Author Topic: I'm new. Need help shaking people from my 6  (Read 995 times)

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
I'm new. Need help shaking people from my 6
« on: July 02, 2008, 06:20:21 PM »
Hey guys more often than not I lose the merge,  other than immelman, scissors etc.  is there any other combat maneuvers I can use.  And could you please post a you tube video.
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: I'm new. Need help shaking people from my 6
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 06:27:46 PM »
First, nothing beats the work with a live trainer.
Until then, the first place to take a look at is http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/
Lot's of basic info about fighter tactics, including merges, forcing overshoots and defensive maneuvers like barrel rolls, many of them illustrated with animated gif's and/or AH2 films.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 06:33:44 PM »
I know I keep hearing that but so limited on time.  I read about the game all day at work and fly for a couple hours at home.  I guess I just need to set the time aside.  Thanks.
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 06:49:18 PM »
I read most the sites twice if not three times, then went and applied a certain merge in one plane most the night. found out quit often when not to use it and what planes it didn't work. i died a ton for like 3 months then it started getting better, start to recognize things and know the planes better. I tried to fly the 51 from the start and found flying the spits were my best way to learn to fly since some of them seem to fly while you just ride along.

I have found the best way to not get planes on your six is to improve your "SA" and know whats around you and where they are at all times.

btw i still suck in the 51.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 08:35:16 PM »
Hey guys more often than not I lose the merge,  other than immelman, scissors etc.  is there any other combat maneuvers I can use.  And could you please post a you tube video.

Sounds like your looking to be a pro by the weekend ! :aok

It frustrating I know, but it will come in time. Just as a yard stick, it will take months before your average at this game. There are no short cuts, its read everything you can get as many times as you can read it with out falling asleep, then its hour upon hour of dieing and trying again.

Film your fights (hit "alt R" to start the recorder at the start of a fight, then again to stop them after your in the tower  :D ) Use the film viewer that can with the game to watch the fight both from your plane, and the enemies plane (double click on the enemies name to switch planes).

The thing that makes this game so tuff to learn is you are playing against real, thinking opponents that have hundreds of moves (all of which you will learn) and will string them together in any one of a million combinations. Take it easy, have fun, and try to learn from your fights. It WILL come with time.

Last thing, questions posted here work well, but setting aside some time, even if its only a couple hours one night will teach you more than weeks of reading and dieing. Get with a trainer.

Good luck, and welcome to Aces High !  <S>

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 10:58:34 PM »
Fly a Hurricane2c with 50% fuel  :aok
Lighten up Francis

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cthunder16
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 01:27:57 AM »
Also the trainers are in relative high demand. If you can't manage to pin down a time with one, you can also work with experienced pilots who spend time in the training room. There are a handful of relatively experienced flyer's who spend a decent amount of time in the training room sharing what they know, and generally just relaxing.

If you have found a plane you really feel you would like to learn, try asking in general if anyone is decent with that plane and wouldn't mind showing you a bit. Simply talk with the crowd in the TA can sometimes buy you a lot of useful information. (Not always as much useful information during the summer. :) )

I suggest asking around in there to get some one on one time with one of these experienced flyer's, then later on when none of them are around get in some one on one time with another new pilot closer to your level to see if you can get what you learned to work on them.

for instance say one day you are practicing with a vet nd he shows you a good angle for performing a good break turn, or split-ess. Later on when you're working with another new pilot see if you can get it to work against them. Share the knowledge though. You'll find that you really have something down when you're able to teach it to someone else.

Just the process of trying to teach it to someone else will help you improve. As you go through and explain it, you tend to figure out just which aspect of it you yourself were doing wrong.

--------

My advice though will vary. shaking someone from your 6 has a lot to do with what you're flying and what they're flying, as well as how much air you have under you to work with, and the closure rate of the two aircraft. It's a lot easier to shake someone at 20,000 feet than it is at 2,000 feet.

I can't really think of one clean piece of advice that will work in all cases other than don't let them saddle up on your 6 in the first place. That may sound overly simplified but it's true. You need to be aware of your planes strength and weaknesses and avoid situation which will get you into trouble.

For example, if you're flying a high speed energy plane like a P51, or 109, you don't get into tight low altitude slow speed turn fights with planes like Spitfires, Yak's or A6M's. If you're in a poor climber like the A6M don't chase a BnZ plane into the vert after you jink and they zoom past you. These are very easy and simple ways to get dead fast. And as a new pilot you won't always know why you just ended up dead.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 01:34:55 AM by Damionte »
Drackson

Allied Commander: AvA / Campaign Series: North Africa / Italy

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 09:47:58 AM »
Well IMO there is only so much that can be tot. I think once u learn the basics its all hands on from there on out..There will be times when u may hit a peak and may need a little help to get over it.. Like myself at this point in my aces high career...I tell my squad members that I can teach em to dive bomb ,and do technical stuff like that ,but to be an efficient killing machine in a 1 on 1 takes a long time of flying and dying..I been at it for 2 1/2 years and still everyday I study films ask questions fly and die :rock  Most important info I can give u is if u want help ,and want to learn leave the ego any place ,but in the game..I have been guilty a few times of getting cocky then getting wooped in a 1 on 1 a time or two :noid That is not very fun for me.Another point I would like to make is this is like a sport in a way ,or a competitive hobby one might say...Some people will always be better at this than others just naturally. good luck and have fun :salute
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 11:10:53 AM »
1 thing, bring up clipboard>options>preferences>flight>stall limiter uncheck it.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 11:51:37 AM »
In all seriousness ... the object is to NOT to allow someone to get on your 6 (or behind your 3-9 line).

I would say 97% of the time, once someone latches onto your 6 ... there really isn't much you can do about it ... you are most likely going to die.

Yes, there are some moves that can save your butt, but they will only work around 3% of the time ... no matter who is on your 6, and especially if you have a seasoned fighter back there.

Since you are new, I would concentrate (with trainers) on how to spoil others attempts to get behind you so that you are never in the "oh crap" position.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline DaveJ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 11:57:49 AM »
In all seriousness ... the object is to NOT to allow someone to get on your 6 (or behind your 3-9 line).

I would say 97% of the time, once someone latches onto your 6 ... there really isn't much you can do about it ... you are most likely going to die.

Yes, there are some moves that can save your butt, but they will only work around 3% of the time ... no matter who is on your 6, and especially if you have a seasoned fighter back there.

Since you are new, I would concentrate (with trainers) on how to spoil others attempts to get behind you so that you are never in the "oh crap" position.

I agree with this. Most of the time an experienced pilot won't be lost if you are trying to shake him. In low speed turnfights, scissoring is perhaps the most effective if you are in a decent turner. There are better people than me who can explain what that is and how to perform one effectively.
~DaveyJ~
Jokers Jokers

Noseart

Offline Hamltnblue

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 01:38:56 PM »
Another thing you might want to try is place the plane in auto pilot and type a message asking them to stop following you.  :aok :noid

Offline DaveJ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 02:16:12 PM »
Another thing you might want to try is place the plane in auto pilot and type a message asking them to stop following you.  :aok :noid

Actually works sometimes. I've been rtb missing parts and fuel and typed over 200 "Im rtb for XXXXX"" and the guy following just goes after someone else.  :aok
~DaveyJ~
Jokers Jokers

Noseart

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 03:15:33 PM »
Push "record". 

I'm serious.  If you spend 2 hours a night flying, dedicate 1 hour to reviewing films.   When you're reviewing, turn on trails, and fixed camera, and zoom it out. 

You will lean how your a/c relates to other a/c in a whole new light.     

Take notes. 

You will see your mistakes- they'll stick out like a sore thumb, and you will learn a LOT from it. 

Be prepared- you're going to die a LOT.  It's okay though, it's how everyone learns.

:salute 

"You rebel scum"

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 03:46:54 PM »

Yes, there are some moves that can save your butt, but they will only work around 3% of the time ...
:huh

about 75% of my kills start on my 6 d-600 or less. :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"