Author Topic: The collision model SUCKS I hate it.  (Read 8810 times)

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
Re: The collision model SUCKS I hate it.
« Reply #225 on: July 23, 2008, 04:12:36 AM »
The collision model is fracked. Yes, it records a collision. It just gives the wrong damage. It records the smaller plane taking catastrophic damage and the larger plane taking 0%. That is my experience 9 out of 10 times. Hit a B-17 with a 109 and the 109 will go down but the B-17 flys away. History proves this differently.

weird my experience has been the opposite. I have lost many B17's to fighters that have collided with me.

I am just guessing here but I am assuming that in most of the times tha tyou are talking about you are in the 109 and your computer shows collision on your monitor. Which means that your opponent most likely did not see the collision on his machine due to lag.

Collision damage is only dished out to the player's plane that had it show on their computer.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #226 on: July 23, 2008, 04:41:00 AM »
The collision model is fracked. Yes, it records a collision. It just gives the wrong damage. It records the smaller plane taking catastrophic damage and the larger plane taking 0%. That is my experience 9 out of 10 times. Hit a B-17 with a 109 and the 109 will go down but the B-17 flys away. History proves this differently.

Think you might want to look at the pictures posted in this thread. Then reassess your complaint.
See Rule #4

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #227 on: July 23, 2008, 06:18:15 AM »
<for Bighorn>

I didn't mean to infer that mouse lag was related to Prerender limit, just that if you searched for both relative to vsync you'd see discussions that would perhaps be illuminating regarding gaming.

And actually, I believe that you have it backwards.  Most modern games use triple buffering to decouple the video hardware from the processing loop, and there usually isn't any benefit from turning it off.  And when turning it off introduces detection problems, they are often subtle.  (i.e. rubber bullet syndrome)

Bottom line is if you are disagreeing that if he is experiencing what appear to be near collisions visually but which his FE records as an actual collision, and he has VSync off, that there is no way he could possibly benefit from turning it back on, then we are going to have to agree to disagree.

I'm fully convinced that the overwhelming weight of general evidence (as well as the specific - where every recommendation I've seen from HTC staff regarding VSync is to turn it on) is that he should turn it on.   

<S>
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 06:19:58 AM by Ghastly »
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #228 on: July 23, 2008, 04:01:53 PM »
And actually, I believe that you have it backwards.  Most modern games use triple buffering to decouple the video hardware from the processing loop, and there usually isn't any benefit from turning it off.  And when turning it off introduces detection problems, they are often subtle.  (i.e. rubber bullet syndrome)

I very much doubt that more than a handful direcX games directly support triple buffering. Besides, triple buffering works well only on fast CPU  machines with large amount of Vram.

As far as rubber bullets go, It is possible. Better yet, ask HiTech if this problem actually exist because of Vsync or is it something else like dropped packets.

Bottom line is if you are disagreeing that if he is experiencing what appear to be near collisions visually but which his FE records as an actual collision, and he has VSync off, that there is no way he could possibly benefit from turning it back on, then we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Collision problems are due to displacement lag and/or input lag. If anyone claims it is due to Vsync turned off I wanna see the proof.

I'm fully convinced that the overwhelming weight of general evidence (as well as the specific - where every recommendation I've seen from HTC staff regarding VSync is to turn it on) is that he should turn it on.

As I have said before, if you do not experience any troubles with vsync off, than there is no compelling reason to turn it on.

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #229 on: July 24, 2008, 07:29:19 AM »
As I have said before, if you do not experience any troubles with vsync off, than there is no compelling reason to turn it on.

I don't see a compelling reason to turn if off!
The Hay Street Boys

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #230 on: July 24, 2008, 07:30:55 AM »
Skuzzy, please lock this thread, it has no purpose.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #231 on: July 24, 2008, 08:00:03 AM »
Skuzzy, please lock this thread, it has no purpose.

Just don't read it.

Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #232 on: July 24, 2008, 08:02:30 AM »
As far as rubber bullets go, It is possible. Better yet, ask HiTech if this problem actually exist because of Vsync or is it something else like dropped packets.

I have been hearing about this since I started (I think it is 5 years now).  However, I don't remember seeing the official answer on that subject.  Lots of 'expert' opinions, but no official answer.  I apologize if there was one and I missed it.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #233 on: July 24, 2008, 08:28:57 AM »
I have been hearing about this since I started (I think it is 5 years now).  However, I don't remember seeing the official answer on that subject.  Lots of 'expert' opinions, but no official answer.  I apologize if there was one and I missed it.

Do not sweat it dsfire.  Sounds like you have vsync enabled which you want in this game.  Those people reporting high frame rates maybe running vsync off, in which case, they are more likely to suffer from the "rubber bullet" syndrome.

I would not use AF, as it really does not help much and will blur the text.  It is up to you on this.

I run 2XAA @ 1600x1200 on mine.  Should be fine.

Yes, vsync enabled is a good thing.

There are a couple of objects in the game which do have somne Z fighting happening and will be corrected in the next patch.

Playing the game with vsync off is not a good idea.  It can have detrimental effects on many aspects of the game.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #234 on: July 24, 2008, 08:39:15 AM »
I don't see a compelling reason to turn if off!

If your system can always keep up with monitor refresh rate, then by all means keep it on.

If not, than your overall frame rate will drop due to how synchronizing works. Lets say you run monitor at 100 Hz. If your GPU can't quite manage that rate at times it'll drop to 50, instead of maybe 98.
If you are in the midst of large bomber formation and your GPU can draw 49 frames only, your frame rate will drop down to next available rate of 25. at 49 frames, game is still playable, at 25 not so.

On the low end, that's significant difference and compelling enough to turn vsync off, if it doesn't cause any graphic glitches like tearing.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #235 on: July 24, 2008, 09:06:54 AM »
2bighorn: You are describing the double buffer sync problem, almost all games including AH have used triple buffering for a long time

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #236 on: July 24, 2008, 09:10:23 AM »
Ya, this looks like a debris hit... you get that odd clang sound byte but take no damage. :)

Edit: sometimes that sound catches me off guard and makes me jump in my seat a little.. dunno why, lol.
It sounds like a two ton garage door falling free against metal  :P
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #237 on: July 24, 2008, 09:13:36 AM »
The model doesn't work in function of impactor or impactee size, it works in function of each players' front end.  You get what you see.

The only fault in the collision model is (once again) because of internet lag. It's sometimes possible to fly thru another plane (parts attached to its pilot) somehow, probably because of / thanks to the physics update frequency.  It's really rare though. Something like 1/100 or something of that order of magnitude.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 09:16:30 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #238 on: July 24, 2008, 09:15:20 AM »

HiTech did say, that if you register hit or collision on your side, then it did happen. Now, what is registered on your side has to be acknowledged by the server and other party. There are gazillion of things which can happen to packets between two end points.

The usual culprits are BG processes, PF, NAT, Wireless, QOS, asynchronous routes, etc. If I'd had rubber bullets I'd look to net problems firstly and then all others.

IIRC he once said that hits registration goes over TCP/IP rather than UDP, so it shouldn't happen that often.

Also, I have never experienced rubber bullets even though my ISP is RR, I'm behind NAT, hardware and personal firewall, run AV all the times and my Vsync is Off.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #239 on: July 24, 2008, 09:17:02 AM »
2bighorn: You are describing the double buffer sync problem, almost all games including AH have used triple buffering for a long time

Cool, didn't know that AH makes use of it.