Author Topic: This always puzzles me  (Read 1318 times)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
This always puzzles me
« on: July 21, 2008, 01:19:13 AM »
    A guy has 6 enemy on him, I stay out and drift to the side (if Im not 1 of the 6) and figure hes got enough problems and then he runs to me, bent on getting somebody before he dies.

If he just took them on, he may kill a couple rather than trying for a few pings on a plane, and exposing his six to the enemy without even trying.

Just always seemed an odd thing to do.

~AoM~

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Re: This always puzzles me
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 01:23:07 AM »
It's the noob thing to do, specially if you are in a HO plane.. Those are the best ones.. run from one con to the next trying to cherry pick or HO..
"strafing"

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 01:27:44 AM »
but hey that P40 is just too much of an attractive target, only stupid noobs fly those right???

;)
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 03:12:26 AM »
but hey that P40 is just too much of an attractive target, only stupid noobs fly those right???

;)

That's true.  The P-40 is the "easy kill".  P-40s scare me (FiLtH).

Or, you're the closest thing he can get his nose on.  Target of opportunity?  Keep that K?D at 1 to 1 for that sortie?

wrngway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 07:38:03 AM »
    A guy has 6 enemy on him, I stay out and drift to the side (if Im not 1 of the 6) and figure hes got enough problems and then he runs to me, bent on getting somebody before he dies.

If he just took them on, he may kill a couple rather than trying for a few pings on a plane, and exposing his six to the enemy without even trying.

i've never understood why people would engage a bogie when they see only 2 or 3 on him already..........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 09:19:49 AM »
 :rofl I've wondered the same thing Filth.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 10:00:31 AM »
i've never understood why people would engage a bogie when they see only 2 or 3 on him already..........

The people who do this either don't yet understand the trouble they're getting themselves into (from higher cons) by doing this, or don't have the confidence to deal with that trouble on an equal footing, so rely on the "wildebeest crossing the river" defense. 

Gotta love it when you're dominating a guy down low, a guy dives down and clears your 12, and then you both get bounced by the higher con your "hero" was originally in a position to intercept.

Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 10:18:56 AM »
Hehehe...clears your 12

Thats the other part of it...sometimes I swear that the friends chasin that guy to me, are actually waiting to see what happens! LOL

But what makes me the most angry is when Im fighting a con, and I see tracers behind me shooting at my target. I say "You must want him more than I do" and break off and find another target, and the friend for some reason doesnt kill the guy I was on previously, and he comes back to engage me now that Im busy.

Its a crazy world!

~AoM~

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 11:12:57 AM »
The P-40 gets the worst treatment in the game. Even more than the La, or Pony! Whenever anyone sees a P-40 in the skies they think "easy kill" rather than thinking if this guy takes a P-40 rather than a P-51 or a Spitfire, he must be good. Though sometimes they are complete noobs  :) . If a P-40 enters a furball, every enemy leaves whatever target they are on to go kill the P-40! The same goes for Bombers in a furball too!  :lol

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 11:20:48 AM »
Whenever anyone sees a P-40 in the skies they think "easy kill"
Nah. Players with common sense deals w/ planes as needed, prioritized by threat level to whatever their goal is.  It's not "anyone" doing what you suggest.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 11:21:59 AM »

The thought process of 'Well I may die but if I shoot down Filth I've heard they'll drop a year or two early' perhaps? :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 11:31:53 AM »
The P-40 gets the worst treatment in the game. Even more than the La, or Pony! Whenever anyone sees a P-40 in the skies they think "easy kill" rather than thinking if this guy takes a P-40 rather than a P-51 or a Spitfire, he must be good. Though sometimes they are complete noobs  :) . If a P-40 enters a furball, every enemy leaves whatever target they are on to go kill the P-40! The same goes for Bombers in a furball too!  :lol

Personally I give P40's, Spit 1's , Huri 1's and FM2's much more respect than any of the late war rides. I figure if someone ups one of those planes it's better than a 50% chance that they know what they are doing and have something to prove.   
"strafing"

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 11:34:35 AM »
Hehehe...clears your 12

Thats the other part of it...sometimes I swear that the friends chasin that guy to me, are actually waiting to see what happens! LOL

But what makes me the most angry is when Im fighting a con, and I see tracers behind me shooting at my target. I say "You must want him more than I do" and break off and find another target, and the friend for some reason doesnt kill the guy I was on previously, and he comes back to engage me now that Im busy.

Its a crazy world!

Oh I really hate over the shoulder shooters.. Those guys really tick me off to the point I'll tell them over VOX to get the hell off my kill, that is annoying to no end.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 01:41:12 PM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline Jenks

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 12:18:24 PM »

Gotta love it when you're dominating a guy down low, a guy dives down and clears your 12, and then you both get bounced by the higher con your "hero" was originally in a position to intercept.

Oh so true!
MA  The Flying Circus
     Clown in training

FSO  JG11

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 02:14:44 PM »
My favorite permutation of this scenario is the La7 driver that comes in with some alt, tries a HO on one or several of the intervening cons willing to fight him before majestically swan diving down at 500mph toward the take-off spots on the runways for vulch passes before he inevitably blows his E and gets run down...There's quite a few people who pretty much ONLY do this and several of them are by no means "noobs"...
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc