Author Topic: The Executive Ban? It's Gone! <sniker>  (Read 4997 times)

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Re: The Executive Ban? It's Gone! <sniker>
« Reply #150 on: July 17, 2008, 06:26:07 AM »
No kidding. It's a myth. A Chinese company reportedly has a contract for exploratory drilling on land, but nothing has been drilled. A Norwegian company drilled a test well in 2005 (on shore) and this story was mixed with the Chinese story by a dumb Congressman because Cuba is 90 miles off the shore of Florida. Vice President Cheney repeated the myth on a Sunday news show with a new distance and the myth was reborn.

How about some photos of those Chinese oil rigs? ;)

It worked though. The end result was opening up drilling to provide a few years worth of oil. This oil price increase is just another warning from the marketplace to do something different. The legislation is just another aspirin to mask the pain from the tumor. Spot price is not much different than future prices. It's moot.
I've heard that too, and I'm pretty sure you're correct....but the bigger thing is they have the permission to drill, in pretty much the same area we do not . I'd have to assume rigs will spout up sooner or later, and drill or not, yes we DO need a more long-term plan than to find more oil....but there's no reason we can't do both?
“If they [Saudi Arabia] produced half a million barrels more oil a day the price would come down a very significant amount and, at the same time, it would stop the speculation that keeps driving up the price of oil,” Sen. Charles Schumer (D., N.Y.) said on the Senate floor Wednesday.
In the short term, if a half million barrels a day (on our part) could fix the recent pain, why not do it? Has it escaped EVERYONE'S attention that Bush ended the ban on Monday, and oil dropped $10 a barrel over the next 2 days? (This assumes the Left in House/Senate isn't secretly happy with high prices, as it furthers green agenda)

REALLY isn't as hard as it's made out to be to put a rig online:

Last December, at the behest (and expense) of the American Petroleum Institute and Shell oil, I flew down to the Gulf Coast to visit an offshore oil platform. They helicoptered me 165 miles out into the gulf and I stepped onto Brutus, a tension-linked platform anchored to the seafloor 3,000 feet below. It would be an understatement to say I was in awe. Until you’re actually standing on one you can’t begin to appreciate the sheer size and complexity of such a thing.

The platform is the size of a few football fields jammed together, and the top of the derrick was easily a few hundred feet off the water. Dozens of people lived on board, and everything — from the computer systems to the actual drilling rig — was state of the art. Brutus produced over 100,000 barrels of oil a day — down from over 300,000 at its peak capacity.

That sounds impressive. But here’s what truly floored me: Shell decided Brutus’s location in the gulf would be profitable for drilling in April 1999. The company then built the massive oil platform, transported it to the right location in the gulf, anchored the floating leviathan onto the seafloor 3,000 feet below, drilled 17,000 feet below that, and began producing oil in July 2001. It took only two years to get Brutus online.

Of course, it helps that the oil companies have plenty of money to throw at the problem. Constructing oil platforms can cost in the billions of dollars. A few new oil platforms equivalent to Brutus off-shore in the U.S. could easily account for the half a million barrels Senator Schumer claims are driving prices up.
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=N2M3YWQ5MTE3Yzc0ZmY3OGM1YmU0OTVhZWUwZjQ0ZTk=
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #151 on: July 17, 2008, 09:04:40 AM »
and oil dropped $10 a barrel over the next 2 days?

I'm pretty sure this drop had nothing to do with Bush undoing his fathers ban.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #152 on: July 17, 2008, 09:41:18 AM »
Bush's comments had little if any effect. Nothing he said or did will put more oil into the global supply.

OPEC said global demand for OPEC oil in 2009 would be less than the demand for 2008. Lower demand, lower price. Another reason was the fed hanging a temporary window dressing for the US economic condition.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:43:11 AM by Rolex »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #153 on: July 17, 2008, 09:52:11 AM »
Rolex, what are your current thoughts on where to invest?

The US markets don't look that promising over the next year or two to me.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #154 on: July 17, 2008, 10:01:13 AM »
Has it escaped EVERYONE'S attention that Bush ended the ban on Monday, and oil dropped $10 a barrel over the next 2 days?

Why is it some of you guys will say that Bush's speech made oil drop $10 but if any of us say oil price rose because we invaded Iraq and the saber rattling with Iran.. Then we are just whiny liberals.

"Higher U.S. oil supplies, along with evidence of quickening inflation and slowing economic activity in the world’s largest economy, have helped pull prices down from last Friday’s record above $147 a barrel, said Victor Shum, an oil analyst with consulting firm Purvin & Gertz in Singapore."

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 10:03:20 AM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #155 on: July 17, 2008, 11:37:01 AM »
ah yes, a "oil analyst " with a "consulting firm ", he must know everything.

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
« Reply #156 on: July 17, 2008, 12:12:42 PM »
This thread made a statue of Ronald Reagan cry.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2008, 03:31:38 PM »
I think that rolex is correct and that the government should get out of the way and let the private sector get to work.

We are going to need oil for a long time yet.   crock-it is missing the big picture in that 15% less dependency on foreign oil will be good no matter what else we do or what comes down the pike.

build the nuclear plants to free up natural gas..  run more cars on natural gas..

let the development of solar and wind and whatever go forward

AND   drill for oil where we can right now so that 5 years or so from now we are not in an even worse spot.  Who knows...   every country out there is now exploring for oil offshore.. we need to be too.. maybe a field of oil bigger than any found so far will be the result..  instant 100% end of problem..  maybe not..  maybe only 15% reduction will occur..  probly more.. it is simply not smart to throw it away.

If china finds a huge field.. they will not put demand on the world market..  the price will stabalize.. if we figure out a cheaper way to use oil shale the price will stabalize.   

If we do nothing.. or.. if we put all our eggs in the wind or solar basket we are being foolish.

What the situation was 20 years ago is not what it is today..  we need to quit worrying about who stopped all the exploration 20 years ago and stopped the nuke plants 20 years ago..

We need to worry about who is dragging their feet TODAY.

lazs

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2008, 03:39:36 PM »
Or we do something even easier: REDUCE!

As stated the recent $10 decline in oil per barrel is due to demand forecasts for next year remaining steady with this years demand.  Hmmm... so if we reduce our usage we reduce the pricing.

BRILLIANT!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2008, 03:44:05 PM »
or..  we could do ALL OF THOSE THINGS..  wow!!! what a concept huh?   We could become less foreign oil dependent by doing all of those things including drilling for more of our own and solar and nuke and wind and any nutball or good idea that comes down the pike.

Your agenda is showing.

lazs

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2008, 03:45:01 PM »
and yours isn't?   :rofl

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2008, 03:51:19 PM »

I don't see an agenda from Lazs on this. He is saying use all available ideas and resources. I agree with him. Use solar, wind, nuclear, hydro-electric, coal, off shore drilling....whatever. Anything that makes us less dependent on other countries for our energy.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2008, 03:52:55 PM »

His agenda is freedom, your's isn't. I pick his.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2008, 03:52:57 PM »
What the situation was 20 years ago is not what it is today..  we need to quit worrying about who stopped all the exploration 20 years ago and stopped the nuke plants 20 years ago..

We need to worry about who is dragging their feet TODAY.

Vote the feet draggers out of office.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #164 on: July 17, 2008, 04:13:54 PM »
His agenda is freedom, your's isn't. I pick his.

Cool, your opinion not mine.  I'd like to be FREE of the TVA clogging up my air up by dragging their feet on their cleanup act.  FREE of polluted air and FREE of our dependence on foriegn influence.

At least the high energy prices are finally making some people step back and reconsider their choice of vehicles and lifestyles.  Maybe they aren't doing it for the environment or well being and just their wallets, but its still a change for the better.

Free from huge government handouts to oil companies reporting record profits?  That'd be cool too.