Author Topic: Okinawa  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Okinawa
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 06:32:02 PM »
IMHO, backed up by my time as a former member of the CT STAFF in the good old days, that is what attracted the numbers (and especially the organized squads) to the CT/AVA - the Historical type set-ups and plane match-ups. The ability to do historical type missions or do something besides furball constantly.

The constant whine from some parties because the other side wouldn't fight the way they wanted or play the way they wanted drove off a lot of the old players and any new ones that came into the arena.

Just my $.02 but would really like to see the AVA get back to that frame or mind and type of play.   :aok

<S>!

Spot on, Jest. I tried to tell `em.  :)

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 06:32:05 PM »
Not EVERYONE likes to come into the AVA just to furball constantly. Others (myself included) like to run historical type missions that incude Fighter Sweeps, Bombming Missions, the odd Tank Battle & even sometimes the attacking and capturing of a field.

:aok

Offline Captfish

• Nickel Member
      • VF-6 Fighter Sqdn
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 06:34:02 PM »
I thought it was suppose to be a somewhat true to history Battle....
 :rolleyes:
'CO' VF-6 Fighter Sqdn

Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 06:48:13 PM »
Have to disagree with some of the statements posted above.......

Not EVERYONE likes to come into the AVA just to furball constantly. Others (myself included) like to run historical type missions that incude Fighter Sweeps, Bombming Missions, the odd Tank Battle & even sometimes the attacking and capturing of a field.

IMHO, backed up by my time as a former member of the CT STAFF in the good old days, that is what attracted the numbers (and especially the organized squads) to the CT/AVA - the Historical type set-ups and plane match-ups. The ability to do historical type missions or do something besides furball constantly.

The constant whine from some parties because the other side wouldn't fight the way they wanted or play the way they wanted drove off a lot of the old players and any new ones that came into the arena.

Just my $.02 but would really like to see the AVA get back to that frame or mind and type of play.   :aok

<S>!

What attracted numbers back then was squad nights. JG3/JG54 and 325th had missions but as you may remeber we hardly ever took bases. Do you remember any of the "Thursday Night Missions" stream and I ran? None of those were "lets milk all the bases" missions. We ran a kind of FSO bomber or jabo raids that got fifty or sixty people in each time. Even when you were CO we had squad night missions that didnt circle around base capture.

People came to the "wars" because they can take bases now that they cant they ran back to the MA. You dont need to milk bases to have numbers or fun.

Yup, I find it funny as well that Tk, Captain, Storch, and a couple of others have been hollering for a furball only AvA room and now that they have it they don't even fly in it.  :rolleyes:

You find it funny that people didnt show up to a PTO setup? Now that we have a ETO setup I will be flying it. So you go back to your "life".
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

storch

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 07:11:44 PM »
Yup, I find it funny as well that Tk, Captain, Storch, and a couple of others have been hollering for a furball only AvA room and now that they have it they don't even fly in it.  :rolleyes:

are you my mother in law?  first you don't want me in the arena, when I comply you whine?? sheesh there are some people who simply will never be happy.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 07:24:59 PM »
I thought it was suppose to be a somewhat true to history Battle....
 :rolleyes:

Hmmm .... "hooky" as that smells (a little more elaboration could possibly be effective, though) let's give this a shot:

Setting more than "battle." The players determine the nature of the battles and how much they mimic history. Staffers can only setup the arena and adjust settings to suit the players. And even then, it can't always be "true to history" due to the following:

- Gaps in the aircraft/gv lists.

- Gaps in the terrain maps.

- Gamey play by whatever percentage of players feel it's justified on any given hour/day/week/month.

- Actual need for balance adjustment to provide a level playing field (even the most dedicated champion of the underdog can get their fill, at times).

Besides, players don't necessarily want to "relive history." At least not all of them, on any given side of the battle. History is set in stone. Outcomes having already came and went and recorded for posterity. AvA is evolving toward offering players an enviroment to virtually rewrite history .... in as much of a realistic and historical setting as possible in the AHII world. That means - adjusting the chemistry of the arena to discourage anything less immersive and encourage anything more immersive. Plain and simple. Player opinion on what's individually more or less immersive ... as well as more or less practical regarding (which, btw, not only varies from player to player but from the same player, at times), is taken into account and factored into what's been tried before, how it can be tried differently (whether to a large degree or small) and what has or hasn't had a good track record so far. (Hell, Fork is running a poll right now. Brave soul.)

The game has parameters, themselves, that were designed to make AHII more practical as an online MMPACS/G (massively multiplayer air combat sim/game). Unfortunately, the need to make the game more practical while trying to keep the simulation immersive is a balancing act, itself. I've yet to run across one WWII example of a C-47 dropping ten troops who captured a town. If I missed an instance, I can still assure you it was rare. Carrier taskforces running circles a thousand yards offshore while LVTs spawn? Nope, not much of an historic recreation there, either. But the game is coded the way it's coded. It's the community, more than anything, that'll determine how much they want to take the tools of the game and use them to even come close to mimicking the experiences of WWII in it. (No ... not "anti-HO" legislation .... actual attempts to give the AvA more of an event/scenario enviroment feel.)

Add to the above that players often claim they want one thing then mope/complain/whine/throw a hissy/disappear when they get it ... (they certainly must be related to my ex somewhere close to their family branch) ... and well .... there ya go. Hell, someone just complained recently in this thread that the Okinawa setup just wasn't their cup-o-tea, even after having claimed all they wanted was a setting in which they could have some good historically matched air-to-air fights. Go figure. Sometimes the staff really is forced to ignore personality flaws, move on and deal with the practicality of the arena.

So ... your rather terse and simple criticism noted. How about a followup with a helpful suggestion or two? :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 08:39:45 PM by Arlo »

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 08:06:18 PM »
What attracted numbers back then was squad nights. JG3/JG54 and 325th had missions but as you may remeber we hardly ever took bases. Do you remember any of the "Thursday Night Missions" stream and I ran? None of those were "lets milk all the bases" missions. We ran a kind of FSO bomber or jabo raids that got fifty or sixty people in each time. Even when you were CO we had squad night missions that didnt circle around base capture.

Yes I do TK, I remember them well. We had a lot of good times back then. But I also remember there were squad nights when we DID go in and take bases or do Jabo raids to screw up the other side or capture the fields. I also remember us pounding the tar out of other squads that were trying to do the same thing.  ;)  Give and take.

("Even when you were CO we had squad night missions that didnt circle around base capture.") Why TK, didn't know you cared.   :cry

People came to the "wars" because they can take bases, now that they cant they ran back to the MA. You dont need to milk bases to have numbers or fun.

I have to agree with you there to a point - but the same applies to constant furballing. Gets old after awhile.

You find it funny that people didnt show up to a PTO setup? Now that we have a ETO setup I will be flying it.

That is one of the things right there that is the problem. If you are going to support the AVA you need to support it not fly elsewhere when you don't have the aircraft you like. I am not singling you TK or JG-54 out for this either - many are guilty of it. More of the squads need to look at coming back and fly a set couple of squad nights in the AVA to help up numbers - thus upping interest and hopefully attracting new players that will stay in the process.

Each squad that is going to support the AVA needs to fly these squad nights - good or bad aircraft sets. Due to the law of averages sometimes the Allies will have the lousy plane sets and sometimes the Axis. The AVA Staff should make sure this is a regular tradeoff so all sides get to fly their respective birds on a regular basis.

Guys, I don't pretend to know all the answers BUT we know what WON'T work - if we want the AVA to improve we ALL need to cut the squeaking and Moaning about everything, support the AVA Staff, and mainly come back and FLY in the AVA and try to make the arena a better place for all of us to fly.

TK, you, Storchie and the rest of JG-54's Hooligans get your fingers out and come back to flying regular squad nights in the AVA. :aok
Maybe we can work out something where all the big squads will meet up in the AVA on at the same time. Be nice to see it like the old days - not like some kind of "Ghost Town."   

<S>!
<S>!
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 08:21:18 PM »
are you my mother in law?  first you don't want me in the arena, when I comply you whine?? sheesh there are some people who simply will never be happy.

I'm not the one whining. I and many others have been happy with the AvA wars. Your the one that took your ball and went off to the MWA. I just point that out when you come in here whining about not having your furball AvA arena.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 08:59:58 PM »

That is one of the things right there that is the problem. If you are going to support the AVA you need to support it not fly elsewhere when you don't have the aircraft you like. I am not singling you TK or JG-54 out for this either - many are guilty of it. More of the squads need to look at coming back and fly a set couple of squad nights in the AVA to help up numbers - thus upping interest and hopefully attracting new players that will stay in the process.

Each squad that is going to support the AVA needs to fly these squad nights - good or bad aircraft sets. Due to the law of averages sometimes the Allies will have the lousy plane sets and sometimes the Axis. The AVA Staff should make sure this is a regular tradeoff so all sides get to fly their respective birds on a regular basis.

Guys, I don't pretend to know all the answers BUT we know what WON'T work - if we want the AVA to improve we ALL need to cut the itching and Moaning about everything, support the AVA Staff, and mainly come back and FLY in the AVA and try to make the arena a better place for all of us to fly.

TK, you, Storchie and the rest of JG-54's Hooligans get your fingers out and come back to flying regular squad nights in the AVA. :aok
Maybe we can work out something where all the big squads will meet up in the AVA on at the same time. Be nice to see it like the old days - not like some kind of "Ghost Town."   

<S>!
<S>!

Iv never liked PTO setups. They all end up the same. One or two fights allies come in co-alt get out turned then come in 5-10k higher the the fight and B&Z. That coupled with the CV ack and 5"ers isnt my cup of tea. Last week I decided to take some time off from AH and work on some skins. It juse happened to be a non back capture week and and PTO setup.

I dont mind "the war" I just wish it didnt circle around base capture or porking of fields.

I'm not the one whining. I and many others have been happy with the AvA wars. Your the one that took your ball and went off to the MWA. I just point that out when you come in here whining about not having your furball AvA arena.

Yea sounds like you whining. First you talk trash about how much people play the game then when they dont play you talk trash about how they arent playing.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 09:18:43 PM »
If you are going to support the AVA you need to support it not fly elsewhere when you don't have the aircraft you like.

There is much wisdom in this.

- oldman

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 09:58:39 PM »

Iv never liked PTO setups. They all end up the same. One or two fights allies come in co-alt get out turned then come in 5-10k higher the the fight and B&Z. That coupled with the CV ack and 5"ers isnt my cup of tea. Last week I decided to take some time off from AH and work on some skins. It juse happened to be a non back capture week and and PTO setup.

I dont mind "the war" I just wish it didnt circle around base capture or porking of fields.

Yea sounds like you whining. First you talk trash about how much people play the game then when they dont play you talk trash about how they arent playing.

Hello, you do know what the US tactics were in the PTO don't you? One was don't turn with them. Use your planes advantages againt them.

As for the whining, you and Storch do more than everyone else combined. Both if you whined when I came in and shot both of you down in the PTO map. You even accused me of running away to the AI. Of course I'm still trying to figure that one out since I killed you both and yes I did dive in on you and no there wasn't anyone else around. I'm not stupid to get low on the deck in a Jug turn fighing KI-84s. By the way where is this film you said you had of me anyway? You know the one where you said I was in a P-51 at the time until I showed my stats showing that it was a Jug?

Get a life and stop wasting 16 hours a day in game.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks

Offline BlueTop

• Zinc Member
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 11:04:12 PM »
Hello, you do know what the US tactics were in the PTO don't you? One was don't turn with them. Use your planes advantages againt them.

As for the whining, you and Storch do more than everyone else combined. Both if you whined when I came in and shot both of you down in the PTO map. You even accused me of running away to the AI. Of course I'm still trying to figure that one out since I killed you both and yes I did dive in on you and no there wasn't anyone else around. I'm not stupid to get low on the deck in a Jug turn fighing KI-84s. By the way where is this film you said you had of me anyway? You know the one where you said I was in a P-51 at the time until I showed my stats showing that it was a Jug?

That doesn't sound very Canadean like TK   :frown:

BT

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2008, 05:56:39 AM »

This isnt real life. Back then when they died they didnt go back to the tower. So you trying to fly "historical" to cover up your lack of skill isnt working. I have around 600 films in my folder I looked at about fifty then said screw it. Because you arent worth my time. So you get a life and stop crying when we do play and when we dont play.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2008, 08:34:48 AM »
So you trying to fly "historical" to cover up your lack of skill isnt working.

Well, it sure seemed to work that night against you and Storch that night. What I find so funny is you whining because an Allied player won't fly on the deck agaisnt you while your flying a Axis plane that has better turning ability, better climb rate, and probably a better acceleration as well. One of the biggest strengths of the American fighters was its diving ability. So it sounds like you want the Allied players to fly with one arm tied behind thier back.

I think that pretty much shows who is doing the whining.

As for the film, I doubt there was ever one in the first place. Otherwise you would have realised I was in a Jug and not a Pony.

As for you guys playing, I don't have a problem with it. I do have a problem with you guys whining and hollering about wanting a personal dueling arena. This is the Axis vs Allies room. Not a furball arena.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2008, 09:11:38 AM »
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner