Author Topic: First Kill.  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Newman

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
Re: First Kill.
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2008, 11:56:42 PM »
Eddy is not a quitter  :O

:salute

Newman
327th Steel Talons TFS CO (ret)
CM Scenario Team (ret)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2008, 11:59:26 PM »
Nose down, throttle off, opposite rudder, recover and pull out unless of course you're missing a wing or other vital parts.  Then kiss your a@@ goodby and try again.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2008, 09:15:14 AM »
Nose down, throttle off, opposite rudder, recover and pull out unless of course you're missing a wing or other vital parts.  Then kiss your a@@ goodby and try again.

Eagle, that is exactly what I did, and always do.  Sometimes it works, other times it seems to throw me in a spin the opposite direction.  When you say nose down, are you meaning apply pressure down on the stick (as you sould to initiate a dive) or once you start spinning straight down let go the stick?  I have been flying the F6, maybe they are prone to this type of disaster.  Maybe I will try a Spit tonight and hopefully will have time this weekend to spend some extra time in the TA if I can find a trainer.  I did order a USB adapter so I can hook up my pedals and lock out the twisty rudder on my stick.  I used foot pedals in AW and loved them, I still find my feet moving as I play this game even though I don't have pedals under them.
ODBAL

39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Armed & Lubricated)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2008, 10:38:58 AM »
Eagle, that is exactly what I did, and always do.  Sometimes it works, other times it seems to throw me in a spin the opposite direction.  When you say nose down, are you meaning apply pressure down on the stick (as you sould to initiate a dive)

Push forward on the stick to initiate a dive.

Remember while flying (and stalling) that AH models engine torque, gyroscopic effects and propwash effects quite well.  In the "big" torque motors (like the Tempest or 109K-4) at low speeds it's sometimes impossible to drop the wing opposite the torque, which could lead to a flat spin if you tried to force it.  I doubt this is what's happening to you though as the F6F is really pretty docile. 

What you are experiencing is the F6F's low speed departure (instability).  Go a little easier on the stick.  When you feel it letting go don't over-react... just enough to get air back over the wing.  Relax the stick slightly and lower the outside wing as you feel it begin to depart.

I'm not sure if you have your stall buzzer turned on or not, but between the stall buzzer and the buffeting you should eventually get some clues as to where the departure point is.  The wing generally stalls gradually from the root to the tip so you do get some advanced notice of an approaching stall.  Of course, when your in the middle of a fight yanking as hard as you dare to get the edge and get inside a guy it's possible (likely) to step over that egde once in a while.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 10:43:31 AM by BaldEagl »

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2008, 11:42:50 AM »
Forget everything these fine gentlemen have told you. Dogfight in the Il-2 or B-25 for a few weeks and everything will feel like a spitfire  :P
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2008, 11:50:13 AM »
Forget everything these fine gentlemen have told you. Dogfight in the Il-2 or B-25 for a few weeks and everything will feel like a spitfire  :P

Ummmmm....     :confused:  (In best Dr. Evil Voice)  Right........
ODBAL

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2008, 05:48:35 PM »
Hang in there ODBAL!

I'm not sure how to post stick scaling but lemme see if I can describe mine. Or at least give you a fair starting point from which to personalize.

For all 3 axis' (yaw, roll, pitch) start with deadband and dampening about 3/4 inch from the bottom. for the sliders to the left start with the far left slider about 2/5 of the way up from the bottom and put the rest in a diagonal line from there to the top right corner. Hope that makes sense. do this on all 3 of them and you should experience some improvement. There are those, like akak who might be able to post his settngs for you as I think I saw his years ago. But this should help you.

If you're having trouble pulling out of that spin in the F6, try dropping a couple of notches of flap. That should generate some lift for you. Good luck and Don't quit!

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2008, 06:05:22 PM »
Yep, Don't give up.  If you hadn't already seen them these two threads will let you know you've found your way home:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,128754.0.html

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,210117.0.html

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2008, 09:15:11 AM »
Yep, Don't give up.  If you hadn't already seen them these two threads will let you know you've found your way home:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,128754.0.html

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,210117.0.html

Thanks for all the help and encouragement, sorry about the  :cry earlier, I managed to spend some time learning a bit this weekend and although I still die most of the time, and still can't land even when I don't get shot down, I have managed to gain something resembling "control" of the plane.  I should say, as long as the plane is not a P-38, I still spin like a mother in that one.  I have been sticking to the Spit's for now, and the F6 a bit.  This game is now fun and not frustrating, but wow, much harder than AW, and it appears to be worth it.  I have joined up with Rolex's training squad so that should help.  Thanks again and <<S>>
ODBAL

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2008, 11:40:26 AM »
Thanks for all the help and encouragement, sorry about the  :cry earlier, I managed to spend some time learning a bit this weekend and although I still die most of the time, and still can't land even when I don't get shot down, I have managed to gain something resembling "control" of the plane.  I should say, as long as the plane is not a P-38, I still spin like a mother in that one.  I have been sticking to the Spit's for now, and the F6 a bit.  This game is now fun and not frustrating, but wow, much harder than AW, and it appears to be worth it.  I have joined up with Rolex's training squad so that should help.  Thanks again and <<S>>

Now don't lie.  I saw you land 2 kills this weekend.  I gave you a WTG on 200 but I'm sure your mind was in other places... like Woohooo!

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2008, 11:57:31 AM »
Now don't lie.  I saw you land 2 kills this weekend.  I gave you a WTG on 200 but I'm sure your mind was in other places... like Woohooo!

Your right, I did actually land 2 times with kills, and yes I was Woohoooing a bit  :D.  I found a nice furball fight to cut my teeth in and managed to accidentally kill someone.  As nice as it was, I must admit feeling bad for anyone who actually got killed by me.  I even had some decent 1 v 1 fights over the weekend.  I even won a couple of them which was nice (then I felt really bad for the other guy).  But it was fun, there was a guy on called "engine" who was really helpful.  Still... That landing thing...  I better read up it a bit because I am ruining a lot of propellers landing (which can't be good).

<<S>>BaldEgl
ODBAL

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2008, 12:43:49 PM »
Your right, I did actually land 2 times with kills, and yes I was Woohoooing a bit  :D.  I found a nice furball fight to cut my teeth in and managed to accidentally kill someone.  As nice as it was, I must admit feeling bad for anyone who actually got killed by me.  I even had some decent 1 v 1 fights over the weekend.  I even won a couple of them which was nice (then I felt really bad for the other guy).  But it was fun, there was a guy on called "engine" who was really helpful.  Still... That landing thing...  I better read up it a bit because I am ruining a lot of propellers landing (which can't be good).

<<S>>BaldEgl

If you are an old AW 38 driver, and are flying the 38 in here, then bending props and coming in shedding parts should come naturally.  I know it does for me and I've been a 38 stick forever and a day.  You can always do a search for any of the SAPP landing threads which will give you all kinds of advice on how to land the 38 :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2008, 06:29:22 PM »
  You can always do a search for any of the SAPP landing threads which will give you all kinds of advice on how to land the 38 :)
That would be everything broken, backwards and on fire.... for the uninitiated. :noid

Edit: Almost for got  usually inverted also.  :D
See Rule #4

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2008, 11:45:03 PM »
That would be everything broken, backwards and on fire.... for the uninitiated. :noid

Edit: Almost for got  usually inverted also.  :D

I particularly like that shot of Mensa touching down going backwards.