Author Topic: Why are the majority from the U.S. oN here?  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Why are the majority from the U.S. oN here?
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2008, 10:15:16 PM »
That's a crappy thing to say!

Better say more militaristic.

Germany has a fundamentally different outlook on military themes & issues.

For example, there are no such shows like "dogfights" in Germany. Neither any other shows about any war "heroes".
Only very few documentaries about today's German military and they are very different from American ones (almost completely devoid of any patriotism).
A game equivalent to "Americas Army" produced by the Bundeswehr would result in a public political outrage.

Documentaries on WWII are much more likely to concentrate (or trying to, quality isn't guaranteed ;) ) on true history instead of telling rather simple tales of battles and courage. And of course there is a good reason for that.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »

usa has 2.53 times as many people as all four.

And still a whole lot more room than most.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline DaveJ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2008, 10:16:29 PM »
You should!  Because that is just crap!

Don't worry, it was an honest mistake. It's edited- once again I meant violent video games, not violence in general. I'm American too so yes I know how offensive you can take that.
~DaveyJ~
Jokers Jokers

Noseart

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2008, 10:34:34 PM »

Documentaries on WWII are much more likely to concentrate (or trying to, quality isn't guaranteed ;) ) on true history instead of telling rather simple tales of battles and courage. And of course there is a good reason for that.

This is one of my buttons, regarding how history is presented and over-intellectualized...the simple experience of an individual who was there IS "true history"...often more so than an attempt at a broad and over-intellectualized overview, often by an individual with a theory to peg everything into.

And the experiences of A. Galland are just as valid and interesting as that of B. Anderson. Something wierd: I'm an American. I had relatives killed fighting with Germans. Yet many times I feel like I have less ill will towards the German people in general and old German soldiers in particular than, well, the Germans themselves.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2008, 10:41:27 PM »
I have never drawn a single drop of blood in a game.

You just aren't getting into it enough!  :)  (I must have at some point, through overzealousness, drawn a drop of my own blood.)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2008, 10:46:48 PM »
This is one of my buttons, regarding how history is presented and over-intellectualized...the simple experience of an individual who was there IS "true history"...often more so than an attempt at a broad and over-intellectualized overview, often by an individual with a theory to peg everything into.

This isn't exactly what I meant, but that's another discussion more suited to Oclub ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Threeup

• Copper Member
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2008, 11:29:32 PM »
I found AH11 completely by accident, googling for something along WW2 aircraft, there's no advertising for AH11 in Oz and the site is stumbled upon. It's only when you get into it that you realise most are from the U.S.. It's quite a surprise to find other Aussies on line -easily recognised by our ability to appear not to give a @#$% and seriously make fun of ourselves. From chatter I would think a more relevant question would be the demographic spread of your USA combatants. Most crew are from the southern belt from Texas eastwards - I hardly ever hear Californians or north east coast accents - is that taken into account?
That's all irrelevant for 2 reasons.
Just as you can wing a 109 with a typhoon country of origin is meaningless.
At rookland we now have ltmanny who will lead us to victory
The Mighty Raw Prawns

"It's all good fun until someone loses an eye" Rooster Cogburn

http://youtu.be/pxM8XB61ZvU

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2008, 01:08:52 AM »
From chatter I would think a more relevant question would be the demographic spread of your USA combatants. Most crew are from the southern belt from Texas eastwards - I hardly ever hear Californians or north east coast accents - is that taken into account?
That's all irrelevant for 2 reasons.

I started a squad last year.  Of 7 of us at the time we were from Florida (2), Connecticut, Ohio, Minnesota, Arizona and Idaho.  That's pretty geographically spread out.  Don't forget, almost 2/3 of the country lives east of the Mississippi.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2008, 11:10:56 AM »

Germany has a fundamentally different outlook on military themes & issues.

For example, there are no such shows like "dogfights" in Germany. Neither any other shows about any war "heroes".
Only very few documentaries about today's German military and they are very different from American ones (almost completely devoid of any patriotism).
A game equivalent to "Americas Army" produced by the Bundeswehr would result in a public political outrage.

That's a damn shame. After reading some of the stories I've read in a few books lately Germany should be very proud of their fighter pilots.

(I say fighter pilots only because that's the area I've been reading about in particular)

Sure, Nazism wasn't so great... but it's easy to draw a line between the political and the brave young men and kids placing themselves between their families und die dicke autos.

Alas, I digress. Nevermind.

:salute
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2008, 11:37:54 AM »
Motorcycling is all year around no matter where you live. All you need is spikes.

I would find plenty to do in Finland, Winter is Ice Speedway then Autumn,Spring,Summer great expanses of forrests and tundra for dirt/adv riding.

:D

<S>...-Gixer

My recent ride. Pic taken today.  :aok

« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 11:48:20 AM by mipoikel »
I am a spy!

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2008, 11:47:37 AM »
nothing...
I am a spy!

Offline Borsuk

• Zinc Member
      • 5th SFG SOAR Squad Website
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2008, 01:27:14 PM »
I only got into the game after visiting TalonII while working in Texas, had never heard of it back in the UK.

Borsuk
No job too small, no fee too large
"Anything I promise when drunk is sacred. Anthing I promise when sober may be reneged on" Harry Carey Jr.
5th SFG S.O.A.R.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2008, 02:05:07 PM »

Nice!  You should have moved the motorcycle out of the way, though, so that we could see it better.  (Just kidding -- very nice.)

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2008, 05:48:35 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

On ya! Enjoy the ride mate.  :aok

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Connery

• Nickel Member
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2008, 06:07:45 PM »
$15 is alot to us Americas or to the rest of the world? I cannot even drive 50 miles on $15 anymore, makes this game seen like a no brain-er! :aok

Buy a reasonbly sized diesel.