Author Topic: WE ARE NOT IN A RECESSION  (Read 3571 times)

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
Re: WE ARE NOT IN A RECESSION
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2008, 01:45:25 AM »
Spot on sir.

I've been saying this exact thing for many months now.

You guys know our cruddy economy is pretty much Congress's fault. With restrictions for drilling in OUR own country, we gotta buy expensive gas elsewhere.

Nancy Pelosi said that they were gonna tap into our oil reserve and get something like 50,000 barrels a day when we use 87 million a day... Or something like that. Very very odd. That's like a Nickel out of 87$$.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
      • Strike Manufacturing Inc.
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2008, 01:55:14 AM »
United States proven oil reserves declined to a little less than 21 billion barrels (3.3×109 m3) as of 2006 according to the Energy Information Administration, a 46% decline from the 39 billion barrels (6.2×109 m3) it had in 1970 when the huge Alaska North Slope (ANS) reserves were booked. With production of around 5 million barrels per day (790×103 m3/d) as of 2006, this represents about an 11 year supply of oil reserves at current rates of production.

If the United States had to supply its entire demand of 21 million barrels per day (3.3×106 m3/d) without resorting to foreign imports, existing US reserves would last only three years at the current rate of consumption.

No oil fields of similar size to the ANS reserves have been found in the US since 1970. With over 2.3 million wells having been drilled in the US since 1949,[43] there are very few unexplored areas left where a similar size oil field is likely to be found.[citation needed] US oil reserve numbers are very accurate compared to those of most other countries.

As a result of the decline in reserves, United States crude oil production also has been declining for nearly 30 years. Production peaked in 1970 at 9.6 million barrels per day (1.53×106 m3/d), but declined 47% to 5.1 million barrels per day (810×103 m3/d) by 2006. At the same time, US imports of oil and petroleum products increased by 400% from 3.4 million barrels per day (540×103 m3/d) in 1970 to 13.6 million barrels per day (2.16×106 m3/d) in 2006. The largest suppliers of oil and products in 2006 were Canada and Mexico, which supplied 2.3 and 1.7 Mbbl/d (370×103 and 270×103 m3/d), respectively.[44]

Imports of oil and products account for nearly half of the US trade deficit. As of 2007, the Energy Information Agency (EIA) of the US Department of Energy projected that in 2007 oil consumption would rise to 20.9 million barrels per day (3.32×106 m3/d), while oil production would fall to 5.1 million barrels per day (810×103 m3/d), meaning that oil consumption would be nearly four times as high as oil production.[45]

In April 2008, the United States Geological Survey (USGS) released a report giving a new resource assessment of the Bakken Formation underlying portions of Montana and North Dakota. The USGS believes that with new horizontal drilling technology there is somewhere between 3.0 and 4.5 billion barrels (480×106 and 720×106 m3) of recoverable oil remaining to be discovered in this 200,000 square miles (520,000 km²) formation that was initially discovered in 1951. If accurate, this reassessment would make it the largest continuous oil formation ever discovered in the U.S.[46] However, it would represent only a five to seven month supply of oil for the United States at current (2007) rates of consumption.

A 1993 United States Geological Survey (USGS) study indicated at least 4.3 billion (95% probability) and possibly as much as 11.8 billion (5% probability) barrels (0.9 to 2.5 km³) of technically recoverable oil exists in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge 1002 area, with a mean value of 7.7 billion barrels (1.7 km³). In addition, in the entire assessment area, which covers not only land under Federal jurisdiction, but also Native lands and adjacent State waters within 3 miles (5 km), technically recoverable oil is estimated to be at least 5.7 billion (95%) and as much as 16.0 billion (5%) barrels (0.7 to 1.9 km³), with a mean value of 10.4 billion barrels (1.2 km³). Economically recoverable oil within the Federal lands assuming a market price of $40/barrel (constant 1996 dollars - the highest price included in the USGS study) is estimated to be between 3.4 billion (95%) and 10.4 billion (5%) barrels (0.5 to 1.7 km³), with a mean value of 6.8 billion barrels (1.1 km³). A May 2008 assessment by the EIA estimated cumulative production of the 1002 area to be a maximum of 4.3 billion barrels from 2018 to 2030. This estimate is a best case scenario of technically recoverable oil during the area's primary production years if legislation were passed in 2008 to allow drilling.[47]

Every body has to realize that the end of crude is near.
"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition"
You can be one but NOT both...

Fully Fledged Practising Atheist Bishop

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2008, 01:58:09 AM »
United States proven oil reserves declined to a little less than 21 billion barrels (3.3×109 m3) as of 2006 according to the Energy Information Administration, a 46% decline from the 39 billion barrels (6.2×109 m3) it had in 1970 when the huge Alaska North Slope (ANS) reserves were booked. With production of around 5 million barrels per day (790×103 m3/d) as of 2006, this represents about an 11 year supply of oil reserves at current rates of production.

If the United States had to supply its entire demand of 21 million barrels per day (3.3×106 m3/d) without resorting to foreign imports, existing US reserves would last only three years at the current rate of consumption.

No oil fields of similar size to the ANS reserves have been found in the US since 1970. With over 2.3 million wells having been drilled in the US since 1949,[43] there are very few unexplored areas left where a similar size oil field is likely to be found.[citation needed] US oil reserve numbers are very accurate compared to those of most other countries.

As a result of the decline in reserves, United States crude oil production also has been declining for nearly 30 years. Production peaked in 1970 at 9.6 million barrels per day (1.53×106 m3/d), but declined 47% to 5.1 million barrels per day (810×103 m3/d) by 2006. At the same time, US imports of oil and petroleum products increased by 400% from 3.4 million barrels per day (540×103 m3/d) in 1970 to 13.6 million barrels per day (2.16×106 m3/d) in 2006. The largest suppliers of oil and products in 2006 were Canada and Mexico, which supplied 2.3 and 1.7 Mbbl/d (370×103 and 270×103 m3/d), respectively.[44]

Imports of oil and products account for nearly half of the US trade deficit. As of 2007, the Energy Information Agency (EIA) of the US Department of Energy projected that in 2007 oil consumption would rise to 20.9 million barrels per day (3.32×106 m3/d), while oil production would fall to 5.1 million barrels per day (810×103 m3/d), meaning that oil consumption would be nearly four times as high as oil production.[45]

In April 2008, the United States Geological Survey (USGS) released a report giving a new resource assessment of the Bakken Formation underlying portions of Montana and North Dakota. The USGS believes that with new horizontal drilling technology there is somewhere between 3.0 and 4.5 billion barrels (480×106 and 720×106 m3) of recoverable oil remaining to be discovered in this 200,000 square miles (520,000 km²) formation that was initially discovered in 1951. If accurate, this reassessment would make it the largest continuous oil formation ever discovered in the U.S.[46] However, it would represent only a five to seven month supply of oil for the United States at current (2007) rates of consumption.

A 1993 United States Geological Survey (USGS) study indicated at least 4.3 billion (95% probability) and possibly as much as 11.8 billion (5% probability) barrels (0.9 to 2.5 km³) of technically recoverable oil exists in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge 1002 area, with a mean value of 7.7 billion barrels (1.7 km³). In addition, in the entire assessment area, which covers not only land under Federal jurisdiction, but also Native lands and adjacent State waters within 3 miles (5 km), technically recoverable oil is estimated to be at least 5.7 billion (95%) and as much as 16.0 billion (5%) barrels (0.7 to 1.9 km³), with a mean value of 10.4 billion barrels (1.2 km³). Economically recoverable oil within the Federal lands assuming a market price of $40/barrel (constant 1996 dollars - the highest price included in the USGS study) is estimated to be between 3.4 billion (95%) and 10.4 billion (5%) barrels (0.5 to 1.7 km³), with a mean value of 6.8 billion barrels (1.1 km³). A May 2008 assessment by the EIA estimated cumulative production of the 1002 area to be a maximum of 4.3 billion barrels from 2018 to 2030. This estimate is a best case scenario of technically recoverable oil during the area's primary production years if legislation were passed in 2008 to allow drilling.[47]

Every body has to realize that the end of crude is near.

You know that there's something like 2 Trillion barrels of oil in that Shale Stuff in the Dakotas.

We can make electric powered cars and stuff, we just gotta have a little bit more time, we wont get it next year, but maybe between 2010 and 2015.

I know Honda is coming out with an Electric powered car that can go 400 miles with out a re-charge that will be affordable for middle-class families.  :aok
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2008, 02:05:07 AM »

You know that there's something like 2 Trillion barrels of oil in that Shale Stuff in the Dakotas.

We can make electric powered cars and stuff, we just gotta have a little bit more time, we wont get it next year, but maybe between 2010 and 2015.

I know Honda is coming out with an Electric powered car that can go 400 miles with out a re-charge that will be affordable for middle-class families.  :aok

The United States has the largest known deposits of oil shale in the world, according to the Bureau of Land Management and holds an estimated 2,500 gigabarrels of potentially recoverable oil, enough to meet U.S. demand for oil at current rates for 110 years. However, oil shale does not actually contain oil, but a waxy oil precursor known as kerogen. For this reason and because there is not yet any significant commercial production of oil from oil shale in the United States as of 2008, its oil shale reserves do not meet the petroleum industry definition of proven oil reserves.

Hopefully we can find some sort of substitute for fuel in the near future yes :aok But here and now more corn is going to be turned into fuel thereby raising food prices also.

Just looking at the reserves for each country we have less than 120 years left of oil at the current rate of production :O

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2008, 02:10:25 AM »
Well, this may sound kinda, probably really cheesy but here it is from my point of view...

It takes millions of years to make oil (lets say 1 million years...) well, 1 million years ago this second, something died and probably helped make another small amount of oil.  It seems kinda stupid, but since that's what they tell us, there's got to be more oil in the making in the older dried up oil wells (hopefully, and if not, other places).

Okay, now that we're done with my dim view on how oil is made, Alaska has tons and tons of oil that we cant access either. China and Cuba are horizontally drilling 50 miles off the coast of Flordia when we cant touch it. 90% of this oil problem is Congress's fault. They got approval ratings in the single digits (last I checked 8 or 9%  :O)

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2008, 02:13:49 AM »
Well, this may sound kinda, probably really cheesy but here it is from my point of view...

It takes millions of years to make oil (lets say 1 million years...) well, 1 million years ago this second, something died and probably helped make another small amount of oil.  It seems kinda stupid, but since that's what they tell us, there's got to be more oil in the making in the older dried up oil wells (hopefully, and if not, other places).

Okay, now that we're done with my dim view on how oil is made, Alaska has tons and tons of oil that we cant access either. China and Cuba are horizontally drilling 50 miles off the coast of Flordia when we cant touch it. 90% of this oil problem is Congress's fault. They got approval ratings in the single digits (last I checked 8 or 9%  :O)

Or is it shrewd use everyone Else's oil up first and then magically we find more :rofl

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2008, 02:17:51 AM »
Then we sell it to them an make them bow down to it... muahahaha!!  :noid :noid :noid :noid

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2008, 02:18:21 AM »
Then we sell it to them an make them bow down to it... muahahaha!!  :noid :noid :noid :noid
:aok :aok :aok :aok :aok :noid :noid

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2008, 03:07:28 AM »
The US should be ahead of the rest of the world. There's no excuse for anything else.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
we're now a fat and happy...spoiled and lazy society that feels previous generations did everything we ever need to do to asssure a constant stream of milk and honey.

that's pretty much why we're where we are now.

I knew it with certainty on 9-12-01.   I was in a room with about 30 people in shock like everyone else...and I mentioned that this moment was our generations "pearl harbor"...and that I expected a draft.  every single person who was a parent said.... "not my kid".  at that point I knew with crystal clarity we were dying from the inside out.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:42:30 AM by ZetaNine »

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2008, 11:47:47 AM »
we're now a fat and happy...spoiled and lazy society that feels previous generations did everything we ever need to do to asssure a constant stream of milk and honey.

that's pretty much why we're where we are now.

I knew it with certainty on 9-12-01.   I was in a room with about 30 people in shock like everyone else...and I mentioned that this moment was our generations "pearl harbor"...and that I expected a draft.  every single person who was a parent said.... "not my kid".  at that point I knew with crystal clarity we were dying from the inside out.

I agree.  VERY well said.

Offline Mojava

• Nickel Member
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2008, 11:57:29 AM »
  I think the thing that's hurting America the most is the, "everyone else's fault but ours" mentality. 

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2008, 12:03:11 PM »
Lazs..you were wrong on the first page

I sell real estate...There is one party that was hurt and did not deserve it. Renters who landlords lost there azzzes...

How about you pay your rent every month, but your landlord is not paying the mortgage..You then get a "3 day eveicton notice" posted on your door....Oh your deposit?..lolo good luck with that 1

Yes the rest of the folks deserved it..along with the sheisty lenders who a good bunch of them shoudl be in jail

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2008, 12:14:46 PM »
  I think the thing that's hurting America the most is the, "everyone else's fault but ours" mentality. 

I think that's more of the Left side's thing. Like how everything involving GWB makes him a Nazi... And everything Congress does makes them "great" people...  :rolleyes:

I read a magazine this morning, and there's this place off the Australian coast that might have more oil than the middle east!  :O

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2008, 01:08:44 PM »
I think that's more of the Left side's thing. Like how everything involving GWB makes him a Nazi... And everything Congress does makes them "great" people...  :rolleyes:

I read a magazine this morning, and there's this place off the Australian coast that might have more oil than the middle east!  :O

Interesting that you mentioned' that.

As technology in the petroleum industry advances, with new drilling and extraction techniques, Formations' that have been known to exist for a long time, but have been previously inaccessible, can now be used.

However, there are things' we could do in our economy to simply reduce the demand, and stretch our reserves still further. For example...This country brought Nuclear power to the rest of the planet, And I don't think there's really any argument that it did. We've been using Nuclear reactors' in both Military and Civilian applications' for over 50 years' now.

And the newest power plants' built have to burn Natural Gas?

A nuclear power plant can be built to be safe. They can be controlled. They won't use the Petroleum we need for other things. And...If there's no petroleum need from a Nuclear power grid, What do you suppose the impact on Oil prices would be? The supply that normally goes' to power production would go to other things...Plus, we would be making a large step back towards self-suffiency in our economy. Nuclear plants don't burn Middle-Eastern oil or gas, remember.

If we had made the move to using Nuclear power for our grids here in the U.S. like they thought we would in the '50's, we coulda kept the sheiks' in Saudi Arabia by the short-hairs. Instead, It's now the other way around.