Author Topic: Up gunned t34, or a 75mm sherman...  (Read 356 times)

Offline stephen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Up gunned t34, or a 75mm sherman...
« on: July 05, 2008, 07:56:38 PM »
I believe where as the T-34 version we have is a model of the most abundantly produced version of it's kind, the Sherman Firefly is an example of a specialty version that has undergone the test of combat and was improved in lite of that experience.
The Firefly is unlike the most abundantly mass-produced variant of the M4 Tank it is meant to represent, (The original M4 Sherman was a tank fit for mass production and rather close in it's original design requirments to the T-34 it outclasses so badly within this Sim.)

If my memory serves me correct from the years 1944 to 1945, an up gunned version of the T-34 was introduced, as well as a tank destroyer version,... one having  a more effective gun with more armour, and a version that had been givin a larger gun with the addition of a more gradual transmission and power upgrade (a 5th gear, and/or the ability to accelerate more rapidly, and climb steeper hills at a higher speed).

For parity id like the up gunned version of the T-34, (or the "Stalin" Tank) added to the line up.
If the above seem's unreasonable id like the orginal short barreld 75mm version of the Sherman introduced, as it would have been a more appropriate version to introduce as its obviouse that the T-34 is so undergunned in AcesHigh.

The T-34 lacks punch,  instead of mere inferiority howevere,I believe it is the period of introduction within this simulator that is lacking to fullfill the liniege of an otherwise outstanding machine.

P.S.,Tanks are an effective way of killing towns, other GV's, and of defending teritory,but its obviouse that the T-34 is Out-classed in every way but speed by the very tanks available here, though it showed parity if not superiority to the tanks we drive within the time of its introduction,( primarily by my account the panzer mark IV,M4 Sherman, and Churchhill Tanks, though the later has yet to have been added.)

I realise if we vote on G.V's the T34 will probnbly stay as-is, but I hope not.
 :aok A8Popysd

Spell checker is for Morrons

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
Re: Up gunned t34, or a 75mm sherman...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 11:47:58 PM »

id like the up gunned version of the T-34, (or the "Stalin" Tank) added to the line up.
If the above seem's unreasonable id like the orginal short barreld 75mm version of the Sherman

:aok :aok
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 07:59:29 AM »

id like the up gunned version of the T-34, (or the "Stalin" Tank) added to the line up.
If the above seem's unreasonable id like the orginal short barreld 75mm version of the Sherman

:aok :aok

The T-34 would probably have to be added around the same time the Panther gets added. So it's kinda even.

And the under-gunned sherman would be nice. But I'd like a mid-version kind. So there's a little bit more armour. Preferably M4A3.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 10:52:20 AM »
The T-34 lacks punch,  instead of mere inferiority howevere,I believe it is the period of introduction within this simulator that is lacking to fullfill the liniege of an otherwise outstanding machine.
The T-34/76 was introduced in 1941, when its main opposition was PzkwIIIs and Pz38's.  It absolutely outclassed them.  IIRC the version we have is a 1942 version, but I am going from memory.  By comparison, the PzkwIV(H) we have is an up-gunned version (late '43 I believe), which was introduced after the Germans realized they needed better guns on tanks to compete with Russian armor.  In essence, the T-34/76 is the closest thing we have to an "early war" tank, whereas the others are Mid to late war.  The introduction of a later war T-34/85 would fit right in, but I would also like to see earlier versions of the PzkwIV and (as suggested) the original Sherman with the 75.  These should be the easiest for HTC to produce because they would use existing models to start from.

I also think the 105 armed Sherman would be an interesting addition.  It would be the most effective town killing / hanger pounding tank, and with a limited number of HEAT rounds, would be able to effectively defend itself against tanks, too.

We have different versions of 109s, Spitfires, 190s, P-38s, P-47s, etc. spanning the same airframe early-to-late war; a similar span for tanks would be a nice thing to have.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline DPQ5

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 03:26:28 PM »
i belive we have the t34/41 76, would be nice to have the t34/44 85
29th Infantry Division
Darkest Hour Realism Unit
King Company
Sgt. Phillips

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 06:37:06 PM »
Would be nice to have the standard M4 SHERMAN with the med velocity 75mm Gun.

The Firefly's chassis we have now would work, just need a different turret - about the same that was done with the Wirblewind.

:salute
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 11:33:42 PM »
Would be nice to have the standard M4 SHERMAN with the med velocity 75mm Gun.

Would be really great for hangar and spawn camping I bet.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes