Author Topic: Singer substitutes 'black national anthem' for 'Star-Spangled Banner'  (Read 1138 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Singer substitutes 'black national anthem' for 'Star-Spangled Banner'
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 10:03:29 PM »
Just another racist turd who will be excused because she's black

but......but.......she just CAN'T be racist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no black people are racist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's only us white folk that are racist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's what all the black people say, so it must be right. :D :uhoh :furious
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 11:05:55 PM »
NWA, Straight outta Compton got me through my senior year in HS when it first came out.   

I thought Straight Outta Compton was an Eazy-E record and not NWA? Anyway I do remember us blasting  that in high school. We were listening to "gangsta rap" in our little town before it was cool. Really made no sense looking back since we in no way related to any thing he was talking about. :D

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 11:21:34 PM »
I thought Straight Outta Compton was an Eazy-E record and not NWA? Anyway I do remember us blasting  that in high school. We were listening to "gangsta rap" in our little town before it was cool. Really made no sense looking back since we in no way related to any thing he was talking about. :D

From Wikipedia so it must be true:

Straight Outta Compton was the first song off of N.W.A.'s second album with the same name. It was released in 1988.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_Outta_Compton_(song)

Anyway I had the tape and living near Selma, AL as a young white kid it was crazy because I went from NWA into Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix and back to Luke Skyywalker and the 2 Live Crew. Always rode the fence between east coast and west coast rap in the late 80's. Back then you could understand what they were saying and the beats were always solid.

Back on subject this woman needs to grow up and get over not feeling like a citizen or pack her S*** and go live somewhere else. Singing a flippin' song isn't going to change on single thing but will make your life a living hell.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 11:25:15 PM »
Disgusting.........to say the least.  what say you?

A singer surprised dignitaries by singing Lift Every Voice and Sing, also known as the "black national anthem," to the tune of The Star-Spangled Banner during the mayor's State of the City address yesterday in Denver.

Rene Marie, who was introduced by City Council president Michael Hancock to perform the national anthem, says she made the switch without informing the mayor's office.

Marie tells The Denver Post she decided to switch the lyrics months ago and will no longer sing the national anthem because she sometimes feels like a foreigner in the USA.

"When I decided to sing my version, what was going on in my head was: 'I want to express how I feel about living in the United States, as a black woman, as a black person,'" Marie tells KUSA-TV, a fellow Gannett property.

Lift Every Voice and Sing was first performed in 1900 to commemorate almost 40 years of freedom for blacks in America.

Mayor John Hickenlooper says he discussed the situation with Marie following her performance. "She was very apologetic," he tells the Post. "She meant no disrespect, and she was singing an artistic expression she thought represented love and hope for her country."

Marie tells KUSA-TV she has no regrets.

The Rocky Mountain News says the City Council president has been receiving hate mail, even though he had never met Marie before he introduced her at the State of the City event.

"I'm getting — as if I made the decision to do this — I'm receiving a lot of hate mail," he says. "I've received quite a few e-mails that are quite nasty."

USA TODAY

So why is she complaining about being a black woman? 60% of hate crimes are against whites if they even call that any more. About 37% are blacks, hispanics, and other races, the other 3 % are against whites. If you're a cop and you shoot a black man pointing a gun at you, YOU go to jail. That lady has it made, she should be thanking America.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 11:29:01 PM »
Hedrix played an instrumental. Feliciano and Gaye both sang the words to the National Anthem. The girl that is the topic of this thread did not sing the same words...the song was totally different...not an apples to apples comparison.

I liked Jimi Hendrix's national anthem when I heard it. It sounded really good. IMO, it's not like he shamed America, he just played it on a musical instrument like any highschool band does before a football game.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 02:13:01 AM »
I look forward to the day black americans accept their heritage as americans and stop this constant focus on being black first, american last.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 02:43:16 AM »
I look forward to the day black americans accept their heritage as americans and stop this constant focus on being black first, american last.

I look forward to the day that ALL Americans can focus on being American first and black, hispanic, asian, white, republican, democrat...whatever.....a distant second.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 03:26:33 AM »
I look forward to the day that ALL Americans can focus on being American first and black, hispanic, asian, white, republican, democrat...whatever.....a distant second.
Thats a given, but this thread deals with a black issue, hence the black focus.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 08:50:17 AM »
while the anthem has been "interpreted" in many ways when it has been performed..  the meaning was always the same.

I do believe that those negros who wish to have their own anthem should have it tho..  I also believe that they should have their own country to go along with it.   Lincoln had the right idea.

lazs

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2008, 09:32:15 AM »
This was a case of straight-up dishonesty on the singer's part.  It was admittedly pre-meditated, and she kept it secret from those who mistakenly honored her by requesting she sing the USA's national anthem.  It was a purely pre-calculated political statement on her part, and thus completely in-appropriate in these circumstances.  I suspect if she'd asked to sing both songs ahead of time, she may have very well been granted permission.  As it stands, she was deliberately being devisive and dishonest, and should apologize.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »
Wasn't her show. She was invited as a guest.  What a dork.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 10:00:39 AM »
Wasn't her show. She was invited as a guest.  What a dork.

you're bing too nice.......waaaay too nice
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2008, 10:40:32 AM »
I suggest none of you guys ever invite her to sing the national anthem. That'll show her.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2008, 11:37:59 AM »
I suggest none of you guys ever invite her to sing the national anthem. That'll show her.

i suggest that no one ever invites her into any sort of official event again.... THAT would show her...

oo...and a public apology would be nice too.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2008, 11:44:56 AM »
i suggest that no one ever invites her into any sort of official event again.... THAT would show her...

oo...and a public apology would be nice too.

she'll most likely be on Oprah soon.............and all over BET