Author Topic: Fore!  (Read 3091 times)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Re: Fore!
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2008, 09:31:11 PM »
Someone pulled out my ball from the hole for me not too long ago and kinda snickered with he saw I was playing with a noodle.

True story.

Sounds weird though...lol
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Online rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2008, 09:49:42 PM »
Someone pulled out my ball from the hole for me not too long ago and kinda snickered with he saw I was playing with a noodle.

True story.

Well... thats what you get for playing with your noodle!

Offline ClevMan

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2008, 10:24:13 PM »
Currently, I am playing to about a 6, but I plan on getting that down by summer's end...

My setup:

Driver: Nicklaus Dual Point 460, Proforce V2 65g Stiff Flex
Fairway Wood: Tour Edge Exotics 16.5 degree, Grafalloy Blue NT 65g Stiff Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J33 Combo Irons, 3-PW, Project X 5.5 Shafts, +.25" and 3 degrees upright
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Gunmetal 50, 56, 60 (oldies but goodies)
Putter: Acushnet Bullseye (25 years old, but still drops em)

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2008, 08:59:58 AM »
Noodles are ok I suppose. Couple of guys I used to play with used them. They liked them pretty well , however down here in Texas they don't stop so well. Up there where it rains alot I would imagine that the greens are always fairly receptive. They aren't made to give all that much spin anyway. If your looking for a pretty good low cost ball the Precept Laddie is not bad. My dad (9 hcp) plays with them and really likes them. The new TopFlite D2 isn't bad so Im told and they are like 19.00 a dozen. Bridgestone balls are pretty good and some of them are fairly inexpensive.

What are you trying to get out of a Golf Ball is more the question.?

I was playing the Precept Laddie for a while, they are not bad.  They were on sale for a ridiculous price up here, something like $29 for 4 dozen new balls.  The D2 feel is not bad, I prefer it to the Top Flite Gamer and the D2 is only $19.00 for 15 balls.  I don't have the money to play Pro V's or the other top balls all the time.  I have found that the Bridgestone E5 is a great ball in the mid price range. 
ODBAL

39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Armed & Lubricated)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 09:08:35 AM »

True story.

It has "Long and soft" text on the side of the ball, I'm sure he was snickering at that! :D

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2008, 09:09:47 AM »
What are you trying to get out of a Golf Ball is more the question.?
I have no clue. I'm no where good enough to even understand what I need to get out of a golf ball. I have more serious problems (like my driving) but thought that maybe there was some sort of advantage to different golf balls?

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
My handicap is my driver....any iron with a number on it... and usually my putter.

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2008, 09:35:51 AM »

My golf bag is a time capsule...

Callaway Great Big Bertha 8º
Titleist 975F 14º Fairway wood.
Callaway Heaven Wood (7 wood)
Titleist 962 3-P
Titleist Vokey 52º Gap Wedge
Titleist Vokey 56º Sand Wedge
Cleveland 60º wedge
Odyssey White Hot #1 putter

All this stuff is put into one of the earliest Ping Hoofer bags.  It was top of the line in 2000.  :huh

Golfer, I admire someone who sticks with his equipment!  Check this out, my buddy from work who golfs with me changes clubs every 2 weeks almost.  It is a joke.  I'm no scratch golfer, and this guy is worse than me (probably an 18-20 handi).  Which is fine, as long as you enjoy the game.  But he think's its all in the clubs. As I spend 3-5 nights at the driving range he spends the same amount of time at Golf Galaxy.  A total victim of Golf marketing.  So, starting last year in June, here is an honest progression of his clubs.  First, he changed drivers every couple of weeks.
Calloway FT-5 to Titleist (not sure of model). Re-shafted Titleist. Titleist to Ping Rapture. Re-shafted Rapture. Rapture to TM Superquad. Superquad to Cleveland Hibore XLS.  Re-shaft Hibore twice. Hibore to Ping G10..... Keeping in mind, during this time he would trade in various hybrid clubs, along with his "old" driver on the new drivers.  Then he decided his irons were his problem. He had been playing with Calloway X-20 Tours for a year, then in the course of 2 months he went X-20 Tour to Ping G5 (hit G5's on the range once) G5's to Mizuno MP30. MP30 to MP57's. MP57's to Cobra FP's.  During those 2 months he also went from his G10 driver to Calloway FT-I, then FT-I back to Ping Rapture.

As far as I know, he still has the Cobra FP's and Rapture.  I haven't played with him for about a month, I think he got mad at me when I told him he was stupid.  That his swing was his problem not his clubs and that if they did ever make a club that hit it pure and straight every time he couldn't afford it anyway.
ODBAL

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2008, 09:40:47 AM »
I have no clue. I'm no where good enough to even understand what I need to get out of a golf ball. I have more serious problems (like my driving) but thought that maybe there was some sort of advantage to different golf balls?

Ripsnort, if you are like me and lose a few every round give the Top Flite D2 Feel a shot. You don't feel so bad when you lose one and it seems to do well, although not great, in all categories. In my opinion the best Top Flite ball made.  If your store has the Precept Laddies on sale for cheap those are not bad either.  I played the Bridgestone B330 for a while, fantastic ball but to expensive at the rate I lose them.
ODBAL

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2008, 09:57:47 AM »
My handicap is my driver....any iron with a number on it... and usually my putter.
So that means you're very good with the ball retriever?  :huh :p

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2008, 09:58:31 AM »
Ripsnort, if you are like me and lose a few every round give the Top Flite D2 Feel a shot. You don't feel so bad when you lose one and it seems to do well, although not great, in all categories. In my opinion the best Top Flite ball made.  If your store has the Precept Laddies on sale for cheap those are not bad either.  I played the Bridgestone B330 for a while, fantastic ball but to expensive at the rate I lose them.

Thanks for the advice on the balls.  Once I get through these 24 Max Fli's I got for my birthday last month, I'll give them a shot. (shouldn't be long! ;) )

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2008, 10:25:53 AM »
So that means you're very good with the ball retriever?  :huh :p

Like you said... practice is the key.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2008, 11:52:06 AM »
Like you said... practice is the key.
:lol

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2008, 04:54:10 PM »
Golfer, I admire someone who sticks with his equipment!  Check this out, my buddy from work who golfs with me changes clubs every 2 weeks almost.  It is a joke.  I'm no scratch golfer, and this guy is worse than me (probably an 18-20 handi).  Which is fine, as long as you enjoy the game.  But he think's its all in the clubs. As I spend 3-5 nights at the driving range he spends the same amount of time at Golf Galaxy.  A total victim of Golf marketing.  So, starting last year in June, here is an honest progression of his clubs.  First, he changed drivers every couple of weeks.
Calloway FT-5 to Titleist (not sure of model). Re-shafted Titleist. Titleist to Ping Rapture. Re-shafted Rapture. Rapture to TM Superquad. Superquad to Cleveland Hibore XLS.  Re-shaft Hibore twice. Hibore to Ping G10..... Keeping in mind, during this time he would trade in various hybrid clubs, along with his "old" driver on the new drivers.  Then he decided his irons were his problem. He had been playing with Calloway X-20 Tours for a year, then in the course of 2 months he went X-20 Tour to Ping G5 (hit G5's on the range once) G5's to Mizuno MP30. MP30 to MP57's. MP57's to Cobra FP's.  During those 2 months he also went from his G10 driver to Calloway FT-I, then FT-I back to Ping Rapture.

As far as I know, he still has the Cobra FP's and Rapture.  I haven't played with him for about a month, I think he got mad at me when I told him he was stupid.  That his swing was his problem not his clubs and that if they did ever make a club that hit it pure and straight every time he couldn't afford it anyway.

:lol I have a bud the same way. I met him in Sept. of last year in a tourney. We have since became golfing buds and play quite often. He has had 4 sets of irons since I have known him and working on his 4th driver. 3rd or 4th 3 wood...3rd or 4th putter. He practices some...but generally just hits some balls before we play and loses his temper by the 3rd hole if he isn't hitting it all that well.

He and I had a bit of an argument the other day....more on my part as what he said got me a bit miffed....and I fired back at him. AT any rate the bottom line was I told him to as much as he could afford to lose out of his savings and I'd see him the next day.

I bought a set of irons from Callaway preowned the first part of this year. I went to a guy that was head of R&D for Callaway for 5 years to get fitted for some shafts. After a couple of hours and lots of balls and testing it came down to the project X or the DG s300's. The PX shafts I hit just a tad further and the ball flight was just a bit more to my liking. So , I decided to have the irons reshafted. It was going to be 450 for the reshafts. They had a set of used irons , the sameas what I had , with the shafts already in them. They were cheaper to but than to have mine redone. So , I bought them. I have 2 sets of irons , both the same heads but differant shafts. Same loft and lie on each iron.

My driver I just got this year as well. But I had my other one , A Taylor R7 425 MWT for about 4 years. Only had it reshafted 1 time during that time and basically thats what led me to buy a new one.  The new shaft they screwed up and made it to tip stiff. ANyway , I bought a Ping G10 and kill it.

I have another bud that makes more money than he knows what to do with that just flat likes to buy stuff. So he is buying stuff all the time and most all the time it ends up in a barrel in his garage.  :lol 

An ole pro told me once.....ANd I to this day tell most everyone that asks me for advice about club buyinig and stuff....this...

All the amatures are looking for the secret , and the pros are looking for a place to practice.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2008, 07:01:25 PM »
:lol I have a bud the same way. I met him in Sept. of last year in a tourney. We have since became golfing buds and play quite often. He has had 4 sets of irons since I have known him and working on his 4th driver. 3rd or 4th 3 wood...3rd or 4th putter. He practices some...but generally just hits some balls before we play and loses his temper by the 3rd hole if he isn't hitting it all that well.

He and I had a bit of an argument the other day....more on my part as what he said got me a bit miffed....and I fired back at him. AT any rate the bottom line was I told him to as much as he could afford to lose out of his savings and I'd see him the next day.

I bought a set of irons from Callaway preowned the first part of this year. I went to a guy that was head of R&D for Callaway for 5 years to get fitted for some shafts. After a couple of hours and lots of balls and testing it came down to the project X or the DG s300's. The PX shafts I hit just a tad further and the ball flight was just a bit more to my liking. So , I decided to have the irons reshafted. It was going to be 450 for the reshafts. They had a set of used irons , the sameas what I had , with the shafts already in them. They were cheaper to but than to have mine redone. So , I bought them. I have 2 sets of irons , both the same heads but differant shafts. Same loft and lie on each iron.

My driver I just got this year as well. But I had my other one , A Taylor R7 425 MWT for about 4 years. Only had it reshafted 1 time during that time and basically thats what led me to buy a new one.  The new shaft they screwed up and made it to tip stiff. ANyway , I bought a Ping G10 and kill it.

I have another bud that makes more money than he knows what to do with that just flat likes to buy stuff. So he is buying stuff all the time and most all the time it ends up in a barrel in his garage.  :lol 

An ole pro told me once.....ANd I to this day tell most everyone that asks me for advice about club buyinig and stuff....this...

All the amatures are looking for the secret , and the pros are looking for a place to practice.

All this talk of re-shafting (I thought re-shafting was a sex change operation, but I stand corrected) I have a question:

Do you think that a pro could play close to the same game with a set of noob clubs (like mine, Orlimars)? 

IOW, does the tool make the difference, or is it the talent of the one using the tool?