Author Topic: Very Green and sooo lost  (Read 1228 times)

Offline KysrSose

• Zinc Member
Very Green and sooo lost
« on: July 21, 2008, 10:30:47 PM »
Very Green and sooo lost, well that is not completely true.  I have perfected flying in a left handed circle and crashing.  Other than that I's lost. 

I can take off (by the grace of God) and flying around some in the training area but thats it.  I have not had one successful landing and can barely shoot down the plans flying around the training base. 

I was wondering if someone could just point out the basics to me or send me to a sight that can.  Most games have some kind of tutorial that can get you started but I did not see one for this. 

I can get my gear up and down, I know how to raise and lower my flaps but am not sure when to do so (I think they go down to land) and i can shoot my guns and cannons, and that is about it. 

Also I was wondering what is a good plane to learn in?  And should I go fighter/Attacker or bomber to start?

I have had a blast so far even though I am horrible, but I would really like to get some skills up so I can do more than crash and die, then I think I'd have more fun  :D plus I might be able to help out too.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: Very Green and sooo lost
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 10:33:17 PM »
Netaces.org is great, as are the support pages here.
You'll want to get at least a cheap twisty stick if you want to really enjoy the game.

Offline KysrSose

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 10:42:40 PM »
Thx for the sight and I have a Saitek Cyborg Evo Force feadback stick.

I tried to paly it for about 2 min w/o the stick and was like , uh nope not gonna happen.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 10:42:51 PM »
First and foremost READ, READ, READ.  You can never learn enough in this game.  Suggested sites are as follow

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/  Lots of information there to get you off the ground and give you the basics.
www.netaces.org Again... lots of information and, at this point, you're going to be going into information overload

What are you trying to fly with?  Mouse and keyboard is difficult at best and the people who can do it probably do calculus in their heads.  Go drop $20 on a cheap Saitek joystick and see if this is something you're passionate about or if it's going to be a passing interest.

If you are passionate about it there are a couple of things to realize.  You are going to die a LOT early on.  I've seen some savants in the last two years but for the average person with limited time on your hands there is a steep uphill curve that rockets up then levels off then gradually increases with time and training.

Ask questions.  Some people will make smart comments and throw out the 'noob' nonsense.  Don't listen to them.  

If you go to the TA ask for help.  Generally someone will be willing to help you with any question you have.  

Best of luck to you.  I intend to spend a little more time in the TA in the coming weeks both to sharpen my edge but also to help new people who need it.  

Call sign Dichodog.  If you see me in there give me a shout.  

edit: whoops redundancy re stick

JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 10:48:45 PM »
All you now need is at http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/  :aok
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 10:49:15 PM »
Thx for the sight and I have a Saitek Cyborg Evo Force feadback stick.

I tried to paly it for about 2 min w/o the stick and was like , uh nope not gonna happen.
Ahh, good, I had a Saitek Cyborg Evo myself when I started, good stick :aok

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 10:56:10 PM »
I'd be more then happy to teach you to land in the TA.  It's really pretty easy to do once you understand the basic concepts.  I would never presume to teach you air combat manuevering, but I can teach you to land and take off (probably not in that order).

Look me up, my name is PFactorD in game.  I'm around quite a bit during the afternoon and evenings.  You can PM me here on the BBS to arrange a time to meet up, or find me in game.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 06:28:42 AM »
Very Green and sooo lost, well that is not completely true.  I have perfected flying in a left handed circle and crashing.  Other than that I's lost. 

I can take off (by the grace of God) and flying around some in the training area but thats it.  I have not had one successful landing and can barely shoot down the plans flying around the training base. 

I was wondering if someone could just point out the basics to me or send me to a sight that can.  Most games have some kind of tutorial that can get you started but I did not see one for this. 

I can get my gear up and down, I know how to raise and lower my flaps but am not sure when to do so (I think they go down to land) and i can shoot my guns and cannons, and that is about it. 

Also I was wondering what is a good plane to learn in?  And should I go fighter/Attacker or bomber to start?

I have had a blast so far even though I am horrible, but I would really like to get some skills up so I can do more than crash and die, then I think I'd have more fun  :D plus I might be able to help out too.

Welcome to your addiction  :D

You can fly or drive anything you are comfortable with. As a beginner, buffs may be the easiest. Use auto take off untill you get the hang of taking off and landing yourself. NEVER take more than 50 % fuel, or the buffs are way too heavy to lift off, and you never fly far enough to need more (50% will carry you across a full map). 

For a fighter, a Spitfire VIII is a good choice. Its very stable in the air, but should you push it too far easy to recover in. good ammo, good speed, good turning ability. The more "fighter" the type of fighter you pick, the less stable it will be. The fast planes basically hate being slow, and the turny planes hate going fast. The Spit 8 is a good middle ground.

As stated above, READ, READ, READ ! The Training site and Net Aces are VERY good sources to learn how to do this stuff. Remember, it WILL take you 6 months to become average at this game  :O There is a lot to learn. Some learn it quick, some not so quick....like me  :D and it can be pretty frustrating. As questions both here and in the arenas. You'll get a bunch of bogus answers from those that "Think they are smartarnoldes", but most will help you out.

Good luck, and Welcome to Aces High !

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 06:40:52 AM »
Ahh, good, I had a Saitek Cyborg Evo myself when I started, good stick :aok
same, its a great stick for getting use to game. not many buttons, enough to get you flying, shooting, turning, yadda yadda.
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
KysrSose, what is your in game name?  I feel your pain buddy, new guy myself (just about a month and half in).  I almost quit the game 3 weeks in.  Like these guys said, read, read, read.  There is so much to learn though, and it is so fun you want to get up and fly, so don't be afraid to ask questions.  Unfortunately there are those couple of clever and entitled people who will give you attitude (Because they came out of the womb Top Guns and were never "noobs" themselves), but more than not you will find someone more than willing to help you out.  Any questions you post here are answered quickly and honestly.  Fugitive was right, for me the Spitfires were the easiest thing to learn in.  A piece of advice from one N00B to another, more than anything, remember that these planes are modeled to fly like the real things, they are not modeled to fly like a video game plane.  Keep at it and you will find yourself able to control your plane out of sheer time in the virtual cockpit.  Be gentle with the stick, jerking it straight back will surely send you spinning to the ground.  One more thing, don't wear a flightsuit with the horizontal stripes, I find they make me look fat. Good luck sir!
ODBAL

39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Armed & Lubricated)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 11:11:04 AM »
Yes that's something one of my squad mates talked me through.  You'll find that your abilities will ramp up quickly then level off.  When this happens the game gets frustrating and a lot of people figure they'll never be able to land more than one lucky kill per sortie and they'll never be able to hang with the big boys so they walk away.  Best medicine when you hit these periods is study films of your fights.  See where you're going wrong or ask someone to take a look for you and work on where you're making mistakes.  You'll start seeing improvement again fairly quickly.

Also I HIGHLY recommend you look at the off line missions.  They are great for giving you a more realistic experience and for helping you work on situation awareness and deflection shooting.  Baumer and USRanger have some really nice ones put together that you can get in and out of in less than 20 minutes. 

JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline KysrSose

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 11:17:12 AM »
Ok, currently Reading, Reading, Reading right now and crashing crashing crashing...lol  but still loving it.

I enjoy a challenge and since I can't fly the real things AH2 will have to do :)

Thanks everyone for your post and all the great help, I can already see that this game has a great community, and thats enough to turn any average game great, so I can only imagine what it will do for a great game like this one.  So  :rock on and hope to see you in the skies soon!

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 02:06:23 PM »
Ky if it helps then do know that none of us started off any different.

One thing I recommend is get your voice vox going. Get a pair of headphones with a mic so's you can actually talk to people in the game. That will help immensely. Once you get that set then your ready to go.

Another thing I did, besides print out every training source I could, is I spent the first part of the game day in the training arena. Even if all I did was practice landing and taking off bombers, or gunnery, I would go into the TA for the first flight of the day. There were times I spent hours in the TA.

Be patient. It might take some time to become good at this game but it doesnt take any time to start having fun with it.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 02:09:31 PM »
Welcome to the show. :aok  As mentioned by all the guys above, keep reading and practicing.  Everyone is offering great advice to you.  Use the off line missions to give you an idea of what it's like to fly against an opponent that shoots back.  Just try to remember, many of the players you are going to fight the first few months have been here a long time.  You're going to make mistakes.  Try not to get discouraged.  Try different planes and see which one you like the most.  All have advantages and disadvantages.  You can find the flight characteristics on Donzo's web site.  I made a book of things I printed when I started.  It helped immensely!  When you get stuck during this crucial learning process, ask questions here or in the Training Arena.  You might not get the help you're looking for if you ask in the Main Arena. 

Oh and to all the others that offered great advice and encouragement, it's posts like this that make me proud to be a member of this community!  You guys are great! :aok
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 04:06:44 PM »
I'm going to suggest something now that maybe not everyone will agree with...

If you're a WWII nut, or even vaguely familiar with the air war, and and there's a specific aircraft that you like, go for it. Don't worry about whats the best for beginners, what's fastest, what turns the tightest, what has the heaviest armament, etc.. Just fly the plane you like.
Flying Spitfires, Lavochkins, etc. at first is just going to handicap you and make it that much harder when you finally move on to the planes you really like. If you like, say, the P51, go for it, even though it's very tough to really fight in for beginners. I wish I would have just gone right to the 109 when I started instead of screwing around in 'teh bestest' planes for the first couple of months...

On a similar note, I'd turn off stall limiter right of the bat, it will stunt your progress a bit in the beginning, but if you get used to flying with it on it seems to be a much harder transition as opposed to just learning with it off in the first place.