Author Topic: What about the Gloster Meteor Figher Jet?  (Read 985 times)

Offline Sgtlead

• Zinc Member
What about the Gloster Meteor Figher Jet?
« on: June 23, 2008, 12:12:48 AM »
I know the British used it to chase down V-1 rockets but It would be a fun one to fly and play with in the game.  And a V-1 flying by in the game now and then would be fun to chase down to. :salute
In God we trust, all others we run through NCIC

When you see that Mosquito easing up on your 6 relax.  Its just me.

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
Re: What about the Gloster Meteor Figher Jet?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 02:00:12 AM »
RUN SGTLEAD!  THE "SEARCH POLICE" ARE COMING!!!!  AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!    :O

Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 04:21:24 AM »
I say yes to both ;)
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline VansCrew1

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 05:26:38 AM »
Meteor:

in the far future. We still need a lot more aircraft before we should even start considering the meteor. Even tho there is not really a need for it. The 262 can do about 100mph more then it and the meteor compared to the 262 has smaller firepower then the 262 with 20mm's. With a max speed of around 410mph it could be easily caught by a planes with some altitude.

V1:
no

just my $0.02
Tour 79
Callsign: VansCrew

"The Ringer"

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 08:30:45 AM »
Meteor:

in the far future. We still need a lot more aircraft before we should even start considering the meteor. Even tho there is not really a need for it. The 262 can do about 100mph more then it and the meteor compared to the 262 has smaller firepower then the 262 with 20mm's. With a max speed of around 410mph it could be easily caught by a planes with some altitude.

Depends on what Mk is modeled.

No. 616 Squadron exchanged its F 1s for the first Meteor F 3s on 18 December 1944. The F3 was ~75mph faster.

Late in 1945, two F Mk 3 Meteors were modified for an attempt on the world air speed record. On 7 November 1945 at Herne Bay in Kent, UK, Group Captain H.J. (Willy) Wilson set the first air speed record by a jet aircraft of 606 mph (975 km/h) TAS.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 09:42:53 AM »
Yeap.  It depends on which Mk of Meteor is chosen.   ;) 

I too think there are many more aircraft that are in line ahead of the Meteor in importance.  It didnt see 1v1 air combat in WWII (plane vs plane), only vs the V1/V2.

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 10:10:08 AM »
Yeap.  It depends on which Mk of Meteor is chosen.   ;) 

I too think there are many more aircraft that are in line ahead of the Meteor in importance.  It didnt see 1v1 air combat in WWII (plane vs plane), only vs the V1/V2.

V2? :eek:

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 12:20:39 PM »
Better idea: Get rid of the jets and rockets we ALREADY have, so there's no need to add another one so the Allies have one of their own.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 12:41:44 PM »
Better idea: Get rid of the jets and rockets we ALREADY have, so there's no need to add another one so the Allies have one of their own.

Wow now that's thinking outside the box.. It even makes sense. :aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Sgtlead

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 01:27:48 PM »
I did find an account of only 1 air to air the Meteor had with a FW 190 D.  It was a draw and they both returned home.  Just thought I would mention it, would be fun but did not figure it would get much popularity. :salute
In God we trust, all others we run through NCIC

When you see that Mosquito easing up on your 6 relax.  Its just me.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 01:29:28 PM »
oh yes im liking this :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 01:59:30 PM »
I would love the Metor, but I probably won't see it while I'm around. V1: Never because it was far too inaccurate to have any substancial help in this game.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 04:28:51 PM »
The Meteor did not shoot down LW aircraft in WW2. It was there and looking though,but the LW was already screwed at the time.
It did fire its guns in anger though, and shoot down V-1's.
At the war's end the Meteor III was in service AFAIK, and that would be the fastest things the allies had flying.....very close to 262 with quad Hizookas in the nose:D
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 04:36:43 PM »
I did find an account of only 1 air to air the Meteor had with a FW 190 D.  It was a draw and they both returned home.  Just thought I would mention it, would be fun but did not figure it would get much popularity. :salute

The Meteors were setting up to bounce some German a/c but were in turn bounced by some friendly Americans.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 04:38:17 PM »
Oh, BTW, the Meteor was AFAIK quite nimble. I've seen one doing slow aerobatics right over the deck, and I would NOT have wanted to be inside that one!
Definately the only contest for the 262.
In a fight that would bleed the E's, I'd put me money on the Meteor III....