Author Topic: Parked  (Read 319 times)

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Parked
« on: March 13, 2000, 03:16:00 PM »
Last night i saw a red bar over one of our feild, so i typed .move X to get there. There was no tower so i could see the whole strip. At one end of the strip was a 109 (coloured red) not moving at all, just sitting there. I was the only friendly for miles, the remainder of my country were up north. Now, you dont have to be a genius to figure what hes doing (trying to do). Hes just waiting till someone rolls and will take off behind him and shoot em. Anyways, i guess we can expect this sort of thing happening a bit more when we get vehicles, but at least then i can drive a vehicle as well.
Anyway i got into a 17 (the closest thing we have to a tank) and started to taxi, i wanted to lift off and got to the tail gun and get the SOB. I failed. Then the C47 turned up and we lost the feild.
So i mentioned on the open channel that that was pretty lame, considering the base was undefended. That triggered a torrent of abuse, from the said people (no names mentioned). So i just squelched him and his sqaud - simple.

My point is, and this comes up time and time again, but nothing happens: Parking a whatever on the NME strip IS lame, if thats the only way you can get kills, then perhaps you should go back to quake or whatever.

Please HT introduce something to get around this. If this had happend in real life there would have been some sort of base security come out and arrest/destroy them.
We need vehicles or this sort of thing dis-allowed - its just stupid.

Annoyed  

------------------
Supreme Mega-Overlord Spatula
"...perfect for serving"

=1st Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assualt Group=

[This message has been edited by Spatula (edited 03-13-2000).]
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

funked

Parked
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2000, 03:32:00 PM »
Yeah we need closed fields and or vehicles.  Respawning over and over is lame, but parking on the respawn point is the nadir of dweebery.

Offline Arfann

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Parked
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2000, 07:13:00 PM »
Only way to get around both problems is to disable all guns while on the ground. Not historically accurate, but would prevent taxiing troop shooters and parked vulchers. Watched this happen w/friendlies this evening (knights), and had to depart the area and leave the arena. Please, HiTech, disable guns on the ground.

GronK

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Parked
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2000, 07:53:00 PM »
I am kind of against disabling guns at any time.  IMO a gun is a gun and bullets are bullets.  

I am also kind of against "killing a field".  Although the constant respawn respawn enters extreme fantasy.  It is fun to vulch!

One or two B-17's at 35k can kill a field.  To prevent this you would need many many targets on the field to be destroyed for the field to be dead.  Or you would need hardened targets, which is also a pain IMO.

One method I am sure you take a large frame rate hit. The other method you enjoy yet greater levels of fantasy, like requiring 6x500lbm bombs to blow up a fuel tank.

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

funked

Parked
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2000, 10:19:00 PM »
Mino, we don't need hardened targets or many many targets, we just need a reasonable model of the accuracy of a B-17 at 35k.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Parked
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2000, 10:24:00 PM »
Sounds fine Mino i could have parked my 17 on the runway and spank any parked vehicles/planes  

Now, if this is the case, whats to stop the defenders of a base parking a dozen B-17s on the deck firing at planes capping the feild?

This aint a criticism, just an observation. Which is the lesser of two evils?

There has to be some way of combating this otherwise it will:
- make taking bases a joke OR.
- make taking bases next to impossible.

What a can of worms  

------------------
"...perfect for serving"

[This message has been edited by Spatula (edited 03-13-2000).]

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Parked
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2000, 10:56:00 PM »
you ain't gonna park a 17 anywhere and shoot at anything.  you'll just die.  the gunner positions of both bombers are disabled sitting on the ground.  Only the pilot controlled guns on the 26 will fire on the ground.

This was a very big problem right after the gunners were added to the 17, and was the main reason (I believe) that the gunner positions were disabled while on the ground.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Parked
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2000, 11:14:00 PM »
Cave, thats WAS my very point. Guns ARE disabled - i know that - I was suggesting the two possible scenarios. One is disallowed. Which makes it possible for planes (fighters) to sit on the deck firing at people rolling. Which makes it too easy to capture feilds. I never had a Sh*t show.

I was theorising on what mino had said in a previous post.

------------------
"...perfect for serving"

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Parked
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2000, 12:22:00 AM »
Hey Spatuala, I was one of the guilty party the other night with the arguments on channel 1.  I was not an eye-witness ( I was down around F5 at the time) and when the stuff started to fly on the open channel that involved my friends I probably jumped the gun. For sticking my nose in where I had no idea what was going on I apologize.  Hope we can meet on good terms in the future.  
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline crabofix

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Parked
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2000, 01:14:00 AM »

[/B][/QUOTE]
 I saw this happening for the first time yesterday, first at f5, a fellowed countryman parked his plane aiming at the spawnpoint. I got on to him for it, just because these things "destroys" the game.
But he logged of without even replying.

It also happend at f14. But then I really got pissed!
To prevent him from firing on the respawn point, I landed my plane and placed myself infront of him. Killshooter!

Lord he got suprised!

I suggest that you guys will do the same if you are witness to this "superduperDweebish" behavior, even if it means that you might lose a "life".
The dweebs are in every country and we need to do anything we can to fight "unworthy" tactics/behavior!

Crabofix, Svenska Kungliga Flygvapnet.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Parked
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2000, 08:15:00 AM »
Launch in a heavy figher (say P-38 with two 1000 bombs) and pickle them as soon as you're on the runway. It'll clear up unsightly bad guys sitting ff the spawn point very well.

-Westy

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
Parked
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2000, 08:27:00 AM »
Judging from latest statement from Pyro in NEWS section this shouldn't be an issue much longer. It would be much easier for the attackers to disable the planes ability to start, and if they don't the M16 will come and wreck them  

------------------
Ltn. Snefens
RO, Lentolaivue 34
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline mx22

• Zinc Member
Parked
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2000, 08:29:00 AM »
As soon as half tracks with those 4 50s will appear in AH, the problem of people sitting at respawn point will disappear.

mx22

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Parked
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2000, 10:30:00 AM »

Originally posted by Spatula:
Sounds fine Mino <snip>

<snip>

What a can of worms    

Spatula;

Thanks for your reply.  Very true, a can of worms!    

OK, let me be more clear.  Basically you have what I consider to be "Bent Fixes".  This means that an unwanted method of combat enters the game because of the how the game is set up and it had to be fixed.

IE:
  • B-17's acting as Ack
  • Planes landing and vulching at the respawn spot
  • Planes on the ground sluicing troopers
  • Respawn respawn respawn
This is my opinion only, but consider this.  Once you enter into the realm of one fix, you have to enter into the realm of countless reprecussive fixes.  In other words every time you fix something you have to fix the problems caused by the fix.  Etc etc etc....

As I said before "A gun is a gun and a bullet is a bullet".  IMO, the problem of B-17's shooting on the ground is not the problem.  The problem is the geometry and layout of bases, respawn and vulching as a result of no ack.  

In all fairness to HTC, this is not really a problem, it is intentional game design.  Problems are what arise out of players "Eaking Out" and using "Loop Holes" in game design.

Many players conceive respawn respawn respawn to be a problem.  Fix that by killing bases and you don't need BUFF guns disabled on the ground.  Now what other problems have you created by killing bases?    

The arena is small, all the bases could be killed fairly easily by a skilled and co-ordinated attack.  Now you have reduced gameplay.  IMO you might consider that fix to have broken something else.

If you degrade the performance of BUFF bombsights, you require more bombs to be dropped.  This requires more bombers, requiring more players flying bombers.  Does having more players in bombers inprove gameplay or have you just broken something else?

Returning to the idea of having all guns disabled on the ground.  IMO that would be a pretty good fix.  Not that I like the idea of it, but I do believe it would improve game play.

Lastly, I agree with you whole heartedly.  I also believe that HTC will generally modify or fix things that detract, in a big way, from gameplay.  I am very glad they do.

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

[This message has been edited by Minotaur (edited 03-14-2000).]

Pavel

Parked
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2000, 02:08:00 PM »
Ground vehicles may well make parked attackers obsolete very soon, but if not I think the power of parkers could be limited by implementing random spawn points within
an airfield.

On the hanger screen, we could have a
radio/toggle button with Runway/Random as
the choices.

The Runway selection is business as usual.

Random selection would start the aircraft at a psuedo-random location within the field area. Automatic takeoff would be disabled.  Aircraft orientation could be random, towards the field center, or perhaps better yet- away from the map room.

------------------
Pavel