Author Topic: Top 10 aces of aces?  (Read 11372 times)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Re: Murdr
« Reply #270 on: April 28, 2008, 04:13:54 PM »
I said word for word that KOTH and 1:1 ladders/tournies complement each other to give a more complete and thorough measure of "skill".
So you did.  I agree.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
Re: Murdr
« Reply #271 on: April 28, 2008, 04:28:35 PM »
What is the skill he is missing?
The en vouge trick duel move of the month club newsletter.  I've seen a lot of things in duels that you don't come across in the arenas...Or if you do, you laugh, because you're under no obligation to immediately 5G reverse back and nibble on the bait.  I remember haning out in the DA years ago with a pretty good pilot who does not normally duel.  He was perplexed with a merge another guy was using.  I tried to explain to him the geometry of what was going on, and IIRC he adapted to it then.  So was that pilot like not skilled because he wasn't up to date on the latest trick dueling move?

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
Re: Top 10 aces of aces?
« Reply #272 on: April 28, 2008, 04:32:07 PM »
Maybe we should just drop the Top 10 thingy? Everyone has some pilots that he respects for skill, or that he respects for attitude & manners (I place that WAY above any "skillz" in cartoon planes) and enjoys flying with or against them

Such Top 10 lists suffer from lack of common criterias, favoritism, underestimation of low-profile players in off-peak timezone, "aces were much better in AH1" nostalgica and so on.  They are as valid & useful as other crappy lists like "500 Greates Albums of All Time"
No way!  It's good entertainment.  If nothing else I get a good laugh out of some names being brought up.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #273 on: April 28, 2008, 04:32:39 PM »
Find some way to get CMs the power to remove icons (or limit them to range+planetype) after the no-joy, and mute all players anywhere but on one open channel (no PMs, no squad text), and strictly limit them to range when in the tower, and KOTH would be a lot more fun and challenging.
A slow radar dot update would still stop the wabbits from avoiding fights, but without the gameid icon, players would actualy have to make an effort to get a shot at the wabbit.
This is a pretty much official event for AH, so it really ought to have HTC's attention.  It'd be an improvement very worthy of the effort, I think.

1 Arena Icon settings for CMs is on the CM wishlist. Until then we were hoping people would stand tall and obey the rules in the events they prticipate in. IMO thats not too much to ask for but I guess I've been proven completely wrong on that account.

2 In order for people to fly to the closest fight they need timely radar updates.

3 IMO, HTC has bigger fish to fry dealing with Combat Tour, updating things that need updating and fixing things that need fixing.
and again, If the people in KOTH actually obeyed the rules, 90% of these problems would not crop up. Again, I was incorrect in thinking people would actually obey the rules that we go over and are in print.

Maybe it should be required that all participants of KOTH film their flight and send it in before anyone is called a winner.  If you don't send your film in, you can't participate in the next one.  Just an idea.

A]That would definately add to the KOTH CMs workload and we usually try to get results out soon as we can. But even this is not a perfect fix. The [edit>]mentally challenged, clueless dolt, person stuck with an ID10T error[<edit] who break the rules will usually slither around and try to break them again as soon as you fix them.
Truely a shame you have to dumb down as much as possible for the lowest idiot common denominator as opposed to treating people with some respect and expecting some respect back. A total arena mute wouldn't fix anything either.

I always relied on peoples honor when participating in KOTH, and it seems there isn't much. How silly of me to expect people to be honorable when flying in KOTH.
Maybe this event is unrunable the way it should be run with the present players and tools the CM can use.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 05:02:56 PM by fuzeman »
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #274 on: April 28, 2008, 04:36:25 PM »
Fuze you are a rep of HTC as a CM
i dont think you calling ppl idiots and dumb looks to good
try to word it a bit different bud
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #275 on: April 28, 2008, 04:48:15 PM »
"IDIOTs who break the rules"...Well they are... hmm...replacement words, how about "morons"? "dolts"? "buttheads"? <shrug>

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #276 on: April 28, 2008, 05:01:30 PM »
"IDIOTs who break the rules"...Well they are... hmm...replacement words, how about "morons"? "dolts"? "buttheads"? <shrug>
wow dude you have a smartazz answer for everything dont ya?
im not about to get in to a typing fight with ya

what i was saying as Reps of HTC i dont think you should be calling ppl out like that and throwing names around

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #277 on: April 28, 2008, 05:09:15 PM »
BP, he's right.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #278 on: April 28, 2008, 05:10:44 PM »
right?
never said he was wrong

Offline Gaboon

• Copper Member
« Reply #279 on: April 28, 2008, 05:26:01 PM »
Alot of the names on the following posted list I have seen in game and have shot them down many times. Many players in the game have their niche in the way they fly. Many perfer the turn and burn, many perfer the Boom and Zoom, and many many perfer the HO above all. but for my money I can only think of 1 flier that I respect above all others in a fighter and that is Stang. In bombers 999000 and tatertot are very deadly if your attack on them isnt perfect. I have no problem attacking any bombers and bombers are first on my hit list anything else is a snack. Many of the names on peoples list I have never heard of let alone even seen in game. You cant base a fliers skill on the score one piles up because there are ways to bend the scoring system in ones favor with out ever seeing another player. there are ways to bend the system while flying ACM to gain an advantage over another plane which I dont think the programers intended to have used while in combat. I for one dont take short cuts I play the game the way it was intended to be played IMO. Case in point the use of trim tabs while in combat. Trim wasnt ment for combat it was intended to trim out a plane for even keel flying hands off, to keep the plane trim as fuel tanks, ammo and ordnance were expended. One can see in an instant if the other flier is using trim to gain tighter turns while in ACM manuvers. If one is in a pure turn and burn plane using trim that plane will be that much better in a fight. if you take the 2 same planes with same loadout and one flier uses trim and the other doesnt I can tell you which plane will come out the winner good stick or great stick it doesnt matter the trim plane will win. My top 5 picks and their planes are as follows Stang P-51, Blukitty Spitfire, Livi Spitfire, Fester 109, Shane La7

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #280 on: April 28, 2008, 05:31:48 PM »
Just an FYI to anyone...
The only time trim would help your turn rate is if your stick is already full back, and you still need more elevator. This would only be the case at higher speeds in some planes where you can not exert enof stick force.

Offline Gaboon

• Copper Member
« Reply #281 on: April 28, 2008, 05:39:42 PM »
Hold the phone I totally forgot about this other flier Murdr p38 that makes 6 on my list

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #282 on: April 28, 2008, 06:28:32 PM »
Alot of the names on the following posted list I have seen in game and have shot them down many times. Many players in the game have their niche in the way they fly. Many perfer the turn and burn, many perfer the Boom and Zoom, and many many perfer the HO above all. but for my money I can only think of 1 flier that I respect above all others in a fighter and that is Stang. In bombers 999000 and tatertot are very deadly if your attack on them isnt perfect. I have no problem attacking any bombers and bombers are first on my hit list anything else is a snack. Many of the names on peoples list I have never heard of let alone even seen in game. You cant base a fliers skill on the score one piles up because there are ways to bend the scoring system in ones favor with out ever seeing another player. there are ways to bend the system while flying ACM to gain an advantage over another plane which I dont think the programers intended to have used while in combat. I for one dont take short cuts I play the game the way it was intended to be played IMO. Case in point the use of trim tabs while in combat. Trim wasnt ment for combat it was intended to trim out a plane for even keel flying hands off, to keep the plane trim as fuel tanks, ammo and ordnance were expended. One can see in an instant if the other flier is using trim to gain tighter turns while in ACM manuvers. If one is in a pure turn and burn plane using trim that plane will be that much better in a fight. if you take the 2 same planes with same loadout and one flier uses trim and the other doesnt I can tell you which plane will come out the winner good stick or great stick it doesnt matter the trim plane will win. My top 5 picks and their planes are as follows Stang P-51, Blukitty Spitfire, Livi Spitfire, Fester 109, Shane La7
Shane?   No way in hell is the the best in the La7.   Sorry.   He's good, but not THAT good. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #283 on: April 28, 2008, 06:56:42 PM »
<snip>
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

m00t, do me a favor? Please send me the entire film those screenshots were taken from.
fuzeman at hitechcreations dot com
Thank-you.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #284 on: April 28, 2008, 08:29:15 PM »
I didn't mean for you guys to review every film, just save them in case there are any questions in the future.  Just like some sports take blood samples, but don't process them unless questions arise.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 08:52:26 PM by Xargos »
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC