Author Topic: list enemy names  (Read 2258 times)

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: list enemy names
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2008, 11:56:39 AM »
All the good stuff has already been said...... I hate when that happens.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2008, 01:54:18 PM »
I like the idea of the icon fading in from a certain range, instead of popping up at near 6k out.  And It would be nice if it did just say, "con", in red until it got closer.  As it gets closer, as mentioned earlier, it would display the distance from your plane.  I don't think that the icon should identifiy the enemy con's plane model.  Sure you wouldn't know what you were up against, but neither would the enemy.  It would bring a little more realism to the game, while perhaps reducing lag in some small way, by not having to show the type of aircraft that every enemy is flying.  Just my thoughts...

:salute
100Coogn

From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2008, 03:32:13 PM »
What would be nice would at extreme distances but within icon range the icon is light pink so its harder to see. And as it gets closer to you, it becomes more red. Or say icons at extreme range stay pink until "you" look at it for set amount of time like acquiring a target.
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2008, 04:04:36 PM »
not to bad of an idea, i think instead of waiting to land to get your "name in lights"
every time any one gets a kill it should be a scrolling text, at that moment.

but in all reality the game is pretty awesome the way it is, except for the whiners and those who try to dictate what a person should fly.

example: i had a good fight with someone, I killed them and then <S> them because they at least fought, but he would not <S> back, i asked why? he said I don't <S> those that fly the Hurri2c, now to me that is just pathetic!

this was someone that i had respect for, but since than i have to admit i lost all respect for him.

get over yourself, who cares what others are flying, just because you fly this or that, does not make you any better or cooler than any one else.

damm sorry for ranting.  I <<S>> those who want a good fight. i don't care what you fly, heck for that matter i would rather have you fly what you truly enjoy flying, so we can have the best possible fight, win or lose for me. it is all about the FIGHT.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2008, 08:30:19 PM »
Yep Sas_Kid, that's a good idea.  It would really help out on our SA.  Just at a quick glance we could see the lighter shade red icons in the distance, and the bright red targets would be very close.

:rock
100Coogn
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline LarryT

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2008, 04:54:47 AM »
What if there was no icon, until you told the client that you have spotted an enemy.

Perhaps clicking in the vicinity of an enemy aircraft would cause a plane identifier to show up. In real life pilots dont have something pop in to say that an enemy is there; if they failed to spot an enemy, then they didn't ever know he was there. Maybe only friendlies should show up on the HUD as tagged, and only when you click an enemy con (outside of 1k distance) it would tell you plane type. Once a plane got within X distance, the game would assume you see the bandit but you haven't had time to grab the mouse.

Anyone else have thoughts? :salute

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2008, 05:04:22 AM »
Yeah, just what I need to be doing, clicking aircraft with my mouse while operating a throttle with one hand, a joystick with the other and pedals with my feet, You don't wanna know how I'll be using the mouse! :O
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 05:26:56 AM by SD67 »
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline LarryT

• Zinc Member
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2008, 05:11:38 AM »
Yeah, just what I need to be doing, clicking aircraft with my mouse whine operating a throttle with one hand, a joystick with the other and pedals with my feet, You don't wanna know how I'll be using the mouse! :O

Something has to be done. You cant make icons disapear all together because
1. no resolution could give you detail like a human eye with 20/20 vision or better.
2. Even if you could distinguish what plane it is there is no country distinction. So you can not look at a thunderbolt and know that it is from X country.

But at the same time, having icons makes the game less real. A real pilot would have to spot his enemys, and often would come across enemys who didnt know of the pilots existence (giving him and instantanious advantage). I know you watch dogfights.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2008, 06:57:51 AM »
I totally disagree over listing the enemy players names.

Once you get to know other players flying styles you can pretty much know who your up against anyhow.  The amount of ganging that some people would attract would be very unfair.

When people completely disregard their SA to target one indivadual and pass up other planes to come after you just because they can see your name isn't on.  I've played in that situation before and it isnt pretty, yes i get loads of kills but after awhile it gets alot to put up with.

I much prefer AH's incognito method.   You have to treat every plane with respect as you dont know who it is.  If you started adding names and ranks people will prioritse their targets.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2008, 03:21:42 PM »
I think that when you see an enemy pilot it should list the pilots name under the icon of which plane they are flying. that way if someone is warping everywhere and you want to report them to ah, ah will be able to find out who it is and then possibly send them an e-mail telling them to stop or ah will freeze thier account. Plus, sometimes you just want to know who you are flying against.

Most warping in the game is unintentional plus having attached names is only going to make runners run even more. Second, HT isn't going to freeze anyones account. Since most are attached to credit cards the credit card holder will be able to get their current months $15 back also would only piss people off possibly even to a point of totally leaving the game. If that ever happened to me I wouldn't think twice about moving on. Let's face it.... We all know there is more important things we can be doing rather than sitting for hours in front of a PC. This game has a way of sucking up alot of our lives.

Offline ian5440

• Nickel Member
      • http://rollingthunder.spruz.com/main.asp
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2008, 10:58:31 PM »
I don't know if anyone already posted this, but you can disable icons by pressing alt/i a few times. :salute

but he wouldn't do that only to himself, he wants icons gone for all(will make more realistic)
~~~~~~Hellkitty Dweeb~~~~~~
~~~~~~Wildcat Dweeb~~~~~~~

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2008, 01:27:00 AM »
but he wouldn't do that only to himself, he wants icons gone for all(will make more realistic)

:aok
I AGREE NO ENEMY ICONS, JUST FRIENDLY ICONS
you would have a whole new game out there
 and it would also make killing GV's alot harder as it should be.
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2008, 03:56:13 AM »
With a simple <alt> I you too can have friendly only icons :aok
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2008, 09:54:19 AM »
not to bad of an idea, i think instead of waiting to land to get your "name in lights"
every time any one gets a kill it should be a scrolling text, at that moment.

Thats a whole different thread.

Its titled BRING BACK MACROS!!   :rock

Offline LarryT

• Zinc Member
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2008, 06:10:27 PM »
With a simple <alt> I you too can have friendly only icons :aok

I agree with this, you would instantly know where you friends are without the game having identified an enemy for you. If you see a dot, and you check to see if its friendly, then you know if its friend or foe, meanwhile an unseen enemys position is still secret. My only issue with this is plane type. You still would be unable to decypher what plane the enemy is flying in the pixilated world we play in...