Author Topic: LA7 Dweeby?  (Read 2794 times)

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
LA7 Dweeby?
« on: May 23, 2008, 12:27:47 PM »
For all the talk I see on these boards about how dweeby the plane and its pilots are, I am still left asking myself why?

Its funny to see guys who have been on the BBs for a month or two ,parroting the ever present "dweeb ride" chant.

Why would the lala be any more or less "dweeby" than any other ride?

Is it too easy to fly? There are other planes out there that are just as easy.

The guns? There are other planes with better guns.

Its always been a mystery to me.

And now that school will be out soon , we'll have another generation of AH players perpetuating the lala is dweeby myth.

Why?

Inquisitivley yours,

Boner
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: LA7 Dweeby?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 12:35:04 PM »
It's very simple.  If you notice quite a few rides are considered "dweeby."   What do they all have in common?

They give other players fits.

Theer's no such thing as a "Dweeb plane"  only "Dweeb pilots."
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 12:35:45 PM »
The exact same planeset is available to everyone that plays Aces High.

I simply cannot understand why anyone could possibly complain about what somebody else chooses to fly, when those same choices are available to them as well.

I don't care for the La-7 in particular because I just don't like that plane all that much.  But I have no qualms about flying it if I'm in the mood.  AND, I certainly don't care if someone else chooses to fly it.

There are no dweeby planes, just dweeby players.  

My .02.
Toonces
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 12:36:16 PM »

And now that school will be out soon , we'll have another generation of AH players perpetuating the lala is dweeby myth.

Yes, by flying it and hoing everybody =)
now posting as SirNuke

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 01:02:35 PM »
Theer's no such thing as a "Dweeb plane"  only "Dweeb pilots."

Quoted for truth.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 01:03:12 PM »
I second your comments Boner, Shane & Toonces. :aok For myself, I actually prefer the LA5(shhh, don't tell anybody about this lttle hidden gem). :D
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline TwentyFo

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 01:08:27 PM »
LA7's are becoming more appealing to me.

As of late more players are doing nothing but running. A plane that is among the fastest makes it a lot harder for the runners of this game to get away. I am sick and tired of baiting players to fight.

Yesterday I was in a great fight with a spit9 (I was a TA152). We turned on the deck for around 5 minutes. I could not get an angle on him to save my life. Anyways, I ended up auggering. I wasn't mad at all, I had a great experience and I didn't care what the outcome was. I would admit that most players in my position would have just ran and not even dealt with the spit. I don't understand why people feel like they have something to lose if they die. If anything, they have more to gain through experience.
XO ***THE LYNCHMOB***

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 01:14:26 PM »
<-------- Tour 100 Spit XVI Dweeb (And proud of it)

[EDIT]  I just watched The Battle of Britan again the other night for the first time in like 100 years.  LOVED those take-off and landing scenes with the Hurris and Spits and makes me want to take it to some 109's (except my own K4 :) ).

BTW, why don't we have grass/dirt landing strips/airfields?  I bet there were a lot more of those during the war than paved.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 01:44:00 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 01:23:25 PM »
While Shane's comment is correct, in the grand scheme of things, the real answer to your question is that people generally refer to the La7s/Spit16s/Nikis as "dweeb" rides because they have no glaring weakness that can be easy and consistently exploited. 

They tend to do everything at 85% and above, whereas almost every other plane in the set has at least one distinct disadvantage.  Jug can't climb, 190 cant turn, pony cant accelerate, etc.  The 'dweeb rides' can do all those things and, in many situations, better than the rest in each case.

As an example, if you're in a 38J, you can generally out turn what you cant out run and out run what you cant out turn.  These rules do not apply when faced with a Spit16, however, because it can do just about everything better than the 38 can, placing the 38 at an immediate performance disadvantage and without any feasible options, regardless of player ability.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 01:27:32 PM by Saurdaukar »

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 01:24:01 PM »
Double post.

Offline stegor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 01:29:12 PM »
Yesterday I was in a great fight with a spit9 (I was a TA152). We turned on the deck for around 5 minutes. I could not get an angle on him to save my life. Anyways, I ended up auggering. I wasn't mad at all, I had a great experience and I didn't care what the outcome was. I would admit that most players in my position would have just ran and not even dealt with the spit. I don't understand why people feel like they have something to lose if they die. If anything, they have more to gain through experience.

Well said, everything is fine to acquire more experience; surely next time you'll see a 152 refusing a combat "on the deck" vs  a spit  you can have a more complete grade of judgement :)
Nibbio
4° Stormo C.T. "F. Baracca"

Offline Rosscoe1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 01:31:23 PM »
<----hog dweeb  :rock dedicated for 2 tours now besides of FSOs
In game name: 613Rosco
613th SOS Pariah
Been on Aces High for 3 years now.
Disclaimer on posts: Most will be pointless disregard if you wish.

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 01:35:29 PM »
LA7's are becoming more appealing to me.

As of late more players are doing nothing but running. A plane that is among the fastest makes it a lot harder for the runners of this game to get away.

Yeah, especially the P-51s.

If they're not "pickin", they're "runnin".

Damn fast plane too. I been flying a KI-84 alot lately,and I can't come close to a runstang.

P-51s seem to be the new locusts of the game.

Time to start re-uppin my Lala. :aok
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 02:34:43 PM »

I wonder if any of the younger pilots were bragging about "How they took on 18 guys in their La-7 and 'owned' them all", or "How they're the greatest pilot on the game" at school to their friends. Now their friends are going to get AHII and do as they do. That's how I think the HO, Ram, Pick, and/or running dweebs come to be.

To me there really is nor "dweeb plane" just "dweeb Pilots" (as Shane put it). I just hate La-7's and never fly them because when I started playing I just got a bad view of them.

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 02:40:50 PM »
The dweebery is all about the Pilot, I agree. But it seems like a two week trial guys will invariably up a Pony/LA/Spixteen and do head on passes until he/she is out of ammo/fuel. I have made an effort to look for these guys this tour, and it is surprisingly easy to reverse on 'em, after the first HO pass.

The bottom line?

System: You killed 9850295824 #1 :lol

I am not a fan of the LA-7. Short range and ammo load...  But it IS fast! I feel it should be perked because it is over-represented in the game. F4U4 and C-Hog are perked as are the Tempest and spitXIV! Why not the LGay?
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life
If you keep ignoring "Wife Ack" it will go away.