Author Topic: Questions with death  (Read 6755 times)

Offline Oogly50

• Nickel Member
Questions with death
« on: June 29, 2008, 10:14:34 PM »
I've been questioning death lately, and quite frankly, it scares me.

I can't believe in heaven, no matter how hard I try... I find it impossible, that when we die, we go to a place where we're constantly happy... forever, and ever, and ever. 

God is the same way for me.  There is NO way that some being, figure, or whatever you want to call him, could have created everything we see today. 

Plus, there are many different faiths and religious beliefs all over the place.  The Indians, for example, believe in many gods, along with reincarnation.  The Christians believe in only one god, and when we die, we go to Heaven with a fresh body.   
But, if all religions believe they are right, then all but one of them are wrong, if not all of them.  Because they can't all exist.

In my opinion, God, Heaven, and every other religion to date, was made up so that life would have meaning.  The Greeks had a god for allot of things.  A goddess of love and beauty.  A god of the sky, and a god of the sea.  But today, we somehow have discarded all that information, and we all somehow "know" that it doesn't exist.

If you ask multiple people what heaven is like, they will always have a different oppinion, and it's always some ridiculous story of how we "dematerialize" and end up naked in heaven...   :huh

If you ask a christian if god exists, they will say "yes".  But ask them what proof of his existence is there, they will probably say "because he is in our souls." or something like that. 

So, in summary, as much as it pains me to say it, I don't believe in heaven or god. 

So, when we die... we die, forever, and when our loved ones die, we will never see them again.

Please, someone, help me change my mind.  I want to believe, but I just can't. 
There was once a saying that goes "If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with an infinite amount of typewriters, eventually they will produce something worth reading."

The internet has proved this wrong.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: Questions with death
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 10:16:09 PM »
Why do you want some one to change your mind? Accept the truth and get on with life.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 10:18:44 PM »

I can't believe in heaven, no matter how hard I try... I find it impossible, that when we die, we go to a place where we're constantly happy... forever, and ever, and ever. 

God is the same way for me.  There is NO way that some being, figure, or whatever you want to call him, could have created everything we see today. 

Plus, there are many different faiths and religious beliefs all over the place.  The Indians, for example, believe in many gods, along with reincarnation.  The Christians believe in only one god, and when we die, we go to Heaven with a fresh body.   
But, if all religions believe they are right, then all but one of them are wrong, if not all of them.  Because they can't all exist.

In my opinion, God, Heaven, and every other religion to date, was made up so that life would have meaning.  The Greeks had a god for allot of things.  A goddess of love and beauty.  A god of the sky, and a god of the sea.  But today, we somehow have discarded all that information, and we all somehow "know" that it doesn't exist.

If you ask multiple people what heaven is like, they will always have a different oppinion, and it's always some ridiculous story of how we "dematerialize" and end up naked in heaven...   :huh

If you ask a christian if god exists, they will say "yes".  But ask them what proof of his existence is there, they will probably say "because he is in our souls." or something like that. 

So, in summary, as much as it pains me to say it, I don't believe in heaven or god. 

So, when we die... we die, forever, and when our loved ones die, we will never see them again.

Please, someone, help me change my mind.  I want to believe, but I just can't. 

go to an open field. look at all the life there. the plants, trees, flowers, birds, maybe a hawk flying overhead. heck..even look at the weeds. all of the colors. all of the amazing life in that one spot.

now explain it all. where did it all come from?

that should help ya believe a bit i think.

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 10:21:39 PM »

What's to be afraid of? Everything dies.
sand

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 11:10:53 PM »
Dont fear the reaper.   The thing you should concentrate on, in those moments of deep reflection, is on dying well.  Dying like a man.  With your head up high and your chest puffed out
like a banty rooster.  What the hell have you got to lose anyway.

Once my dad died I was good with death.  I figured that if he could do it, so could I.

Love you Dad.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 11:27:34 PM »
Oogly you've got some misconceptions on faith.  It isn't sanctioned by reason.  You can't "prove" heaven or hell or anything supernatural.

As far as anything you might fear, you should take a look at the beliefs behind those fears. 
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 11:30:44 PM »
Heaven is different to every person because it is different for every person.  One person's idea of hell might be another's idea of heaven.  That's how I look at it anyway.  Honestly the way I see it is that so long as I die knowing that I changed someone's life for the better than throw me in a volcano for all I care.  Death is death, it happens to everyone and everything.  Why think about it if you don't have to? 

When it comes time to write a will set up your beneficiaries then you can but until then just live life.  The only time I truly thought about death was setting a life insurance policy and having to write my parents as beneficiaries on it at 18 years old.  I rest peacefully knowing they'll have material things to replace me if I die.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 11:50:36 PM »
You're gonna die, that's just the way it is.  No reason to be afraid of it.  If something more happens after you die, then great.  If not, then you'll be blinked out of existence and you won't have the opportunity to care or feel regret.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 12:03:47 AM »
Oogly50,
I have only one thing for you:

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 12:07:59 AM »
Perhaps you will find your best answer in how to live your life.

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 12:19:42 AM »
It's great to see so many different replies to this post! That is what makes us human, and so special, be thankful you are one. Be thankful for everyday you are here... If your time comes, it comes. Not much you can do to prevent it.

We are here now, make the best of everyday.

I'm not one to get into religion, but it has its purpose for some.

"If it is to be, it is up to me"

:salute

Mathis
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 12:22:31 AM »
The best is to hope you die peacefully and comfortable in your sleep.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 12:39:25 AM »
     Oogly, think of it this way..death is the next great adventure, none of us are
really sure what comes next.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 12:51:04 AM »
I liked the book and movie 'The Five People You Meet In Heaven', it is exactly how I pictured it to be; questions answered, loved ones reunited, and completely in your own perspective.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Casca

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 01:06:04 AM »
The best is to hope you die peacefully and comfortable in your sleep.

Not screaming like the passengers in your car.
I'm Casca and I approved this message.