Author Topic: Manual Calibration?  (Read 554 times)

Offline ian5440

• Nickel Member
      • http://rollingthunder.spruz.com/main.asp
Manual Calibration?
« on: August 17, 2008, 12:57:34 PM »
how is it done??

i think my squad and i will be useing bombers in the next FSO and we will need to use manual calibration, so how is it done?
~~~~~~Hellkitty Dweeb~~~~~~
~~~~~~Wildcat Dweeb~~~~~~~

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Manual Calibration?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 03:15:20 PM »
Being a lazy bum, I will just copy and paste from an old thread:

Go to bombsight view.

Open your map, hit U, click on area you plan to bomb.

Close map. You'll see the target alt has probably changed from 0. Could be 1k, could be 182 feet, depends on where you clicked on the map.

Now pick a spot on the ground, and use your joystick to put the big crosshairs on it.

Hold Y, while keeping the crosshairs on this spot using your joystick.

The longer you hold Y, and more accurate you are holding the cross-hairs in place, the better accuracy you will have.

When you release Y, you'll see your calibrated speed has changed. You can check this against your E6B true air speed. If they match, bombs will be on target. If your calibrate speed is higher or lower, the bombs will go short or long respectively.

It's very, very easy once you've done it correctly.

If anybody sees me online, and needs a fast lesson in how the manual bombsight works, I'll be more than happy to teach you. Just send a PM to "ndy". This is "how it was" when I first started playing, and it's more satisfying than the easy-mode alternatives :)

BTW, a simple "search" would have brought up that posting too. Just saying. ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 06:06:39 PM »
why go through the trouble of doing a search when you can get a lazy bum to do it   :D

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 06:36:26 PM »
why go through the trouble of doing a search when you can get a lazy bum to do it   :D

For not having to wait 2 hours? :D
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 12:58:54 PM »
Why not go Lanc-stuka?  :lol

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 01:12:57 PM »
go to the Axis and Allies section and ask for the Avengers, they seem to have it down and are very effective above 20k. maybe they can give you some advice.

Offline Chapel

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 02:23:43 PM »
I don't think manual calibration is on for the FSO's. I think they use the same calibration that the main arenas use.
(Which doesn't involve needing input for altitude of target and holding the crosshairs on target)
Rolling Thunder

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 02:30:43 PM »
I don't think manual calibration is on for the FSO's. I think they use the same calibration that the main arenas use.
(Which doesn't involve needing input for altitude of target and holding the crosshairs on target)

It depends. Some Admins do, some don't. My FSO (The current FSO) does not have manual calibration.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 05:03:17 PM »
If this thread is refering to the 2nd revision of the Bombing Calibration mechanisim ( the hardest one there was ) then here is a writeup of how it should be done:  by Damned Shiva, one my my Squad members:

http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/AH/Bombing.html

hope this helps
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 09:53:25 PM »
If this thread is refering to the 2nd revision of the Bombing Calibration mechanisim ( the hardest one there was ) then here is a writeup of how it should be done:  by Damned Shiva, one my my Squad members:

http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/AH/Bombing.html

hope this helps

very nice write up well done, and helpful
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V