Author Topic: Radar...  (Read 5670 times)

Offline RMrider

• Silver Member
      • http://
Re: Radar...
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2008, 02:09:22 PM »
As long as we are talking about the kindness between the two sides...

Just had a wonderful dance with Chemdawg. We went at it at 26K. He was in his 38 and i was in my TA. We fought from 26k all the way down to 5K and below. This fight went on for a good 12-15 mins. Every merge was a guns free pass, then we went at it again. This was an intense low speed, flaps out, turn fight. Eventually i was able to get my nose around enough for that 1 tater hit i needed. He fell to the earth with 1 wing, and i sent him his <S>. We both highly respect eachother after complimenting eachother and WTG'ing eachother. "Don't think i didn't notice the guns free passes on every merge" he said. "This was truly a gentlemens duel"

Chem, i want to give you a HUGE  :salute.

That was a great fight, one of the best i've ever been in, and I look forward to more in the future.  :aok
MDStampf - JG11 'Sonderstaffel'
Sgt Stampfli, USMC

Offline OldBull

• Copper Member
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2008, 02:32:50 PM »
Thanks guys, and I don't mean to preach, at all.

Now, if there was a couple hundred guys in the Arena, I would say..."whatever" about the radar dar bars.  That is not the case now, however.  Some kind of "earlier" warning dar should be employeed at this time, or in the near future, based on the current population, and the desire to promote action.  Now I see all great things coming down the road for the AvA.  Mark my words, it's moving closer and closer to a round the clock arena.  You can see it already.  Be a positive part of this growth, and always support the Arena in public.  It's not perfect right now, but I would venture to say that most everyone agrees it's moving in the right direction.  At least these bbs are now looking somewhat like a productive conversation medium, compared to the past.  Let's not digress ourselves here, into that muck, rather pool our thoughts, ideas, concerns, opinions, desires, observations, together in an effort to shorten the time it takes to find the best possible situation for all players, and create a really exciting, fun, historically based Arena for all interested in a more true to life WW2 experience.

My whole point is, that when the discussion is begun in a way, or goes down the wrong path, people shut down, and all productive communication comes to an end.  Wanna piss off your foeman?  Do it in game, as HT says. Shoot him down, bomb his taverns,...steal his women,...etc... The forum is the place to share ideas and reap the benefits of our collective thoughts.
I agree with Stampf, these are words of wisdom, althought being a bomber pilot I am sure we probably not quite see eye to eye on the dar-bar issue, but  I am encouraged by what I am seeing in here as of late and I am also excited to see the AH staff offer this change of direction, true it will never be everything that each of us want, but I have found that to be true in life as well.
Maj OldBull
XO Avengers
OldBull
XO ~Avengers~

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2008, 05:07:06 PM »
My 2 centskis.

Don't know all the options for dar, although darbar in enemy territory seems a bit gamey IMHO. We used to fly large scale opposing squad based missions with only field based dar. Yes, it was boring at times, but there were times where it was sheer terror. I guess those times seemed more intense due to the "fog of war" if you will. We also didn't have flashy fields or arrows to point us out.

But that was another universe I guess. Like I said, I don't know all the options available. And I'm sure that a common ground can be found when its all laid out. Just need to keep the comm lines clear of personal attacks, and keep constructive about it all. The CM's will get it together I'm sure. This will be a good test bed to sort the settings. And if we have some fun in the process, then its a bonus. :)
Debdenboys.comAdministrator

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2008, 06:29:04 PM »
Totally offtopic here now, sorry for that.

33Vortex, weren't you from Stockholm? You should start planning a trip to Finland in April, as we'll be having our 6th annual spring meeting of the Finnish AH'ers, you should definitely come and join the fun. As you seem to have some ideas on how the game (or arena) should progress, you could discuss them with a group of like-minded players, have some beer, fly some duels with us Finns, enjoy the sauna :D, drink some of the FlakPanzerOil.

The above text applies to everyone, we've had foreign guests the previous two years, but as Vortex is probably the closest person in AH to Finland this far, I addressed the invitation to him.

/end offtopic

On topic: Maybe someone (Fork :)) could suggest to HTC that separate settings could be applied when the number of players exceeds a set amount. Say, if you enter 20 to be the limit, if the number of players is below 20 dot dar would be enabled, but if the number of players would be over 20 then different predetermined settings would be applied. Just an idea, and I'm sure that Dale and crew have something better to do than finetune the AvA arena at the moment...
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Chemdawg

• Copper Member
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2008, 12:49:10 AM »
Just had a wonderful dance with Chemdawg. We went at it at 26K. He was in his 38 and i was in my TA. We fought from 26k all the way down to 5K and below. This fight went on for a good 12-15 mins. Every merge was a guns free pass, then we went at it again. This was an intense low speed, flaps out, turn fight. Eventually i was able to get my nose around enough for that 1 tater hit i needed. He fell to the earth with 1 wing, and i sent him his <S>. We both highly respect eachother after complimenting eachother and WTG'ing eachother. "Don't think i didn't notice the guns free passes on every merge" he said. "This was truly a gentlemens duel"

RMRider,

Thank you sir for the praise. It was an absolutely awsome fight.

Changing gears a little.... because of those few instances like this one, where you feel great after a fight, regardless of the outcome I wanted to say a few words.

I can still be considered a new member flying here for about a month. I attribute my few successes, so far, due to the many missing wings, pilot wounds and explosive deaths given by some of the best sticks in the arena. I say arena because I usually dont venture out of the AvA and therefore can not say otherwise. I have to agree with Stampf on the topic of better overall relations. The majority of the learning for me, was received after fights when the axis player would offer a tidbit of constructive criticism and instead of me blowing up and getting defensive I accepted it eagerly. Why? Because I was still a newbie who wanted to learn how to fight better. If these relations break down, the newer players will never get the same chance I did. I dont want to sound like I am a good fighter pilot, because I do not consider myself to be one, I just want the other noobs to get the helping hand I did.

Anyhow, this is just one of the many reasons to keep it civil.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 12:51:28 AM by Chemdawg »

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2008, 08:19:53 AM »
Break it up you guys. No fraternizing with the enemy.  ;)

I checked the arena settings and there is a SectorCounterRange setting. 

A 50 mile setting would allow the fighters to find where the fight is AND allow the bomber missions a chance to form up over their own territory before dar bar pops.
JG11

Vater

Offline a4944

• Copper Member
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2008, 10:59:36 AM »
Break it up you guys. No fraternizing with the enemy.  ;)

I checked the arena settings and there is a SectorCounterRange setting. 

A 50 mile setting would allow the fighters to find where the fight is AND allow the bomber missions a chance to form up over their own territory before dar bar pops.

This sounds great.  Can we have it today? 

Venom

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2008, 01:02:08 PM »
Have you guys noticed that there was a disagreement on something to do with the setup, yet the current AVA regulars were able to debate the issue and get their points across without a rash of insults, pursefights, and PNGs? :aok

Well Done.
<S>

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2008, 01:24:12 PM »
Have you guys noticed that there was a disagreement on something to do with the setup, yet the current AVA regulars were able to debate the issue and get their points across without a rash of insults, pursefights, and PNGs? :aok

Well Done.
<S>
Kind of a nice change isn't it. :aok
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2008, 05:40:11 PM »
I've just spent 20 minutes looking for any cons at the only thing that was flashing and found nothing.  This  despite not having any clue which direction the con was headed, or even if he decided to bail afterwards and i was in fact chasing a phantom bomber.  This has only reinforced my current opinion of the radar settings, currently i'm not enjoying CT at all. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 06:58:16 PM by thrila »
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

storch

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2008, 07:45:07 PM »
we were in there last night flying allied and we found no fights.  predictably what you have is two camps avoiding each other as they run to kill toolsheds.  this arena is now allied toolsheds v axis toolsheds.  we did manage to intercept several NOE 190s and obliterated them all in short order but you cannot call what transpired a fight because it was really target practice at stickstirring runners.  yet we have members of this arena praising each other on the marvelous job they have done in creating utopia.  well to each his own I suppose but in my opinion the arena is worthless.

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2008, 08:27:28 PM »
Great runs in there tonight folks. :salute
Debdenboys.comAdministrator

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2008, 01:55:26 AM »

Well Done.
<S>

Most likely, only because some certain people did not post in this thread. It is quite obvious really.  :D

Also had a few great sorties last night, some very exciting fights.

:salute

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2008, 03:46:28 AM »
we were in there last night flying allied and we found no fights.  predictably what you have is two camps avoiding each other as they run to kill toolsheds.  this arena is now allied toolsheds v axis toolsheds.  we did manage to intercept several NOE 190s and obliterated them all in short order but you cannot call what transpired a fight because it was really target practice at stickstirring runners.  yet we have members of this arena praising each other on the marvelous job they have done in creating utopia.  well to each his own I suppose but in my opinion the arena is worthless.

The setup has only run for a few days, bugs are being worked out, and yet there has been some great cooperation by all to start it off. :salute

I think what most folks are proud of is the growth towards a more pleasant environment to explore.  :rock

I agree with you that finding fights has taken a backseat, and hope that part of the setup will be tweaked to promote more fights for those who truly enjoy that aspect.  Simply increasing the icon range from 3k  :mad: for enemies to the MA settings of 6k  :D is a small sacrafice from AvA standards with a big payoff for those looking for fights.

Storch, not only do I agree with your observation about finding fights, I also do value your opinion.  :noid 

Until, we have other settings, I hope that you and others who feel the same, keep visiting the arena and have more pleasant experiences in the future.

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2008, 05:02:42 AM »
Storch, not only do I agree with your observation about finding fights, I also do value your opinion.  :noid

a) I regretfully disagree, because of his behaviour and attitude ingame as well as on the boards. Respect has to be mutual my friend, you can not give and not recieve. Balance has to be achieved in any type of relationship and if one does not give the other has to give more, it is not sustainable.

b) Due to the fact that JG54 has switched sides from night to night, even been on different sides at one time occasionally, they are breaking a code of conduct in the BoA. It should be a official rule of the AvA during campaigns such as BoA that you pick a side, then stick to it. Squads that can not stick to that rule are unsuitable to play in the arena.

Am I completely out on a hike here or do anyone else agree?

I think this arena is the best by far right now. Sure there are some issues but they can be worked out I'm sure. Negative posts have no place on these boards, constructive criticism if any is what we want to hear. If you can't deliver that, shut up.

That's my €0.02.  :D

:salute

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.