Author Topic: July FSO, Der Zeite Blitz: 1945  (Read 4317 times)

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
July FSO, Der Zeite Blitz: 1945
« on: June 22, 2008, 10:54:47 PM »
Gents, introducing next month's FSO.  Its not how it actually happened, but it could have...

June, 1945...

The problems for the Allies started early in America's involvement in the war.  Succumbing to the pressures of Stalin, President Roosevelt departed from the advice of Churchill and supported an invasion of France at the earliest opportunity.  In early 1942, the date was set, and plans and preparations were begun for invasion of France in the fall of 1943.  What were unforeseen at the time were the losses suffered by the U.S. Navy at Midway and later in the Solomons.  Mostly due to perceived poor leadership through the losses of 1942, Roosevelt lost the presidential election of 1942.  President Joseph Kennedy was sworn in in January 1943, and promised a decidedly different strategy to win the war.  Gone was the "Germany first, Japan second" strategy espoused by Roosevelt.  Stating that the Japanese menace was the primary threat to the country, President Kennedy began to concentrate U.S. power towards the Pacific.  After the Japanese invaded Australia with massed landings of troops at Darwin in late 1942 and early 1943, many of the resources intended for the invasion of France were diverted to the Pacific.  Roosevelt’s plans for Lend Lease were scrapped, with all available assets focused on winning the war in the Pacific.

Meanwhile on the Eastern Front, with the Nazi's southern and western flanks secure, the Germans were able to consolidate their positions in the Urals, and fought the Russians to a stalemate. 

Late 1944...In England, things began to look very grim.  The Eight Air Force bombing campaign was stopped due to massive losses caused by the resurgent Luftwaffe.  Daily battles were fought in the air over the English Channel with heavy losses for both sides.  While the defense of Britain was never in doubt, offensive options for the Allies in Western Europe narrowed quickly.  As the American campaign in the Pacific culminated, new American B-29's were being readied to be flown from bases in Ireland, Scotland, and Iceland.  New long-range fighters that were designed to fight in the Pacific were trickling in to the European theater.

Hitler saw that the American juggernaut was soon to achieve victory against Japan, but sensed an opportunity to capitalize upon Allied war-weariness and possibly achieve a separate peace with Britain and the U.S. that left its European conquests intact.  With President Kennedy stepping up political pressure against Britain, Hitler felt the time was ripe to begin a strategic air offensive that would force the Allies hand.  His tool, an increasingly experienced Luftwaffe, flying the latest technologies from German industry.

The second Battle of Britain was about to begin...

Frame 1:  11 July, 2008
Frame 2:  18 July, 2008
Frame 3:  25 July, 2008

Scoring:

Objective based scoring will be used.  50% of each frame's score will be for air-to-air kills, with the remaining 50% being divided between 4 air-to-ground objectives each frame.  Each air-to-ground objective will be worth a total of 12.5 points.  Objective scores will be based on victory criteria that will be published in each frames objectives.

Air-to-Air

Air-to-air score will be worth 50 potential points each frame.  The total number of aircraft that lift for each side will be tallied and added together using their respective point totals.  That number is the total aircraft potential for each side.  All single engined piston fighters will be worth 1 point.  All Me-262's will be worth 2 points.  Ar-234's will be worth 2.5 points.  This scoring means that the Allies could potentially achieve greater than 50 points for total air-to-air kills.  For example, if 100 German aircraft lift, 60 German aircraft are shot down, and 20 of those kills were Me-262's, it would equal 80 points.  To reach the percentage score, the total points scored will be divided by total aircraft lifted.  So, in this case, the allies would divide 80 by 100, for a percentage score of 80%.  Then, .8 would be multiplied by 50 to reach a final air-to-air point total for the Allies of 40.  If we use the same example, but 50 of those aircraft are Me-262's that are shot down, the Allies would score 110 points, which when divided by 100 would equal 110%.  That percentage times 50 would give the Allies 55 air-to-air points.

Air-to-Ground

Air-to-ground score will be worth 50 potential points each frame.  Each of the 4 target objectives will be worth 12.5 points to either side.  The Allies and Germans will be awarded points based on victory conditions listed in each frame’s objectives.  Target objectives will consist of strategic targets only.  Each objective will have its own victory conditions that will define who receives points, and for what destruction criteria.  Both sides will have an equal potential to score the same points for each objective.

Plane Set:

German

Me-262 (64 maximum)
Ar-234 (64 maximum, formations enabled)
Bf-109K4
Fw-190D9
Ta-152 (64 maximum)

Allied

Tempest (64 maximum)
Spit 14 (64 maximum)
P-51D
P-47N   (64 maximum)
Spit 16

Special Rules:

Manual calibration will be used for bombers

Arena Settings:

--BoB Map
   --Fuel Burn 1.0
   --Icons Short
   --.3 Ack
   --Fighter and Bomber Warning Range 52,800 (10 miles)
   --Tower Range 52,800 (10 Miles, To Match Warning Range)
   --Visibility 17 Miles
   --Wind speed will vary with altitude
   --Radar Off
   --Enemy Collisions On
   --Friendly Collisions Off
   --Killshooter Off
   --Takeoff time per weekly objectives

"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
Re: July FSO, Der Zeite Blitz: 1945
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 10:59:27 PM »
64 Me-262s? I think that 64 262s may be tipping the scale a tad to much, in DGS we only had 2 262's a frame and that made an immense diffrence. Mabey only have a Maximum of only 32 262s?

Just a thought....

The event looks like a ton of fun either way though. :D
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 11:00:42 PM »
64 Me-262s? I think that 64 262s may be tipping the scale a tad to much, in DGS we only had 2 262's a frame and that made an immense diffrence. Mabey only have a Maximum of only 32 262s?

Just a thought....

Let the games begin...   :D
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 11:38:11 PM »

Just a thought....

A couple of things to keep in mind, 262's are not the easiest plane to fly offensively. They must be flown a very specific way, and they require above average skill to be effective in a fighter to fighter engagement. The only thing that is easy to do with them is RUN. :D

A 262 can be dominant, but not all pilots can be dominant in them.

I am not going to give any secrets, but the spit 14 and tempest can kick the 262's butt, in the correct situation.

This is going to be a HOOT!!!

:aok
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 01:34:03 AM by SLED »
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 01:27:36 AM »
Disregarding the fact I believe the 262 should be taken out of the game PERIOD, the Ar-234s are going to be another big problem to deal with as well. Allied fighters will basically have one pass and the bombers will be past and out of range.

I'll give you that it's hard to judge what's going to happen when this is actually played out, but on PAPER it looks like a gross mismatch in favor of the Axis.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cthunder16
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 02:53:45 AM »
That's because it is a mis match.

If 200 axis players show up, yuo're still lookin gat over half the axis pilots flying Jets.

Then again, my understanding was that the FSO events were not designed to be fair, but to tell a story of (what if.)

Drackson

Allied Commander: AvA / Campaign Series: North Africa / Italy

Offline Valkyrie

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 03:53:16 AM »
Well the allies have long legs fast airplanes, and can cross the channel to hunt down the LW. It should be interesting to say the least.

Valkyrie

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 07:26:41 AM »

Then again, my understanding was that the FSO events were not designed to be fair, but to tell a story of (what if.)

The idea is to be fun for both sides, and I don't think having to deal with ONE cherry-picking 262 in the Main Arena is fun. If there's a 262 in the area I go find a different fight. Having to dodge an entire SQUADRON of them and not being able to go somewhere else does not strike me as a swell time.

My $0.02
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 07:42:39 AM »
A couple of things to keep in mind, 262's are not the easiest plane to fly offensively. They must be flown a very specific way, and they require above average skill to be effective in a fighter to fighter engagement. The only thing that is easy to do with them is RUN. :D

I am not going to give any secrets, but the spit 14 and tempest can kick the 262's butt, in the correct situation.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 07:48:45 AM »

Couple this with the fact that 234's are not easy to bomb in, either. 

Unless your "dead-nuts" accurate with calibration, you'll be mowing the lawn.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 07:50:21 AM by VonMessa »
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 08:10:43 AM »
The idea is to be fun for both sides, and I don't think having to deal with ONE cherry-picking 262 in the Main Arena is fun. If there's a 262 in the area I go find a different fight. Having to dodge an entire SQUADRON of them and not being able to go somewhere else does not strike me as a swell time.

My $0.02

Imagine if the Allies did this in '44.   :O

:lol  Why so down on the Schwalbe Sax?   The a/c saw extensive action in the war.  I think you really hit the nail on the head there without knowing it.  There won't be MA style 262 picking.  The nature of the operation is not favorable or conducive to such.  Squadron sized 262 flights will be just that.  Multi ship flights with objectives to see through. 

Well flown Allied late war killers, in squadron size will be more than a match for all but the most experienced Schwalbe pilots.  I'm stoked to see a set up like this.  It's rare, like GV's, and weather, and CV battles...

Have fun.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 12:01:06 PM »
That's because it is a mis match.

If 200 axis players show up, yuo're still lookin gat over half the axis pilots flying Jets.

I'd say allies win this one in a walk....

The Arado's best performance is at under 20K, the 262 is pretty pitiful at higher alts as well. Recognizing that alot of the score will be based on 2 variables.....german bombing success and attrition of the german jets I see the following. The Allied spit 14's and 47N's are going to have enough alt & speed to hit the arados awful hard and the 262's/152's cant stop that. The total lack of meaningful defensive fire will mean very few attackers lost to bombers. The Engines on both the 262 and Arado are very vulnerable, I'd venture that 50% of the 262's and 75% of the Arados are on one engine on eggress....if the allies establish a good picket line very few of the jets will successfully RTB.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 12:10:22 PM »
Well I'm not the guy with a crystal ball, (I have two :D) but sure this will be a lot of fun for both sides!

Truth has no agenda.

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 12:26:19 PM »
Give the Allies more Temps and Spit 14s to counter 262s?  :noid
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 12:30:09 PM »
Give the Allies more Temps and Spit 14s to counter 262s?  :noid

You mean, to ensure allied victory?  :noid