Author Topic: Balancing The Styles  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cthunder16
Re: Balancing The Styles
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 11:23:12 AM »
Shifty it's not about rather you are doing your duty or not. You shouldn't have to purposely run one of your missions off the books. That's what we're trying to find solutions for. The point of the thread is trying to help YOU!

The current set up does not yet foster the types of fights you're looking for. If two sides want to get up and fight they can go to any other arena and get it done easier than they can in the AvA. I'm not attacking you, I'm looking for more ways to make it easier for you to have the types of fights you want to have. while still giving the war fighter types and strat guys the piece of mind that your contributing to the war effort every time you go up.

I'm trying to bring the two sides closer together.

Before the current set up you guys had a furballers only type of environment. You could up anywhere you wanted and have your fights. That didn't work though. Apparently not everyone is into that and the numbers were low because of it. The current set up though has gone to far in the other direction. Now its all about the strats and there's no place in it for the dog fighters. Have to keep chipping away at it till we find more of a balance.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 11:29:41 AM by Damionte »
Drackson

Allied Commander: AvA / Campaign Series: North Africa / Italy

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 11:30:28 AM »
The arena was dead before the change in direction.

The current AVA is too limiting in playing style and scope.  Hitech and Pyro have learned what works over the years.  We would be wise to copy the MA setup but with Axis/Allied plane sets and smaller maps until the population increases.

Maybe so, most everyone agrees it needs to be better but its a start. I do not agree that a 5th MA is the way to go however. Whens the last time you heard some one complain about getting locked out of the EW because of arena caps?

Stop messing with extreme weather, pilots in wwII would be grounded in the stuff we have seen lately.  It isn't fun once you get past the novelty of it. Put in some haze or clouds once in a while, but not to the point that it is currently.  

Noted

Smaller maps.  How many nights have we seen 1 team up north and another team down south porking strats?  

Keep in mind we only have so many maps to choose from and most are not designed with the AvA in mind.

The CM's should work as a team and be open in dealing with the community.

To say we are not open to the community is  ridiculous.

There is a good group of players that want to play in an Axis vs. Allies environment but the AVA has been pushing most of them away by following the singular vision of 1 CM for over a month.  BOA is really a game for 3 guys.  1 referee (Fork) and the 2 leaders of the sides that sweat out the cash and plane placements.

Wrong again.

Then it is a 2 week contest of who can kill the most strats.  Dogfighters quickly get bored.  Base capture guys are left out.  GV'rs get to watch the grass grow.

Dogfigters do quikly get bored with how things are playing out in the arena. Thats a two way street however, the Staff can take as much input as possible and try to provide the enviorment for good fights. It does not mean its going to happen.

Shifty sumed up what I feel these "wars" should be not too long ago. They should be a backdrop for the fighting, not the focus of the arena.

Well said slash!!  :)

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 11:37:40 AM »
Ok before we get any more off the focus of the thread let me restate the point and the idea behind it.

Can we make air to air kills count, for the purpose of economy/victory conditions ex cetera ?

Is that possible? If that's not possible then the war won't work. EVER !

It doesn't matter what else we try to balance in. As long as there is no consequence/reward for being shot down the entire war scenario won't get off the ground. Without the war scenario you lose half your player base. Just as many pilots feel the opposite of Slash and shifty. Endless pointless dog fighting is just as boring to us, as it is fun for you guys. Many of us need a better reason to shoot the other guy down than "He's in the air."
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 11:44:50 AM by Damionte »
Drackson

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 11:42:14 AM »
The issue with that will be if the kills are legit or not. Some one vulches a buddy 30 times a night and we have nice new can of worms.

Keep in mind that just because some of you guys ideas cannot be done for whatever reason, it doesnt mean it was a bad idea.

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 11:42:46 AM »
Ok before we get any more off the focus of the thread let me restate the point and the idea behind it.

Can we make air to air kills count, for the purpose of economy/victory conditions ex cetera ?

Is that possible?

I like this idea, or at least make deaths count, would limit the bomb and bail mentality.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 11:45:55 AM »

Is that possible? If that's not possible then the war won't work. EVER !

It doesn't matter what else we try to balance in. As long as there is no consequence/reward for being shot down the entire war scenario won't get off the ground.

One possible solution would be allow only so many of each type aircraft for the war. At the end of a frame the losses are bumped against the Strat %. From there you start limiting them by number of bases available or by perking them. If the losses ever exceed from the total number allowed according to the Strat %. They are pulled from the setup.

This is just off the top of my head and may do nothing more than open a can of worms I have not had time to consider.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 11:55:51 AM »
Yeah the vulch a friend win at any cost mentality could be a problem.

Why I suggest limiting the impact.

We could break down total points by objective. Like scoring in some school courses.

For instance say 25% of your total total points would be based on your sides... kill to death ratio for instance.

Unless you had like a dozen guys or more doing the vulch a friend thing we shouldn't see a huge impact on the numbers. I believe even then that we have tools to be able to catch those cheating in this way. Or at least the ones that are registered anyway. We generally know who is on what side. We get stats at the end of a tour on what people flew and what they killed. If you see an allied player at the end of the war who has 20 sorties in a 109k-4 you know somethign fishy is going on.

I'm not sure just how detailed a report you guys get at the end of a frame. Basing that suggestion mostly off what I hear you guys talking about.

Freaking cheaters suck. Messing it up for the rest of us. Sure I suppose unregistered players could do it, but will they really put up this much effort over a long period of time to unbalance the AvA which they obviously don't actually care about.

Does the idea have enough merit to try it out? We could deal with the impact of cheaters as we go.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 11:59:25 AM by Damionte »
Drackson

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 12:04:12 PM »

I have always thought this should count for something in the AvA, and it's absolutely necessary if we want the AvA to be a step up above the divebombing lancs of the MA.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 12:17:59 PM »
It has a lot of merit, no doubt. What else are we here for if not the fight?

Offline Trukk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 02:37:41 PM »
Trukk try not to get caught up in the terms. They're not the point. You respectfully disagreed, then described your self in the exact same way I did. I am not trying to push one agenda over the other.

As I said in the post I was simply using that engagement as an example. An example of the fact that the current set up is not doing what it was intended to do. Foster good fights on a regular basis.
I didn't mean to imply that you were pushing an agenda, just that as a "dog fighter" squad (or what I'd refer to as simulation vs war game focused), we are getting "good fights on a regular basis", and having a lots of fun.  Maybe the difference is that we are big enough that we do attract the opposition, where a singleton wouldn't.

Offline Trukk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 02:41:42 PM »
I have always thought this should count for something in the AvA, and it's absolutely necessary if we want the AvA to be a step up above the divebombing lancs of the MA.
I wish every aircraft was perked and you started off the campain with a certain amount of perk points.  That way if you don't bring your aircraft home, you'd soon be limited to the lowest aircraft available.

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 02:46:33 PM »
I wish every aircraft was perked and you started off the campain with a certain amount of perk points.  That way if you don't bring your aircraft home, you'd soon be limited to the lowest aircraft available.

That is another good idea.
Drackson

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 02:56:30 PM »

so, after one night, I'd be relegated to a Sopwith Camel? :D

This has legs from my point of view
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 03:17:22 PM »

That is a good idea

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 03:35:41 PM »
Especially since it's so easy to get perks by milking targets in attack mode... :noid
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!