Author Topic: The collision model SUCKS I hate it.  (Read 8766 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: The collision model SUCKS I hate it.
« Reply #210 on: July 22, 2008, 11:47:43 AM »
Ya, this looks like a debris hit... you get that odd clang sound byte but take no damage. :)

Edit: sometimes that sound catches me off guard and makes me jump in my seat a little.. dunno why, lol.

hhmm.......meby i shouldn't say this............

shouldn't we take damage from hitting debris? :noid :noid

<<<<<<<<<<waits not for another 20 pages of flaming, realizing that i just took the focus off of steve :noid :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #211 on: July 22, 2008, 12:03:17 PM »

hhmm.......meby i shouldn't say this............

shouldn't we take damage from hitting debris? :noid :noid

<<<<<<<<<<waits not for another 20 pages of flaming, realizing that i just took the focus off of steve :noid :rofl

Well, interestingly enough with debris that size, you think you would. I don't mind getting flamed,  In an exchange of ideas, there's bound to be people who can't control themselves. :)

I'm just guessing... would tracking/coding multiple pieces of debris be taxing to the server... our PC's?
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #212 on: July 22, 2008, 12:30:01 PM »
Well, interestingly enough with debris that size, you think you would. I don't mind getting flamed,  In an exchange of ideas, there's bound to be people who can't control themselves. :)

I'm just guessing... would tracking/coding multiple pieces of debris be taxing to the server... our PC's?

My guess it that it is already being tracked since it knows to play the sound when you hit debris.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #213 on: July 22, 2008, 12:38:03 PM »
My guess it that it is already being tracked since it knows to play the sound when you hit debris.

Touche'!
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #214 on: July 22, 2008, 01:35:16 PM »
What I wonder is when packets get lost, lets say from those 4 updates per seconds one get dropped (warp), is that taken into account, or I still collide no matter what?

That is what is causing the complains.  I keep missing planes clearly.  I am close, but a clear miss on my FE and yet, the collision message appears.  Either a bug or a micro warp or smoothing coad or what ever it is that is causing it, it does happen!  People keep saying that they collide when they clearly missed, and every one tells them that they didn't miss?  :rofl

In any case, you have to take into account that the FE and the server transmit every 250ms.  Lose a packet and that is half a second or more so really net lag accounts for almost nothing here.  The guys that do fight close and slow do know that you get pinged from impossible angles while tracers are missing.  That can show you how big the difference is between the two FEs.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #215 on: July 22, 2008, 01:45:39 PM »
dedalos: is 100 % incorrect in his evaluation and claims.  If you collide, you have hit the other airplane on your computer.

HiTech

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #216 on: July 22, 2008, 01:47:43 PM »
That is what is causing the complains.  I keep missing planes clearly.  I am close, but a clear miss on my FE and yet, the collision message appears.  Either a bug or a micro warp or smoothing coad or what ever it is that is causing it, it does happen!  People keep saying that they collide when they clearly missed, and every one tells them that they didn't miss?  :rofl

In any case, you have to take into account that the FE and the server transmit every 250ms.  Lose a packet and that is half a second or more so really net lag accounts for almost nothing here.  The guys that do fight close and slow do know that you get pinged from impossible angles while tracers are missing.  That can show you how big the difference is between the two FEs.

Dedalos, that to me sounds like you might be running with VSync off.  Are you?  If your system runs too far ahead, what can happen is that you are actually colliding on a frame you never get to see.

(And apologies to Dale for pushing him farther over the hill than he is earlier in the thread :D)

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #217 on: July 22, 2008, 01:56:58 PM »
Dedalos, that to me sounds like you might be running with VSync off.  Are you?  If your system runs too far ahead, what can happen is that you are actually colliding on a frame you never get to see.

I don't believe that game would read position from the screen. It's other way around and graphic tear shouldn't cause collisions and from my experience it does not.

My only beef with collisions is damage model.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #218 on: July 22, 2008, 02:05:06 PM »
... I don't believe that game would read position from the screen. ...

It doesn't. 

What having Vsync off does is allow the game to render screens faster than the information can be displayed, so what can happen is that events can occur without you being able to see them (As you are still looking at an old frame).

<S>

Grue

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #219 on: July 22, 2008, 02:34:40 PM »
dedalos: is 100 % incorrect in his evaluation and claims.  If you collide, you have hit the other airplane on your computer.

HiTech

Very true! I'm just speculating on why sometimes it seems that you collide even after you missed them.

What else am I wrong?  The 250ms?
The sometimes impossible angles?  Wouldn't that be a result of seeing different things on different FEs?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #220 on: July 22, 2008, 03:03:37 PM »
What having Vsync off does is allow the game to render screens faster than the information can be displayed, so what can happen is that events can occur without you being able to see them (As you are still looking at an old frame).

Sorry, you're not looking at the old frame. With vsync off you're looking at the last frame, although sometimes frames overlap in buffer and sometimes incomplete/overlapped frame/frames can be pulled, hence you got some artifacts like tearing, etc.

With double buffering and page flipping sync that problems is pretty much solved and I haven't seen any tearing, shearing in a very very long time.

As for the performance, unless your system can keep up with monitor refresh rate at all times, vsync-on will degrade your overall frame rate due to timing issues.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #221 on: July 22, 2008, 03:17:26 PM »
The 250ms?

That's just the rate at which position is updated. Position in between is (my guess) calculated.

The sometimes impossible angles?
Lag...

There's another delay caused by some LCD screens (not to be confused with pixel response time), which also adds to overall lag
 (long live CRTs  :D )
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 03:19:20 PM by 2bighorn »

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #222 on: July 22, 2008, 04:08:56 PM »
Sorry, you're not looking at the old frame. With vsync off you're looking at the last frame, although sometimes frames overlap in buffer and sometimes incomplete/overlapped frame/frames can be pulled, hence you got some artifacts like tearing, etc.

With double buffering and page flipping sync that problems is pretty much solved and I haven't seen any tearing, shearing in a very very long time.

As for the performance, unless your system can keep up with monitor refresh rate at all times, vsync-on will degrade your overall frame rate due to timing issues.

Believe what you want, Bighorn.  In addition to the shearing, tearing and artifacting, one of the other ways that edit-> having VSync off <-edit will affect most 3D games is to allow what's displayed to "lag" behind what the game engine internally "knows" to a varying degree dependent upon the speed of your computer, video subsystem, and the complexity of the algorithm in the game.

Do an Internet search for VSync and mouse lag, PrerenderLimit and/or Render no more than (x) Frames ahead, and specific to flight sims, Vsync and "rubber bullet syndrome".

<S>

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:12:58 PM by Ghastly »
Grue

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #223 on: July 22, 2008, 04:39:09 PM »
Believe what you want, Bighorn.  In addition to the shearing, tearing and artifacting, one of the other ways that edit-> having VSync off <-edit will affect most 3D games is to allow what's displayed to "lag" behind what the game engine internally "knows" to a varying degree dependent upon the speed of your computer, video subsystem, and the complexity of the algorithm in the game.

"Most" belong to the past. Rarely you'll get any ill effects turning vsync off. If you do, turn it back on. Simple as that.
But if you don't get any ill effects, there's no reason to have it on.

Do an Internet search for VSync and mouse lag, PrerenderLimit and/or Render no more than (x) Frames ahead, and specific to flight sims, Vsync and "rubber bullet syndrome".

Mouse lag is more specific to FPS games, and more often than not is due to interface (PS/2, USB) polling frequency and lack of CPU cycles rather than prerender limit.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #224 on: July 23, 2008, 04:05:26 AM »
The collision model is fracked. Yes, it records a collision. It just gives the wrong damage. It records the smaller plane taking catastrophic damage and the larger plane taking 0%. That is my experience 9 out of 10 times. Hit a B-17 with a 109 and the 109 will go down but the B-17 flys away. History proves this differently.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.