Author Topic: Waterboarding..Interrogation or Torture?(video)  (Read 2846 times)

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Waterboarding..Interrogation or Torture?(video)
« on: July 17, 2008, 07:47:24 PM »
Is waterboarding an acceptable method of interrogation or is it torture?

John Ashcroft thinks it's "acceptable"

http://cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/17/ashcroft.waterboarding/index.html

Feared political pugilist,and #1 best selling author(& ardent supporter of Iraq war effort) Christopher Hitchens walks the plank to find out.(video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuhJUmR4B6Q

What do you think?It is very effective as you can see...Does the "ends justify the means?"..

Should this method be used on someone not yet convicted of a crime?..And as mentioned,what if you get the wrong person?

I personally think it should be part of sentencing AFTER someone is convicted of a "Terrorist & murderist" act.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 07:51:01 PM by SirLoin »
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Re: Waterboarding..Interrogation or Torture?(video)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 08:02:30 PM »
I personally think it should be part of sentencing AFTER someone is convicted of a "Terrorist & murderist" act.

Why after? Either you're against, or you aren't.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:09:11 PM »
What do you think?It is very effective as you can see...Does the "ends justify the means?"..

Against terrorists? Yes!

Any American, who isn't a lawyer, that wants to sound like a lawyer about it, go look at some Al Qaeda beheading videos to stiffen your spine.

I wish we could drown them all. As far as Im concerned we should give every terrorist one trial in front of a military tribunal and if found guilty hang them the following morning.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 08:11:34 PM »
Why after? Either you're against, or you aren't.

Well then i guess i'm "for" it .
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 08:23:04 PM »
it just shows that the christian and muslim extremists have more in common than differences..

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 08:27:52 PM »
Whether are we for or against, it's prohibited. See 18 U.S.C. § 2340

“torture” means an act committed by a person acting under the color of law specifically intended to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering (other than pain or suffering incidental to lawful sanctions) upon another person within his custody or physical control;

and

Whoever outside the United States commits or attempts to commit torture shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both, and if death results to any person from conduct prohibited by this subsection, shall be punished by death or imprisoned for any term of years or for life.

and

Jurisdiction.— There is jurisdiction over the activity prohibited in subsection (a) if—
(1) the alleged offender is a national of the United States; or
(2) the alleged offender is present in the United States, irrespective of the nationality of the victim or alleged offender.

We also ratified United Nations Convention Against Torture which says:

1. For the purposes of this Convention, the term "torture" means any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in or incidental to lawful sanctions.

So...

Offline DYNAMITE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.texasaircav.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 08:32:58 PM »
It's torture... no question in my book...

And it used to be no question in America's book too... I've pointed this out before - after WWII the USA tried, convicted, and EXECUTED 8 Japanese officers for the WAR CRIME of Waterboarding...

I'm not naive enough to believe that the US never did this sort of thing before... I'm just not comfortable with the idea that this is now SOP.

Offline Hazzer

• Copper Member
      • Fleetwood town F.C. Cod Army
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 08:57:15 PM »
 It's torture,and the best recruiting Sargent their is for potential terrorists.In Northern ireland harsh  treatment of terrorist suspects gave rise to an increase in IRA membership.

Telling the world your morally superior while dishing out this sort of treatment,shows hypocrisy of the worst sort,it shows the USA in a negative light and can not help if your trying to spread Democracy and Justice.

Their are prisoners at Guantanamo that would love a Trial,military or civil.
"I murmured that I had no Shoes,till I met a man that had no Feet."

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 09:13:11 PM »
Torture?

IMO, its close enough that I don't want the United States to be known for it.

Let me give you a little truth: On the battlefield,  and in the backrooms, things have always happened out of pragmatic nessecity that aren't exactly legal. I know a guy who fought in Vietnam. They took two viet cong up in a helicopter. After they threw the first one out, the second was talkative. I don't like this sort of thing, nor do I loose sleep over them, but when the powers-that-be start trying to make this fact publically and legally acceptable, instead of something hush-hush, our country's values are getting very screwed up. And I think it is another part of a "boil the frog slowly" campaign to get Americans to gradually accept greater and greater levels of tyranny without rebellion.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:14:51 PM by BnZ »

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 09:14:49 PM »
I'm for waterboarding 100%.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 09:59:45 PM »
Should this method be used on someone not yet convicted of a crime?

Convicted of a crime?  So, the Marines get shot, level a building, pull the attackers out in a military engagement, and what...put them on trial??

LMAO

I've got a far better solution for the guys out there doing the hard job.  Quit messing around with these liberal twits, forget taking prisoners, just shoot the guys shooting at you and be done with them.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 10:04:53 PM »
I'm against torture of any kind. What ever happened to the so called truth serums? Aren't those supposed to be more effective anyways?

This particular guy didn't last long at all did he? I don't suppose I would last any longer though without a darn good reason to.  :)
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 10:19:31 PM »
It's torture and unacceptable.  I have no desire to watch terrorist kidnappers slice off a guy's head.  Nor would I have any desire to watch our own soldiers terrorize a prisoner.  I find it sad that any other Americans would find it acceptable.  I find it simply deplorable that our President would condone this behavior.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
      • Strike Manufacturing Inc.
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 12:17:22 AM »
It's torture and unacceptable.  I have no desire to watch terrorist kidnappers slice off a guy's head.  Nor would I have any desire to watch our own soldiers terrorize a prisoner.  I find it sad that any other Americans would find it acceptable.  I find it simply deplorable that our President would condone this behavior.
:aok

If they find it an acceptable way of getting information then soon you would find it used by the government against its own people. :confused: Say good by to you civil liberties.
"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition"
You can be one but NOT both...

Fully Fledged Practising Atheist Bishop

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 12:25:17 AM »
it just shows that the christian and muslim extremists have more in common than differences..
Yeah, simulated drowning is right up there with murderous beheading :rolleyes:
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns