Author Topic: What makes a Liberal or a Conservative tick?  (Read 2286 times)

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
What makes a Liberal or a Conservative tick?
« on: July 17, 2008, 10:33:40 AM »
keep it civil please.....

I've pondered this a lot.  I also have many here call me a "Republican"..and I'm not.  I'm and Indy...with Conservative leanings on most issues...but not all...

anywho...I think it boils down to what type of government we want...

As a conservative...I only want-expect and demand one thing from my Government..which also happens to be their primary job....and that is to protect me and my family.  that's it.  I'll do the rest.

Liberals, I think, all share the idea that first and foremost they are victims of some kind.  I also think they want government to play a part in every facet of theirs, and everyone else's life.

what do you think?

Offline Slamfire

• Nickel Member
Re: What makes a Liberal or a Conservative tick?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 10:45:33 AM »
I would say that it can be broken down as follows:

- Conservatives don't like being told what to do, are ambitious, and like to take care of themselves.
- Liberals like telling others what to do, are lazy, and want to be taken care of.

:D

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 10:51:15 AM by Slamfire »
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Air Chief Marshal, Elite Top Aces
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 10:50:01 AM »
If you believe that every person is fully responsible for their own actions and should be held accountable for those actions, you believe the governemts is only there to provide for the common defence, and enforce the laws of the land, and that you get out of life what you put into it, then your conservative.

If you believe that people who do bad things must have a reason and that society has failed them in some way and they shouldn't be held resonsible for societies failures, you think the government is there to provide you with everything you need to live a comfortable life, free medical and dental, subsidies for everything, have them pay for all of your education and never ask you as a person to ever have to repay the government with your own money or even worse your time, and that anything that is done for "the greater good" is OK, then your a liberal.

Me, I'm a pretty conservative guy.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Flatbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 10:53:28 AM »
Repubs = Sphincters

Dems = Armpits

Both tend to stink but the reason is more obvious for one group.

Offline Carrel

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 10:59:55 AM »
I think liberals try to make things "fair", and aren't afraid to shake things up in this effort- Well meaning, but life isn't fair, which libs seem to miss occasionally.

Conservatives are fearful and distrustful of ANY change, and would rather sit in a tub of poo than take a chance on pulling the plug and refilling it because they're afraid what comes out of the nozzle might be worse. What has amused me the past eight years is the Conservatives STILL blame the Libs for anything and everything- Iraq, housing collapse, energy crisis- in spite of controlling Congress and the Presidency.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 11:19:58 AM by Carrel »

Offline slipknot

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
Liberals come in 2 basic varieties

1.)   Those that are so rich that they've lost all contact with reality and think that the live-and-let-live philosophy can effectively be applied to every possible aspect of life so that we can all co-exist in some sort of acid-tripping petrie dish of love and sharing. They have enough money so that their annual income no longer makes much of a difference, or their lawyers and/or money managers are in control of their finances to the degree that no amount of taxation will ever trouble them.

Example:   Larry David, as he is portrayed on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Net worth. Drives a Prius. Can afford to drive a Gulf Stream.

2.)   Those that are ineffectual and unambitious enough that they automatically blame anybody above their own socio-economic level for some sort of oppression--because, afterall, who else but the rich man can possibly be at fault for a poor man's failing.

Example:   Too many to name. Drives a Cadillac STS but had to take out a second mortgage to afford the monthly payments. Can afford to drive a Pruis.

Conservatives have varieties of their own, of course... the "Religion in public school" crowd epitomize one--comperable to the 2nd variety of liberal. The "I don't want to give my money away to parasitic public programs" epitomize the other.

Personally, I'd rather there be no religion in school, but at the same time, don't want to pay taxes to support the dregs... I like to refer to my variety as the "Neolibetive"

look out 2012
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 11:02:03 AM by slipknot »

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 11:03:43 AM »
Liberals come in 2 basic varieties

1.)   Those that are so rich that they've lost all contact with reality and think that the live-and-let-live philosophy can effectively be applied to every possible aspect of life so that we can all co-exist in some sort of acid-tripping petrie dish of love and sharing. They have enough money so that their annual income no longer makes much of a difference, or their lawyers and/or money managers are in control of their finances to the degree that no amount of taxation will ever trouble them.

Example:   Larry David, as he is portrayed on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Net worth. Drives a Prius. Can afford to drive a Gulf Stream.

2.)   Those that are ineffectual and unambitious enough that they automatically blame anybody above their own socio-economic level for some sort of oppression--because, afterall, who else but the rich man can possibly be at fault for a poor man's failing.

Example:   Too many to name. Drives a Cadillac STS but had to take out a second mortgage to afford the monthly payments. Can afford to drive a Pruis.

Conservatives have varieties of their own, of course... the "Religion in public school" crowd epitomize one--comperable to the 2nd variety of liberal. The "I don't want to give my money away to parasitic public programs" epitomize the other.

Personally, I'd rather there be no religion in school, but at the same time, don't want to pay taxes to support the dregs... I like to refer to my variety as the "Neolibetive"

look out 2012

LOL.......I have news for you.......that IS larry david. 

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 11:17:20 AM »
Well-meaning * Conservatives are people who are concerned about the BS we take off the government and the underclass. Well-meaning * Liberals are people who are concerned about the BS emanating from corporations and the troubles of the honest poor and hard-luck cases.

I am considered to lean well to the right on most issues, but Liberals have a valid concern in many cases, although I may not agree with their solutions. For instance, anyone can look at how much trouble the VA has in giving decent medical care just to veterans, and extrapolate that nationalized health care would be even more screwed up. Yet the fact remains that there are hardworking folks without a shred of health insurance out there. While you CAN get indigent care in the case of a major health crisis in this country, uncovered folks are dodging alot of checkups and preventative medicine.

And where can a gun-loving Conservative or rigidly consistent Libertarian stand on these corporations that forbid their employees to carry their personal weapon onto company property? They are exercising their lawful property rights, yet for all intents and purposes, they are taking away the right to carry weapons for self-defense from their employees.

Things aren't always so simple that you can assign horns to one party and halos to another.

*Politicians of whatever stripe, and I hope this is obvious to everyone by now, are the OPPOSITE of well-meaning.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 11:20:02 AM by BnZ »

Offline slipknot

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 11:18:59 AM »

LOL.......I have news for you.......that IS larry david. 

I don't doubt it.

I put in the qualification because I've never met him personally, nor have I ever been exposed to his politics outside of that show. I go by what I've seen, not what I can infer.

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 11:21:19 AM »
Well-meaning * Conservatives are people who are concerned about the BS we take off the government and the underclass. Well-meaning * Liberals are people who are concerned about the BS emanating from corporations and the troubles of the honest poor and hard-luck cases.

I am considered to lean well to the right on most issues, but Liberals have a valid concern in many cases, although I may not agree with their solutions. For instance, anyone can look at how much trouble the VA has in giving decent medical care just to veterans, and extrapolate that nationalized health care would be even more screwed up. Yet the fact remains that there are hardworking folks without a shred of health insurance out there. While you CAN get indigent care in the case of a major health crisis in this country, uncovered folks are dodging alot of checkups and preventative medicine.

And where can a gun-loving Conservative stand on these corporations that forbid their employees to carry their personal weapon onto company property? They are exercising their lawful property rights, yet for all intents and purposes, they are taking away the right to carry weapons for self-defense from their employees.

*Politicians of whatever stripe, and I hope this is obvious to everyone by now, are the OPPOSITE of well-meaning.

vet health issues were not talked about nearly as much by the dems before iraq..so take that with a grain of salt.

guns at work?  work is private property...and the owner can make the call.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 11:27:40 AM »
I think liberals try to make things "fair", and aren't afraid to shake things up in this effort- Well meaning, but life isn't fair, which libs seem to miss occasionally.

Conservatives are fearful and distruhugsl of ANY change, and would rather sit in a tub of poo than take a chance on pulling the plug and refilling it because they're afraid what comes out of the nozzle might be worse. What has amused me the past eight years is the Conservatives STILL blame the Libs for anything and everything- Iraq, housing collapse, energy crisis- in spite of controlling Congress and the Presidency.

You know, I often wonder about what the actual traumatic event is that causes modern day liberalism.  Everytime I come back to it, I'm sure it's getting picked last for dodgeball.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 11:33:50 AM »
You know, I often wonder about what the actual traumatic event is that causes modern day liberalism.  Everytime I come back to it, I'm sure it's getting picked last for dodgeball.

usually......and I am being serious here........not enough hugs from mom and dad.  it has a lot to do with wanting attention...as evidenced by the overwhelming odds of liberals who are performers and media people.

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 11:35:03 AM »

One thinks with its heart...one thinks with its mind

one is scared of this and does not trust or "feel" you are capable of owning anything that launches projectiles....

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 11:35:23 AM »
guns at work?  work is private property...and the owner can make the call.

What you mean to say is that if the owner won't even let you carry a gun in your car onto the parking lot, and brings gun-sniffing dogs onto the premises to check, he has the power to make your CCL useless for self-defense going to and from work. (Which is most of your regular person's to-ing and fro-ing.)

Not that many employees had warning either, many businesses, large and small, started these policies AFTER CCL laws came online in various states. So what, quit a job you've been at for years because they suddenly slapped an ass-hat policy down that has a chance, albeit it remote, of actually KILLING you?

Of course, for years there has been a "500 foot rule", about guns around schools, which prevents you from being in the legal clear picking up your kid if you leave your revolver in the gun box, or the deer rifle on the gun-rack for that matter. This policy did jack to prevent psychotics from shooting their classmates of course, but that I suppose is another issue entirely.

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 11:59:15 AM »
Liberals: want to tell everyone what to do in their public lives

Conservatives: want to tell everyone what to do in their private lives
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling