Author Topic: Stupid car  (Read 1336 times)

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
Stupid car
« on: June 27, 2008, 03:29:20 AM »
Here i am, a nice sunny Friday morning. Driving my car to the repairshop. I had the car in for some steering problems this Monday. I think they missed something.

I got 500feet from home when this happend.

I guess I'm not driving this car for a couple of days  :cry

The Few GFC

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Re: Stupid car
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 03:45:41 AM »
Ouch!  :O
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 04:03:25 AM »
 :huh That must be some allergic reaction to the body paint... Can't blame the car, IMO...
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 04:09:18 AM »
:huh That must be some allergic reaction to the body paint... Can't blame the car, IMO...

What wrong with the body paint? Dont you like red?

The Few GFC

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 04:09:31 AM »
ouch dude, that sucks. Blame the repair shop and make them fix it for free :D
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 04:16:44 AM »
ouch dude, that sucks. Blame the repair shop and make them fix it for free :D

Well that's what I'm aiming for  :D

The Few GFC

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 04:24:42 AM »
Well that's what I'm aiming for  :D

p.s. cool license plate :D

I'm gonna have to make mine "1pLUs44"  :O
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 04:43:55 AM »
That's NOT red dude.... :lol
If they had that on Monday to check out a steering problem and missed a ball joint that bad then you need to find a new shop.
I hope you documented it well, does that camera you used to take those photos timestamp the images? If it's a digital, keep the the images on the card they are recorded on, this way if there is any argument you can produce bona-fide unmolested evidence.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 04:49:13 AM »
bona-fide unmolested evidence.

I swear to god officer, that film was rubbin up on me!  :uhoh

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 04:51:29 AM »
Trust me its red  :P

Not the best picture but still.

And i took the pictures with my mobile camera, ill check if it timestamps.

The Few GFC

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 04:58:42 AM »
As a former repair shop manager don't always assume it was the shop's fault, especially since the repair work was done last Monday.  If the defective repair was going to rear it's ugly head it would do it almost immediately, not 4 days later.  You should act like that and not just "Ever since you...".  Also, it looks like the ball joint on the lower control arm separated.  What kind of steering repair did they do?  Good luck, I hope they fix it for you.  And the car does look pink in those photos...not that there's anything wrong with that, hehe.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 05:33:12 AM »
I'm thinking the repair was probably OK, but for some reason they neglected to check out the rest of the front end while they were there. When we bring a car in for any front end work we check the whole thing out, ball joints, rack ends, tie rod ends, bushes, shocks and anything else we can see. I'm slowly getting the tyre fitters to take more notice when they have the cars on the hoists too. I'd rather they call myself or Baz over to take a closer look at something than have a customer drive out of the shop with a potential problem under their car.
We had a guy bring a car into us last week for a wheel alignment that he'd bought only 2 months ago. He'd had an alignment done at another shop and he brought it in to us because he said "It's just not driving right" They'd missed one very bad lower ball joint, one rack end was ready to fall out, the rear discs were at 4mm thickness (0.15") and the rear callipers were shot as a result and the front brake pads were incorrectly fitted so the top of the pad overlapped the edge of the disc. Needless to say he wasn't happy, he was even less happy with the conduct of the last shop the car was sent to. I wouldn't want to be the guy who sold him the car either. Once we'd showed him what the issues were and explained the need for him to have them fixed immediately he was good with it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 05:35:12 AM by SD67 »
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 05:39:22 AM »
LMAO SD, oh the horror stories we could trade on the automotive repair field.  I had an Indian woman bring in her W124 chassis due to "brake noise".  IIRC it had around 80k on the odometer.  We put it on the lift and found out the rear brake pads had never been replaced for whatever reason.  There were 2 oblong holes in the rotors from the caliper brake pad extenders wearing the metal off of rotors.  I've seen worn rotors but had NEVER seen rotors with holes worn in them.  I took her out there to show her what the problem was and told her the repair costs with pads & rotors and pads, rotors, & calipers if neccessary.  "Oh my goodness gracious!  Too expensive!!" she replied and drove the car out without repairing it.  That was pretty amazing.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 05:52:08 AM »
As a former repair shop manager don't always assume it was the shop's fault, especially since the repair work was done last Monday.  If the defective repair was going to rear it's ugly head it would do it almost immediately, not 4 days later.  You should act like that and not just "Ever since you...".  Also, it looks like the ball joint on the lower control arm separated.  What kind of steering repair did they do?  Good luck, I hope they fix it for you.  And the car does look pink in those photos...not that there's anything wrong with that, hehe.

The thing is that every year we have to check our cars at "The Swedish Motor Vehicle Inspection Co."
They found no faults when checking the car. But i felt the steering was a bit odd so i took it to the repair shop.
They disassembled the all those "things" (not very good at part names in English)but didn't find Anything wrong either. All they could think of was if the powersteering didn't work properly. Just to be safe i bought a new powersteering pump. The pump arrived yesterday and this happend on my way to the repair shop. 

At this point I'm not "blaming" anyone. I'm just happy it happened when going 8mph and not on the freeway.

And yes i agree the car look pink in those pictures  :o

The Few GFC

Offline yanksfan

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 05:54:40 AM »
I'd be interested in seeing the Inv from the repair, anyone who has run an auto service center can tell you this is what makes for a bad day, you know any conversation that starts with "ever since you people" is not going to be plesant. but I don't see any new parts in the pic's, so I wonder what work was done.
ESTES- will you have my baby?
Ack-Ack -As long as we can name the baby Shuffler if it's a boy and Mensa if it's a girl.

80th FS "Headhunters"