Author Topic: ARMY vs MARINES, which is better  (Read 4049 times)

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: ARMY vs MARINES, which is better
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 12:28:01 PM »
Please feel free to walk up to the next Marine you see and tell him you think he's not intelligent. :D Make sure someone has film rolling please.
AKsleep U.S.M.C. 1981-1994

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 12:37:35 PM »
(first my backround.  6 years USMC.  6 years USAF 12 total active service.  I enlisted in the Marines when I was 18 and had a tech job working on RADAR.  Since then I've worked with all branches of services quite extensivly)Good or bad here's some of the differences I've noticed:

USMC

Smaller service.  ONly about 180K+  This can be good or bad.  Good in the fact that you aren't allways just another number, bad in the fact that you have a smaller budget and the Marines are well known for doing more with less.  

True every Marine a rifleman.  I worked on RADAR but did alot of ground ops as we were allways tasked with providing our own perimeter security.  The Marines have good educational benifits but the Army has alot more.  (more on that later)

ARMY

First off they've lowered their standards for enlistment.  While not all soldiers are douchbags you are going to find alot more as of late.  You also make rank alot faster in the Army.  The army has more educational programs such the army advantage fund and the latest one of garunteed loans/grants for small business when you get out.  They also have better retention bonuses.  

The Army is a HUGE service though.  A bigger service usually means more BS rules and regs.  It also means things are usually less personalized (take that how you want it)  IE the difference between working for a big corporation or a small business.

With all things considered the Marines are stronger on tradition.  When it comes to dropping the panties of ladies nothing beats these:

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 01:07:55 PM »
While not all soldiers are douchbags you are going to find alot more as of late
Nice faulty generilzation.  People are people and neither service will change that. Thanks for your service.  :salute

Best bet is to see which service will offer him the most. Both are excellent, as are all of the services. See which one will offer him the MOS he really wants, See if he can get guarenteed fist station of choice, special schooling, ie. Airborne school, Language school, what have you. See which one will pay off current student loans, which is offering a bonus, and any other recruitment incentives. Life in each service is similar and different, most, if not all, will offer tuition assistance to take college couses while serving (it is finding the time to take them that can get iffy). Reserve and guard units have many benefits as well. He should learn the history and type of missions his MOS/Service will be required to perform and get a general idea of what suits his desires. For me, the Army was my choice; no sea duty, no embassy duty, and no Squids... just kidding guys, my dad was Navy. Some say that the Army and Navy argued over who would get the Marines, the Army won, and chose the Donkey. I love my GI-rines out there and all our service members. Thanks guys and gals. Remember, both services sing the same cadence... "GI Beans and GI gravy, gee I should have joined the ..." :D

:salute
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline aenigma

• Zinc Member
      • 173rd Guardian Angels
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 03:01:59 PM »
Go to west point! Army football games are AWSOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
People skydive from a shopper at beginning of game and land on the field and if army scores all the soldiers go onto field and do abagillion pushups and they also throw ppl up in air  :aok

Navy OWNS the Army on and off the field....'nuff said.
173rd Guardian Angels
www.173rdguardianangels.info

Navy Veterans- www.Navyvets.com

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 04:53:19 PM »
IIRC

the BIGGEST difference is............

every Marine is a Rifleman FIRST!

MOS does NOT matter you will learn to use your weapon.

Not sure if the Army has the same approach?

it's the same! the big difference is there are more trade type skills available in the army as far as i can tell and even more in the air force! I was an army all the way guy, but i have alot of respect for those jarheads! if you want to learn something in college and you wish to earn that ed. thru the service, maybe you should try to find out what service has a job like what you would want in the outside world, then you could get most of your ed. from them first as well as alot of college while in! I had over 500 credit hours when i left the army after 7 years, and i dint even try hard
Flying since tour 71.

Offline BlkKnit

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 05:27:54 PM »
Bah, don't worry about what each service has to offer.  Worry about what you have to offer each service.  (somewhat stolen from JFK)

I was a Marine and never saw a time when I was in serious danger.  Locations requiring caution and amped up security, yes, but no real danger.  All I really have to say is that once a Marine has made it through "BOOT CAMP", he is forever allowed to snear a bit when others speak of the grueling times at "Basic" (Those Jarheads from PI get to do the same at us from SD....to a degree, MOUNT MF didn't get that name for nuthin!)

Anyway, there is a matter of pride from being a Marine that I just dont see as much from my friends from other branches (special units not withstanding) and while I came very close to enlisting in the Army, I am glad I did not.

Semper Fi! <S>!

Once a Knight is Never Enough

Offline BlkKnit

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 05:30:16 PM »

it's the same! the big difference is there are more trade type skills available in the army as far as i can tell and even more in the air force! I was an army all the way guy, but i have alot of respect for those jarheads! if you want to learn something in college and you wish to earn that ed. thru the service, maybe you should try to find out what service has a job like what you would want in the outside world, then you could get most of your ed. from them first as well as alot of college while in! I had over 500 credit hours when i left the army after 7 years, and i dint even try hard

You know, there is much specialization in other branches (from my understanding, I know thats not completely true for everyone)....Marines tend to overlap more and do other things, probably due to the small size of the Corps

Once a Knight is Never Enough

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 05:50:16 PM »
Bah, don't worry about what each service has to offer.  Worry about what you have to offer each service.  (somewhat stolen from JFK)

I was a Marine and never saw a time when I was in serious danger.  Locations requiring caution and amped up security, yes, but no real danger.  All I really have to say is that once a Marine has made it through "BOOT CAMP", he is forever allowed to snear a bit when others speak of the grueling times at "Basic" (Those Jarheads from PI get to do the same at us from SD....to a degree, MOUNT MF didn't get that name for nuthin!)

Anyway, there is a matter of pride from being a Marine that I just dont see as much from my friends from other branches (special units not withstanding) and while I came very close to enlisting in the Army, I am glad I did not.

Semper Fi! <S>!

You're lucky man, for some reason mortars seem to cause damage even if they don't get you with shrapnel. I was close to joining the Corps, but fate intervened. I got hit by a car riding my bike home from the Marine Recruiter's office and spent over a week in the hospital. Took it as a sign and eventually joined the Army instead. I will agree there is not as much emphasis placed on the "Army" per se, but being "Airborne", "Air Assault" ,"Ranger", etc. does provide that esprit-de-corps. I am just glad the Army is gettting rid of those stinking green Class As. While not as fancy as the Marine Blues, the Army Blues are pretty sharp.
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 06:45:47 PM »
On budgets, historically the marines have always had a smaller budget then the other services. The Army, Airforce have budgets approximating or greater then the Navy which the Marines will need to get from place to place. The Army always has the latest greatest tanks, rifles, etc... before the Marines. I might be wrong but I think thats true. How can the Airforce have a bigger budget then the Navy.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 06:52:23 PM by MrCoffee »

Offline LTARGlok

• Probation
  • Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 09:44:23 PM »
On budgets, historically the marines have always had a smaller budget then the other services. The Army, Airforce have budgets approximating or greater then the Navy which the Marines will need to get from place to place. The Army always has the latest greatest tanks, rifles, etc... before the Marines. I might be wrong but I think thats true. How can the Airforce have a bigger budget then the Navy.

(Image removed from quote.)

Well, the Army is almost 4 times the size of the Marine Corps in terms of personnel.   So that accounts for some of the difference in budget that you see.

However, I know that the Army got the M1 Abrams tank long before the Marines ever did.  Since the difference in budget is over 6 times, the Marines do seem to be getting the short end of the stick.

Still, if you were a Jihadist, and had your choice of fighting either the US Army or Marines, would you choose to fight Marines??

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2008, 11:00:28 PM »
Marine? Army? Join USAF....they will each you skill that you can actually use in civilian world. Don't be a tool and buy BS from recruiter....of course, if you can't score enough on ASVA.....you can go to other services.....

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2008, 11:15:16 PM »

Still, if you were a Jihadist, and had your choice of fighting either the US Army or Marines, would you choose to fight Marines??

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 11:37:30 PM by MrCoffee »

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2008, 11:22:30 PM »
So to better answer your question. In all fairness, if I were situated far inland I would prefer the marines. If I was based near the ocean I would prefer the army attack me.

Offline 1sum41

• Silver Member
      • devil dog squadron
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2008, 02:06:48 AM »
marine corps are the best i have a friend in the 4th recon division he says he loves it :salute

Offline zoozoo

• Silver Member
      • http://myspace.com/zachisbackforasnack
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2008, 06:35:43 AM »
Navy OWNS the Army on and off the field....'nuff said.

true :frown:
Zoozoo
Jokers Jokers
zoozoo fighter ace issue one:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,240022.0.html