Author Topic: Re: Roll rate from In Pursuit  (Read 277 times)

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Re: Roll rate from In Pursuit
« on: May 20, 2008, 08:26:42 PM »
Training NEVER ends !!! I've been flying for years and still learn something just about everytime I play.
Yup... Everytime up is a learning experience.

Roll-rate is a greatly under-estimated qaulity. Like any inherent strength an aircraft may possess, it only has an impact on the fight if you use it, and specifically know how, when, and why to use it. Any fight where there a lots of changes of direction (eg trying get in behind your opponent/scissor type fights are an example) then roll rate is a key advantage. All the roll rate advantage in the world is useless if your not putting it to use. Same with any characteristic: sustained turn, climb, dive etc etc. Its like being in a 190 and trying a sustained turn circle type fight against a spit - you wouldnt try. And vice versa, you wouldnt not employ a spits good sustained turn rate etc against say a P47. Its relative between the two engaged fighters too.

Sounds to me, most of the 190s you have come up against dont use their roll rate advantage as they probably should/could. The Hog is a brilliant close-in scissor/rapid direction change fighter, and the C hog has the punch to make those brief snapshots, as you chop and change positions, count! The quicker you can re-orientate your lift-vector the sooner you can change direction, cause you have to roll before you can turn. You can maximise this advantage by repeating this to make the many small advantages add up to a big one.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 05:37:02 AM »
Yup... Everytime up is a learning experience.

Sounds to me, most of the 190s you have come up against dont use their roll rate advantage as they probably should/could.

I think most people ive met in 190's are purely focussed on atack that is probably what is happening.
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 07:25:00 AM »
When it comes to planes its all about balance and what you are aiming for.

Turn vs speed
Firepower vs Weight

And yes Yarbles the spit 16 is a beast, especially to the late war fast planes set.
It outturns virtually all the other fast planes, has awesome climb. In short it has no real faults, its a perfect balance.

Climb out of that spit into a p38, la5, Nik, yak, go hunt some 190's and tell me if they are still so easy to kill.