Author Topic: WE ARE NOT IN A RECESSION  (Read 3570 times)

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
Re: WE ARE NOT IN A RECESSION
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2008, 02:44:08 PM »
Recession is still on hold: Bad news for Bush haters.  :cry

http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idUSN3043337220080731?feedType=RSS&feedName=businessNews&rpc=23&sp=true

Rip, There are signs' even in that link that things are in trouble. They just put a rosier tint on things. You read stuff like this:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080731/economy.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080731/bs_nm/markets_stocks_dc_49

It depends' on your POV  on this, as you can see. Even with news' of the GDP increasing, the markets' still fell.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2008, 03:22:15 PM »
so the sky is falling then?  its about damned time the sky fell.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2008, 03:25:10 PM »
<--manages a retail electronics store.  I have posted a sales gain each month this year over last years sales in Michigan (worst economy in the country).  We are not in a recession.

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2008, 03:28:41 PM »
<--manages a retail electronics store.  I have posted a sales gain each month this year over last years sales in Michigan (worst economy in the country).  We are not in a recession.

Recessions' don't stop the welfare checks, and what they spend it on, Sluggish. Isn't Michigan one of the states' with the highest number of welfare recepients?

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2008, 05:05:19 PM »

Kaw1000<<<<<Car bizz 30 years...dealerships closing all over..Gm and ford Factory's closing left and right... major job losses
by the trickle down effect! which business
generates more for the economy, electronics or Cars?

Housing market on its ear..houses are deprecating instead of appreciating...forecloses every where..home sales slumping badly.
The two largest Industries are hurting bad,....no, theres no recession. :rolleyes:

Banks going under or close to it...stock prices falling...Value of dollar falling....but all is well in the U.S.A!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 05:07:41 PM by Kaw1000 »
See Rule# 5 on just about every thread!

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2008, 05:10:36 PM »
define "recession".

go back to the first page
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2008, 05:15:47 PM »
Just saying.  In the worst economy in the country, with gas prices well over $4. a gallon, with the car industry in shambles, with banks failing left and right, with foreclosures at an all-time high, my business and those around me are doing better than we did last year.  There is no recession.

I think what the rest of the country is doing is catching up-or falling-to our level.  It's just the fact that we've been down here for so long we're used to it, kinda like when you first jump in the pool the water's cold as heck, but once you've been in for a while it feels fine.  Trust me, this IS a survivable economy.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2008, 05:45:50 PM »
Kaw1000<<<<<Car bizz 30 years...dealerships closing all over..Gm and ford Factory's closing left and right... major job losses
by the trickle down effect! which business
generates more for the economy, electronics or Cars?

Housing market on its ear..houses are deprecating instead of appreciating...forecloses every where..home sales slumping badly.
The two largest Industries are hurting bad,....no, theres no recession. :rolleyes:

Banks going under or close to it...stock prices falling...Value of dollar falling....but all is well in the U.S.A!!

Toyota, Honda, etc can't build hybrids fast enough, the US is second in world steel production, the housing market is correcting for a over priced market. And foreclosures are not everywhere.

and the GNP is up 1.9% last quarter
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 05:53:31 PM by john9001 »

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2008, 06:01:37 PM »
The sky is not falling. The news media and others want you to think that because it's an election year. It favors the party out of office. As far as Ford closing plants, there are others being built. Honda is building a plant here in Indiana.

Additionally, 99% of employers are small companies with less than 500 employees. These are the ones that don't ask for subsidies, or tax rebates. They just go out an do it.

In regards to the housing market, the correction was way over due. This idiots went out and got the worst loans and purchased homes they really could not afford. Now the government wants to bail them out while people like me who live in a modest home have to ante up. That is sad.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2008, 08:08:38 PM »
We may not "technically" be in a recession.
But between gas prices and a weak economy.
People sure are acting as if we were.
I know my business has been feeling it BAD.
Took an outright nosedive.
I haven't even been called on to do an estimate for over a month.
Even during an actual recession..in the winter time I I've never had that happen before
Getting very few new customers
And if it weren't for repeat customers since January.
I'd be out of business.
Its why I haven't been able to finish building my new computer.

The hardware store where I buy my paint was saying the same thing the other day.
His sales are way off too.
And considering the majority of his customers are homeowners and not construction contractors.
And his store sits literally right next to no less then 6 Condo and housing developments. Each which probably have a 90%+ occupancy and very very few for sale
Its kinda hard to blame that on lack of new construction. Or forclosures.

So while we may not technically BE in a recession.
 It sure as watermelon feels that way.
Hell I may even have to lay off my own son next week

Now I dont blame Bush at all.

But. the economy isnt fine and dandy. Unless of course you own stock in oil.
And that is its public perception. And people are beleiving we are in a recession.
And the public perception is that its Bush's fault no matter if it is or isnt.

Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2008, 08:16:28 PM »
True Honda is building a plant. But Ford and GM are closing several plants.

Seems people do not have the spending power they once had.

Looks to me like the higher paying jobs are going away, and the low paying jobs are in abundance.

See Rule# 5 on just about every thread!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2008, 09:21:40 PM »
True Honda is building a plant. But Ford and GM are closing several plants.

Seems people do not have the spending power they once had.

Looks to me like the higher paying jobs are going away, and the low paying jobs are in abundance.

Sounds like the ebb and tide of the American Economy. Imagine that.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2008, 01:02:52 AM »
the government spending money like a HO on crack coupled with WE THE PEOPLE trying to RIP OFF the market for everything its worth is whats going to kill this economy.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2008, 01:09:27 AM »
And here I thought it was an oppressive tax system! Man I need to get out more!  :furious :noid
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2008, 11:21:03 AM »
what really pisses me off is sensationalism.  The media loves sensational words because it attracts the attention of the sheeple that love to repeat them.  I just heard zetanine in another thread say "we are in a recession". 

:cough: