Author Topic: keep getting discoed  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Thruster

• Nickel Member
Re: keep getting discoed
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2008, 04:19:49 PM »
Thanks Death, went thru those items long ago.

BUT I was still encountering disco's exclusively while attempting to choose things in the hangar of the DA (No joy at all with the MA) and just for kicks went into the TA and was able to select loadouts, planes, etc. When I went back to the DA I was able to navigate in the hangar!!!!! Now the DA and TA seem to be the only arenas where I'm welcome.

Just doesn't seem like an IP problem. If so I would think I would have a less HTC specific list of issues.

Offline Thruster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 06:06:07 PM »
Update, now the TA's getting buggy, can up and fly but not navigate the hangar. Uninstalled then reinstalled AH and I thought I'd have to input my password and ID. Nope, it was right there on the sign-in screen. Does HTC remember my address? I also don't understand how a sporadic connection affects my in game settings. Every time I log in the last plane I flew is in the hangar but the loadout's changed. Trying to correct it gets me booted unless I get REAl lucky.

Ideas?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2008, 06:05:05 AM »
Rename the HTC folder, then install the game.  Hvae you been running the game while an anti-virus program ran?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Thruster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2008, 07:20:26 AM »
"Hvae you been running the game while an anti-virus program ran?"

Can't say it's never happened. I'm pretty good at killing apps/processes before login.

I'll give the rename a shot though. What happens when I want to uninstall the old folder? Just delete it?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2008, 08:16:22 AM »
"Hvae you been running the game while an anti-virus program ran?"

Can't say it's never happened. I'm pretty good at killing apps/processes before login.

I'll give the rename a shot though. What happens when I want to uninstall the old folder? Just delete it?

Yes.  Uninstalling the game does not remove the folders and files the game creates after it has been installed.

Also, do not install any custom sounds!!!
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Thruster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2008, 12:27:46 PM »
That seems to have done it. I got the spinning kneebord but deleted video8.cfg and I'm again able to navigate the other arenas. So far, so good. Love to know what the issue was.

Offline Thruster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2008, 02:36:21 PM »
Well it didn't.

I did manage a few sorties in the MA but just as often got disco'd. Removed all AV, spyware etc. No real improvement. I've been able to actually navigate the hangar but not every time. Whenever I relog my texture settings change whether I delete video8.cfg or not.

Seems the only halfway decent connect I get is in the DA and that's gotten spotty. Oddly after some disco's my internet connect is completely shot requiring a reboot. Looks like something specific to Ah not Comcast. Otherwise I figure I would at least have some server end reliability.

Yesterday I changed a gun sight, never took. Today I log on and there it is. Not sure how network shaping affects AH settings but it's time to fix or forget.

Offline Thruster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2008, 11:40:45 PM »
So........

I'm to assume we've come to an end of possible culprits? Nothing to be done?

Wow.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2008, 09:35:18 AM »
At Neary:

Why don't you first try looking for contact details at your company's website?

http://www.qwest.com/
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2008, 09:47:41 AM »
So........

I'm to assume we've come to an end of possible culprits? Nothing to be done?

Wow.

Not enough information to make any guesses.  You said you had the spinning clipboard.  That is a clue that you either have a dual core AMD CPU or a dual core Intel laptop system.  If the AMD patches do jnot fix the spinning clipboard, which I will assume they did not, then you have to run the game in "Windows 98/ME" compatibility mode.

I only assumed you rad all the stickys about this problem.  The spinning flap on the clipboard is an old issue and there are fixes for it.  All of it is documented in the stickys in this forum.  Until you resolve that, there is nothing anyone can do.  If you chose not to fix it correctly, then you are stuck with what you have.

The spinning clipboard issue cannot be resolved with removing the "video8.cfg" file.  The spinning clipboard is a manifestation of many problems when trying to run the game multi-threaded on an AMD dual core CPU or on a dual core Intel laptop.  There is absolutely nothing we can do to fix those issues as they are hardware related problems.

Your problems are also compounded by Comcast and the way they are altering the packets on thier network.  There is nothing anyone can do to make that better.  Comcast's issues may stem from supplying VoIP service to a long distance Internet phone company.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:50:52 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Thruster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2008, 10:59:22 AM »
I should probably take this topic off the BBS and just put together an email. In 10 plus posts on this thread I only mentioned the clipboard once and only in the interest of providing a comprehensive report. I know your busy, but trust me that I've followed the sticky's to the letter. Everything from optimizer patches to service shutdowns to googling every process and service my machine runs to switching pci slots.

The spinning clipboard is the least of my worries. In previous contacts I've outlined the fixes, patches and other sundry hoops I've jumped through and it's like one of those dreams where I chase an objective as it continually evades my grasp.

Done the amd dual processor patch. Months ago after upgrading and running into the typical dual processor issues. Did the job. Only once recently did I get the clipboard issue and in reality I don't think it actually "spun" but kind of started to and stopped while the screen colors went dark as they would when the board used to spin. I used that reference as it looked like the same issue.

To recap:

The big problem is limited access. I can up and fly the DA fairly well. Not navigate the hangar. When I sit in the tower for any length of time I will disco about half the time. MA's are real spotty. I can sometimes fly a few sorties, but not navigate the hangar with maybe 1 exception out of myriad attempts. Mostly just disco before the map even populates. TA is hit or miss. Many times after a disco I need to reboot just to restore my internet connection.

My resolution settings continually revert to default (1024) irrespective of whether or not I delete video8 or not (been trying at 128 as you advised, no help BTW).

I have been stuck with the same plane for about a month now. Oddly some times the loadout will change to minimum fuel and no wing load (always fly with 1/2 and DT's).

Vox is usually very good when I'm in the air. Very little warping but it has occurred.

Running the game with no av installed, av disabled or av running yields no noticeable difference in performance. Firewalls are always disabled.

There are instances where the connection looks suspicious vis-a-vis the usual effects, lag, warping of my own as seen by others, etc. But very rarely.

I had thought I had a hardware issue but have done what I can to test my network card and modem. Nothing unusual there. I have also considered a software conflict but have no idea what to do about that. I haven't installed or updated anything during the time period that coincides with the onset of this problem.

This issue pretty much came about over a few days, not weeks. I wonder if there's a spyware/Trojan/registry/whatever issue. Run the scans and don't seem to have a problem. I have tried a few registry scans and have gotten wildly conflicting outputs so I don't know what to do there. I understand messing with my registry is a dicey proposition so I've left that alone. I keep my browser cache's clear, temp and temp internet files deleted. Have a modestly populated desktop with about 24-26 processes running.

BTW, I've sent a DxDiag in the past and since this is turning into more novel than post I'll send it only if you think it's a key. But FWIW I run a dual amd 2.6 athlon, 2 gb. ram with a Nvidea 7025 ramdac with 256 mb.'s. running XP home. Seems like enough computer to get me up and around per your posted system requirements. Prior to this machine I had a single chip Athlon with far fewer resources and for a while had no issues whatsoever.

Comcast is actually pushing their own telephone service very aggressively. I've been told it's "not VOIP" but that's the most info I can wring out or their support reps. Not sure what else it would be. I have this problem continually, at any time of day except the VERY early central times. At no time in the last few weeks have I been able to start and play without this/these problem(s).

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2008, 11:08:14 AM »
Ok, you are not getting it.

The spinning clipboard is a manifestation of many, many issues that also drag alone other problems with it.  Until that is resolved, nothing else means anything.  Reason being, once you resolve that issue, you also resolve many other issues without knowing it.

The AMD patches do not always fix the problem.  When they do not, and it sounds like it is still an issue with your system, you MUST (absolutely, without a doubt, do not bother doing anything else until....) set the game to eun in "Windows 98/ME" compatibility mode.  Until you do that, nothing else is going to get accomplished.  If your computer has Vista on it, then you have no choice but to run it in "Windows 98/ME" compatibility mode.

Now, if the game is not able to save its settings, then you have something that has marked the files as "read-only".  Norton is bad about this and you cannot disable Norton.  You have to actually remove it from your computer.  It can also be caused by any number of other applications, such as anti spyware/malware programs, or any other anti-virus program. Disabling them may not fix the problem as once they are marked read-only, you have to manually reset them.  This problem can also cause the game to crash to the desktop.  We update a lot of files while the game is running.

Bottomline is you have a number of external things effecting the game and until you resolve those issues, the game will never be stable.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Thruster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2008, 11:50:49 AM »
Skuzzy, I "get It". problem is I think You may be assuming the clipboard is the issue. I'm not so sure it was even the same thing.

To repeat/rephrase.

In only one of hundreds of attempts made to log on did I see what I referred to as the "Spinning Clipboard".

After my last reinstall IIRC the clipboard appeared with a "page" rotated at a 90 deg. angle to the main CB. The colors were darkened and it was frozen. The connection dropped and I went into my folder and deleted video8. That's the only time I've seen it since January and the sticky's got me through it then.

I do not run Norton. I run McAffee and Spybot S/D. But have just reinstalled after a couple of weeks without having any Av /Spyware on my system and it did not seem to have any appreciable effect.

These issues have occurred prior to my reinstall, with or without av running. I reinstalled the game with no av/spyware installed on the comp.

As I stated I run Xp, not vista. Never have.

I had run in computability mode upon my initial  upgrade months age and found the AMD dual processor patch gave me better FR's and more reliable play so I haven't revisited that fix. I've run this system since January with little problems (comparatively) until just recently.

But I will give this one more try.

So,

Unless there's a better idea I will:

-Uninstall av and spyware AGAIN
-Rename AH2
-run in computability mode
-ReInstall AH2
-Delete previous renamed ah2 folder

Offline Amsoil21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2008, 12:30:43 PM »
yer i keep getting discoed as soon as i get in, i think lots of ppl are having same problem

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2008, 01:04:28 PM »
No matter what you do Thruster, you have to fix the read only file situation.  Do not bother running the game until that is corrected.  Just rename the HTC folder and re-install, making sure no anti-cirus or anti-anything is running.  Do not install anything else.

Run the game from a fresh installation.  Do not copy anything files from the other installation.

Amsoil, it is not a wide spread problem.  On any given day of the week, ther Internet will have problems.  There is nothing anyone can do about it.  It happens.

People who run all these anti-this and anti-that programs tend to have more troubles than anyone else.  It is the nature of the beast.  And that is putting Vista aside.  Vista just adds more problems to the mix.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese