Author Topic: Learn Who The Enemy Aces Are  (Read 7369 times)

Offline stephen waldron

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Learn Who The Enemy Aces Are
« on: June 04, 2008, 08:55:38 PM »
    If you're a newbie.  One thing you can do to increase your survival rate is learn the names of the best enemy pilots.  Check the Roster and score under fighter.  The guys you are looking for have a kill to death ratio of 5-1.   If you see somebody land with 7 or 8 kills, i recommend you write down their name.  You can BnZ these guys and get away with it, but you better do a good honest BnZ and get outta there if you don't kill em.  Don't stick around and dog fight with one or you'll likely end up DEAD.
    Don't return to a sector if you know a HOT SHOT enemy pilot is working there.  Unless you come back in a superior plane with alot of altitude advantage (not too much though, about 4K should do it), so you can easily disengage.   Like a P-57 versus a Zero.   You don't wanna still be climbing struggeling to reach your attack altitude when you enter the sector.  You wanna be level and fast to surprise these guys.   They do tend to fixate though on other newbies who try to hide under their own flak at bases and CV's.  So you might catch'em unaware.  But my advise is to avoid em like the plague until you get some experience.
     There are plenty of mediocre pilots out there you can practice on.  And even the AI in the offline arenas will give you a run for your money.  The advice about gaining experience by flying against the best in the MA is o.k, if you're interested in learning how to get yourself killed over and over again.  Just my opinion. 

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Re: Learn Who The Enemy Aces Are
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 09:00:30 PM »
The ONLY way to get better is to fly against someone better than you are.

From the day I started flying AcesHigh i would seek out the "top pilots" and go up against them.  Granted, I died lots, but I LEARNED from it.

Flying against mediocre pilots will only allow one to be, well, mediocre.

Just my opinion.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 09:02:47 PM »
and your opinion isnt worth to much IMO :rofl

not you lute :aok

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Captfish

• Nickel Member
      • VF-6 Fighter Sqdn
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 09:05:25 PM »
The ONLY way to get better is to fly against someone better than you are.

From the day I started flying AcesHigh i would seek out the "top pilots" and go up against them.  Granted, I died lots, but I LEARNED from it.

Flying against mediocre pilots will only allow one to be, well, mediocre.

Just my opinion.

True, so True......you must be prepared to die, and a glorious death it shall be :rock......you ever heard the saying you learn from your mistakes well it applies 10 fold in AH....dont hide from the battle embrase it :t
'CO' VF-6 Fighter Sqdn

Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Marshal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 09:10:28 PM »
I also agree with Lute. Go ahead and take on the top pilots. Just make sure you start filming before you get in the dogfight. Then when you are done (Win or Lose) you can go back to the film and see what you did wrong. The film is an invaluable tool in the game. If you can see what you did wrong then you should be able to correct it the next time your in a similar situation.  :aok

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 09:13:06 PM »
Score and landed streaks aren't guarantees, and running from 'hot shots' as soon as BNZing stops working is a pretty bad plan for learning anything but bnz counters..
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline stephen waldron

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 10:03:34 PM »
    Now maybe a newbie can learn something about dog fighting by teaming up with a "Hot Shot" pilot and flying as his wingman and watching the engagement until he can get guns on an experienced pilot..  but i don't see what anyone is going to learn flying solo against a superior pilot, except what it's like to die in an airplane. 
    I guess you think the best way to learn how to attack bombers, is to go up against the best gunners in the game.  I think that idea is lame.  Fly away from any bomber gunners who are really good.  Stay on the guys who open up at 1.5 range and spray the whole sky without hitting anything... they'll soon run out of ammo. 
    You can know all about bomber weaknesses.  All bombers have a blind spot or some weakness.  You can practice diving attacks, head-ons and side attacks.  But none of that is necessarily going to save you from a really good gunner.  Not like just flying in the opposite direction will.  That's way more effective.

Offline Captfish

• Nickel Member
      • VF-6 Fighter Sqdn
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 10:05:50 PM »
 :O
'CO' VF-6 Fighter Sqdn

Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 10:06:59 PM »
    If you're a newbie.  One thing you can do to increase your survival rate is learn the names of the best enemy pilots.  Check the Roster and score under fighter.  ............................. ..  Just my opinion. 

I just started laughing when I read this post.

Check my score. Its like .5 k/d....LOLOL. But that is because I fly from caped bases, fly low into hords, intentionally let people on my six, fly low, and fight any better pilot I spot. If I wanted 5.0 k/d i could have it. But that number means nothing to me. What does matter is the "fight". I usually get 4 or 5 really great fights each night but sometimes none. And I fly A LOT of sorties. Does this mean I am a safe target????? heheheh well just catch me low and slow sometime and we shall see.

From day one I saught out the best pilots and engaged them anytime I could. The best way to alienate them is to follow your advice. If you fight them when you can and get there attention perhaps by acutally killing or even just showing good sportsmanship they will open thier doors to you. If you show cowardace tactics you can bet you won't get one bit of help.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 10:12:15 PM »
Better advice: Don't listen to whoever this dweeb is. He's probably the Tempest sitting at 20k who runs home crying any time he sees a red plane 6k out with anything less than a 10k alt advantage, and pats himself on the back for his "mad skills" after picking the one red con out of the middle of a friendly horde.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 10:18:37 PM »
This by far is the stupidest advice I have ever read.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 10:29:44 PM »
Personally, I try and fight whoever I come across - better (most likely), worse (very very unlikely) or whatever level of pilot they are.

I win some, I lose loads - but I always learn something (even if its just I dont learn easy... ;))

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Wash0ut

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 10:50:34 PM »
Troll...?

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 10:51:15 PM »
On this note, there was a WWII russian ace on the eastern front of course. I forgot his name, but his yak or mig was always painted red. The german would call him the red devil, and always alert each others when they saw his red plane flying around. He strikes fears into the german pilots on that front.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 10:51:47 PM »
why feed the troll??? :rolleyes:

NOT

AKNOT