Author Topic: ARMY vs MARINES, which is better  (Read 4048 times)

Offline BlkKnit

• Gold Member
Re: ARMY vs MARINES, which is better
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2008, 07:40:32 AM »
Marine? Army? Join USAF....they will each you skill that you can actually use in civilian world. Don't be a tool and buy BS from recruiter....of course, if you can't score enough on ASVA.....you can go to other services.....

22 years after end of active service and I am still working in the profession I learned in the Corps.  Air Force has more options along those lines, but the Corps has more job skill overlap (comparing first hand knowledge of the Corps to what i have been told by others about the USAF)...and when I went in, USMC had the highest ASVAB requirements of all services.

I will agree there is not as much emphasis placed on the "Army" per se, but being "Airborne", "Air Assault" ,"Ranger", etc. does provide that esprit-de-corps

Exactly.  I knew a fellow from the 82nd who came to the Marines as an MP while I was working with them on guard detail.  He had pride in that and at this late date, probably a lot of pride in both.

Once a Knight is Never Enough

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2008, 09:33:51 AM »
Bah, don't worry about what each service has to offer.  Worry about what you have to offer each service.  (somewhat stolen from JFK)

I was a Marine and never saw a time when I was in serious danger.  Locations requiring caution and amped up security, yes, but no real danger.  All I really have to say is that once a Marine has made it through "BOOT CAMP", he is forever allowed to snear a bit when others speak of the grueling times at "Basic" (Those Jarheads from PI get to do the same at us from SD....to a degree, MOUNT MF didn't get that name for nuthin!)

Anyway, there is a matter of pride from being a Marine that I just dont see as much from my friends from other branches (special units not withstanding) and while I came very close to enlisting in the Army, I am glad I did not.

Semper Fi! <S>!
Blknit it's been a lotta years,but I was thinking Mount MF'er could be the same piece of terrain we called Witches Tit?It was at Camp Pendleton,and I could swear my chin was about 12 inches off the ground from leaning forward to go up that sucker!I was recollecting on ITR,and recall how the flipping showers were broke,and had only cold water.I  was there in January,and it can get way cold there.A warm shower would have been nice.
IronDog

Offline BlkKnit

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2008, 09:56:34 AM »
Blknit it's been a lotta years,but I was thinking Mount MF'er could be the same piece of terrain we called Witches Tit?It was at Camp Pendleton,and I could swear my chin was about 12 inches off the ground from leaning forward to go up that sucker!I was recollecting on ITR,and recall how the flipping showers were broke,and had only cold water.I  was there in January,and it can get way cold there.A warm shower would have been nice.
IronDog

Hmm, not sure if its the same.  No doubt there were a few hills down there that were a tough march.  But yeah, it was at Pendleton.  We went up in the dark, during our week in the field during boot.  That was the best week of boot IMO.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2008, 11:29:08 AM »
Thought this was kind of cool...

After five months of furious building activity, the 9th Marine Regiment marched from Camp Elliot in San Diego to Camp Pendleton to be the first troops to occupy the new base. On Sept. 25, 1942, President Franklin D. Roosevelt arrived for the official dedication.

My father-in-law was in the 9th and did that march.

Offline BlkKnit

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2008, 11:59:05 AM »
yup, thats pretty cool :aok