Author Topic: Iowa Class Battleships  (Read 3494 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Iowa Class Battleships
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 07:20:43 PM »
Sorry for my aggressiveness, I really don't know what gotten in to me tonight...
It might be that I've seen a *few*too many of these "Try the search button" posts...

I think it's battle fatigue mixed with a degree of paranoia that someone is trying to kill you either by attacking your plane (or flying it) or indirectly by sending you on ridiculously hazardous missions. You can see it in your face. I suggest plotting an emergency heading to Switzerland, if necessary.

BB Joisy is a big `ol beautiful American battleship, ain't she? Guess we could go one of three ways on this:

We could follow MA uberlogic and remind others that the Yamato was bigger, therefore better.

We could jump on this bandwagon and call it not only a well thought-out suggestion but one that deserves a priority over other considerations.

We could politely suggest that as informative as the post/suggestion was (as well as timely and unique) that the game has greater needs presently.

I vote C, for now ... respectfully and non-threateningly.  :D

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 08:00:38 PM »
how about the texas it was the only american battleship to survive both world wars and fight in them

Man, that thing has like 4 billion little anti aircraft guns and what not on there. Trust me I've seen it myself.

But, it's a really pretty ship too. It isn't as big as the others, but it has I think 10 14" guns. A crud load of those 5" guns that were mounted in the side hull, and god knows what else. But if we get the New York Class (New York->BB-34 Texas->BB-35) we should have another countrie's battle fleet. Perhaps British? Lets say the Ark Royal? Or Japanese, so we could have for carriers hmm... the Zuikaku. I'm pretty sure that was the best Japanese Carrier IIRC.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline DaddyAck

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 08:40:09 PM »

Here she is in 1919 note the older style masts and rigging.  Also the casement guns in the hull can clearly be seen.

Here she is in her later post-modernization configuration the casement guns now removed and an updated mast and rigging.

Here is a shot of her in her present state, preserved as a museum.  A fitting tribute to a ship that served her nation through multiple conflicts ending her career with 5 battle stars and returning to a greatful nation.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 09:14:06 PM »
I tell you one thing...if we do get that ring defense...I hope they tone down the ack a little...it's deadly as it is...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline VansCrew1

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 09:54:25 PM »
For once i agree with McLovin.  :aok :aok
Tour 79
Callsign: VansCrew

"The Ringer"

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 10:43:34 PM »
If you are going Texas how about a nod to #34, the New York which my grandfather served on during WW2.  He participated in the Okinawa and Iwo Jima battles.  I still remember as a young kid hearing the story of Kamikaze attacks including the one that almost killed him. My father still keeps his diary in the safe deposit box.   

Offline McLovin1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 02:56:11 PM »
For once i agree with McLovin.  :aok :aok
finally

Offline McLovin1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 02:57:45 PM »
And guys im not talking just about USS Iowa I am talking about a class of battleships, the USS Iowa was just the first so they name the class after her.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 04:40:46 PM »
Also we should make it that when they get close enough to each other they make a formation.

Nice ideas except the "we" part.  What part of this are YOU going to do exactly?  Just thought I'd ask.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 04:50:20 PM »
Nice ideas except the "we" part.  What part of this are YOU going to do exactly?  Just thought I'd ask.

Well  HE requested it, many agreed on it. SOOOO if this thread gets enough support HT can deal with what to do with formations and what not.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 04:54:37 PM »
be great for shore bombardment, if so, should allow catapulting of kingfishers off..
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 05:04:45 PM »
 :aok
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2008, 05:07:27 PM »
When i'm not here at school in Maine my house is about 20 minutes from there. I used to drive by on my way to hockey everyday. I've pretty much been in every compartment on that boat as well as on the Lionfish and Kennedy.
You live way to close for comfort.  :noid ;)
See Rule #4

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »
You live way to close for comfort.  :noid ;)

Don't worry, I can bet you still wouldn't know where my town is. :D

Offline Coog03

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2008, 08:13:04 PM »
Battleships would be nice. Especially the Texas i've been there a couple of times with my pops.
VF41 Red Rippers
368th Thunder Bums
Killuminati