Wirbys any special attention on attack missions. They seem to obey the bomb just as well as the Ostie.

M16 is not as efficient but it is easier to get a proper lead with it due to better ballistics, although I understand that Wirby eats some interest from M16 in field defence duties.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 05:49:13 AM »
Sounds like someone's whine meter is going off because he can't strafe down a gv properly. Heck using his logic they should perk the 45 the pilot in a parachute has! I killed a spit with it one day. :O Not sure how i got credit for it but i hit him 1 time next thing i know i get a message saying i shot down so and so. :rofl That will teach you to shoot at chutes. :D

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 06:01:02 AM »

Either your GPS was faulty or you need to work on your math  :aok

very unbalancing

Says the guy in 262  :rofl

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 07:00:29 AM »
Either your GPS was faulty or you need to work on your math  :aok

You need to work on your math, bighorn. Icon distance is measured in yards, altitude in feet. No problem to be at 3k alt and having enemy icon at 1.5k  ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 07:36:07 AM »
You need to work on your math, bighorn. Icon distance is measured in yards, altitude in feet. No problem to be at 3k alt and having enemy icon at 1.5k  ;)

Sorry Lushe, referred to previous post by soupcan "1.5K is NOT "WAY the hell out there".". (that's typical Krusty's math  :D)
As far as math goes, he could be sector away. Distance and alt aren't related in this case.

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 07:59:36 AM »
Funny, but the only time I've been killed by a wirblewind is if I went straight at it while it's looking at me. They are WAY to easy to turret. Couple of rounds on top of the thing and it's OOC.

The Wirblewind needs to be perked about as bad as the C-47 does.

AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"