Author Topic: Same sex weddings could be economic boon?  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Trell

• Nickel Member
Re: Same sex weddings could be economic boon?
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2008, 04:26:50 PM »
When they get a vote,    Get mine yet? :)

If they can vote they get the same rights, 

One of those things that kind of sucks when you let people vote.  Give the black man a vote,  and now he wants to go to the same schools.   Give women the vote,  and now they want to work.   Kinda sucks huh?:)

Now that gays quit hiding  they get to use their wallet and vote to get what they want.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 04:32:36 PM by Trell »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2008, 08:19:07 PM »
But who are you to judge if a man and a sheep do not have love, and who are you to say that a man and a sheep cannot marry?  They have equal rights, just like men and women!

Did you get my point yet? ;)

So I guess in a conservative state like Florida, it's the gay's fault that bestiality is legal or that repeated attempts to make it illegal have failed?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2008, 08:37:50 PM »
So I guess in a conservative state like Florida, it's the gay's fault that bestiality is legal or that repeated attempts to make it illegal have failed?

ack-ack
Perhaps it is because the politicians have bigger fish to fry (passing laws) such as teaching Floridians how to vote without being confusedy? Or speak english? or allowing unlimited "Depends" purchases?

Or as the Roman's say, "When in Rome..."

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 08:43:00 PM by Ripsnort »

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2008, 09:11:59 PM »
Dammmm and I get Probation....?

:rofl

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2008, 08:52:48 AM »
I don't know how you guys got that I supported subsidized marriage or that seatbelt laws and helmet laws had anything to do with subsidizing one group over another.

I am pointing out the facts.   that two people of the opposite sex are the best way to raise the future generations...  the people have spoken and feel that it is worth subsidizing or..  giving back more of their own money back to them to do so.

That has nothing to do with subsidizing the insurance companies... in the guise of "for your own good" with seat belt laws or helmet laws.

the gays are just lazy leeches in this case.   

It has destroyed the fabric and purpose of marriage....

Unless any of you clever liberals can give me the new and fair...  definition of marriage...it is all about fair right?   

What is the new definition?

lazs

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2008, 08:58:32 AM »
Two consenting adults want a civil marriage?  Seems reasonable enough to me, and I haven't yet heard a good argument against it.  This civil union stuff (ie: separate but equal) is shameful.  Let them in on civil marriage, hope that it leads to more stable relationships in that community, and continue about your business being largely unaffected by them.  Or even better, get the government out of the marriage business all together and let the issue become moot.

The argument that this will lead to human/animal marriages?  Well, really Rip, even you aren't that stupid.

And the argument that churches will be forced to perform ceremonies and accept homosexuals into their congregations?  Ask your local female Catholic priest about how Affirmative Action has helped them get ordained by the church, or your nearest homosexual Mormon who was able to force himself/herself into a local congregation with the help of anti-discrimination laws.  Good luck in your search.  Fortunately, religions are pretty well protected in our society against outside interference beyond causing harm to those unable to fend for themselves.

And and the argument that why not let more than two people get married if we're going to let the gays get married?  Well, why not?  Certainly doesn't bother me if some bozo wants to burden himself with multiple nagging wives.  Really sounds like a self-induced hell-on-earth though, but hey, different strokes...
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2008, 09:06:29 AM »
SOB the voice of reason.....

I bet I'm the 1st guy to ever type that! I happily join Neil Armstrong and Jackie Robinson and those 80 year old lesbians in the pantheon of firsts.

Offline Carrel

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2008, 10:10:47 AM »

The argument that this will lead to human/animal marriages?  Well, really Rip, even you aren't that stupid.

This is the only part of your post I disagree with SOB. ;)

Lazs, I'm surprised at your opposition to same sex marriages. I know we all tend to play the straight party line at times, but you have always been a common sense logical kinda guy and for you to have this attitude is baffling. I KNOW you aren't homophobic, like some of the others who have voiced their opposition to gay marriage.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2008, 03:02:42 PM »
I am not in the least homophobic.. whatever that means..

This has nothing to do with that.   the rules were what they were and they were that way for a reason.   Trying to piggyback off of established rules is being a lazy leech.   

SOB is at least honest and.. on the surface logical.   He claims he has no problem with two consenting adults entering into marriage or even....  multiple adults.

I can see his point on the multiple part.. not for me but.. it would not violate the premis that marriage and having male and female in the relationship is the best thing for everyone in raising future children... no problem

But... consenting adults?   sounds good eh?   father daughter?   mother son?   brother sister?  sister sister?  brother brother... any combination of the above?    with no definition other than wanting to get the bennies and love.. why not?    why are those people not treated fairly?

What if sex is not even involved?  the father/daughter just want the bennies and love each other but sex is not an issue?    Is sex the definition?   that would discriminate against the asexual.    What about cripples who can't even have sex?   

Why bother with any one group getting an exception (gays) over all others and opening up this can of worms in all it's unfairness to everyone but straight and gay couples?

Why not leave marriage as it is and let every other oddball form of relationship get their own form of marriage and rules and bennies?

Or.. you could just dissolve all marriage (the real "fair" thing) and no one would get an "unfair" advantage.

If you don't.. it will be inherently unfair.   We all except the "unfairness" of hetro couples because of the advantage we all get.   There is no advantage to every oddball coupling you can imagine leeching off the system.

lazs

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2008, 03:19:43 PM »
I can say that I don't necessarily agree with, or condone homosexuality or same sex "marriage".  Am I an avid anti gay marriage activist?  Absolutely not.  It really isn't a big deal to me.   But.............

As far as an economic boon (that's what this post began about, right?) I would have to say yes.  To me, at least.

My DJ company does about 25-50 wedding receptions a year.  We have even performed at a few "same sex" ceremony receptions.  Because I don't agree with or condone it as a personal opinion does that mean I will refuse their patronage?  Hell no!

Will I, in the service of the almighty dollar, keep taking their money because it is the same color green as everyone else's, and spends just the same

You're damn skippy!  :aok
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2008, 04:36:37 PM »
In 1967 you would have written that black people have every right in the world to marry as long as they are other black people.

No I would not have. You see, amongst Blacks their are both men and women and they have the right to marry according to the definition of marriage. Which I notice you conveniently ignored and nearly everyone else in this thread also ignores.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 04:39:09 PM by Elfie »
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2008, 09:33:20 AM »
so... no one is going to define what they think is fair rules for marriage now?

I thought not.    It can't be done.  not fairly in any case.   The only ones that worked fairly are the ones we had.

It is like printing all government documents in english and spanish to be "fair".. how is that fair to germans who come here?  to french or dutch or asian?   we have a huge asian population.. what is that?  oh.. they follow the rules so they don't need special help?

Come on.. you liberal feelgooders... I want your new definition of marriage that is now fair.  How has gay marriage made marriage fair?   It has simply extended an advantage onto one more (of many) groups who have a relationship with each other.

lazs

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2008, 09:53:30 AM »
Take the current defenition and delete any reference to sex. Easy lazs.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2008, 09:57:54 AM »
Take the current defenition and delete any reference to sex. Easy lazs.

Marriage gives legitmacy to sexual relations within the marriage. So, to be fair, we should remove sex out of marriage? The question begs, why get married then?

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2008, 10:02:00 AM »
By sex I meant gender... excuse my mistake.