Author Topic: LG Dare  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
LG Dare
« on: July 25, 2008, 07:14:46 PM »
Well, my old cell phone has completely taken a dump and it looks like its time for a new one. I was curious if any one here has the new LG Dare for Verizon and whats their thoughts were on it. I watched some reviews on Youtube but would like to hear an actual person's opinions on it. I know the camera is far superior to anything else currently on the US market but I was curious as to the texting capability (is it hard to get used to; not really easy to use or what) and the overall functionality of the touch screen since I know it uses pressure touch instead of the electrical sensors like the Iphone. If you had to give the phone a rating from 1 to 10, 10 being the highest 1 being the lowest what would you give it?
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Re: LG Dare
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 07:26:50 PM »
the LG I bought was the utter worst POS I have ever owned personally.... it was a flip thing, the screen cut in and out after less than 6 months, 4 weeks to send it in for repair. the speaker for the ringer and speaker phone stopped working right soon after (I never did spend the $$ and time to send it in). about 1 year in I accidentally dropped a foot or so getting out of my car for the first time seriously (I never drop my phones) and a part of the back a thin little lip chipped. Turns out that little chip stopped the battery from falling out. I spent the next year scotch taping the battery on. That "repair" even with the "insurance" was $60 and the phone had to be sent to china or whatever 8 weeks.

the last 2 months before my contract ran out I left it sit on my bedside table all day and once a day checked my voicemail / returned calls on a blank screen while holding the battery on (I used this as my main phone, I don't have a land line).

Sorry Ethan, but I will tell everyone I can how utter $%^& LG phones are. It was the worst I have ever owned. Personally I SWEAR by Nokia phones. Oh yeah the reception was HORRID, I lost signal everywhere. Nokia I have a signal everywhere, the battery lasts days at a time, and is rock solid. I baby my phone as it is all I have, and I tell anyone I can get a Nokia.

<EDIT> BTW I use it ONLY as a phone, I have a candybar type, all I care about is making and receiving calls, my work supplied HTC Tilt does all the fancy stuff for me.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 07:28:30 PM by Mustaine »
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 07:47:28 PM »
Sadly though as I am a Verizon carrier I don't have a whole lot of options besides LG other then samsung which hasn't come up with anything that really wows me lately.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 07:49:23 PM by Husky01 »
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 08:25:22 PM »
I don't know how you are stuck with one carrier, I'd suggest looking into others. if you don't want to post in general PM me where you live, city, and I'll check into other carriers with good signal there. My company uses ATT because they gave us a deal which turned out to be BS, but hey, ATT doesn't cover some major cities.

Personal Cell was with US Cellular, I was with them 9 years and left because of crappy phone choices. Yes I left great coverage and good service because of the crap phones they offered, it sometimes has to happen :aok

Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 08:33:18 PM »
I like LG products.
Every single one of them I've owned has worked flawlessly
From Cell phones to DVD players
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 08:44:42 PM »
Its kinda hard to believe but I really am stuck unless I want to pay for my own plan and coverage. Mi Papa is happy with the verizon service and hasn't ever had any problems with it. Also because of my dads company he gets 20% off Verizon stuff.
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 11:52:37 PM »
I think Im gonna make a trip up to the Verizon store tomorrow and see what the have in stock, I normally just order offline but since Ive never had a touch phone before I wanna make sure its not inconvenient or unpractical.
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 12:31:53 AM »
I am doing the same as you Husky. My two year contract is up and I am looking for a new phone from Verizon. I like Verizon because they seem to have the best plans for their price. I bought the original LG Chocolate when it came out and really liked that phone, dropped it and never had an issue. However my chocolate ended up at the bottom of a lake, luckily for me, I had insurance on it and got a replacement, the replacement was disappointing. It was a refurbished chocolate and was of lower quality than my original.
So I like LG Products overall.
I too have been looking into the Dare, I think I will wait a few months when the price goes down. I bought the Chocolate when it was brand new for the same price that the Dare is being offered for. Personally I like Samsung's touch screen phone more than the iPhone or the Dare, however Sprint's cheapest plan is $69.99 which is $30 more than what I am paying at Verizon.
I went to a store and they didn't have any on display or in stock, however at a local mall they did have some, and the sales rep was willing to let me play with one, but when he asked if they had any in stock they didn't. I will definitely get my hands on one before purchasing one.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 12:34:02 AM »
env2 looks cool.  Friend has one, likes it.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 12:38:25 AM »
I was gonna wait for the price to come down but my phone absolutely bit the dust so I don't have much of a choice to wait, luckily I get 20% so it wont cost me to much. When you where playing with the Dare in the mall how did the touch screen act was is nice and responsive or a little hard to use? Also did you play with the texting keyboard at all?
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 02:18:09 AM »
I was gonna wait for the price to come down but my phone absolutely bit the dust so I don't have much of a choice to wait, luckily I get 20% so it wont cost me to much. When you where playing with the Dare in the mall how did the touch screen act was is nice and responsive or a little hard to use? Also did you play with the texting keyboard at all?
I didn't get to mess with one because they were out of stock, I plan on going back before making a purchase.

From the videos, I don't think I would like the texting keyboard very much, I heard the Dare had sensitivity issues, but I even had issues with the ipod touch, and I have small fingers. One feature I think looks interesting about the Dare is the notepad feature, you can draw letters and numbers and it will detect what you wrote. I read that it had fast recognition so you could write a word quickly, one letter on top of the other, and it would recognize what you wrote. But like I said, I'm not going to trust it until I try it out for myself.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 05:28:11 AM »
I am doing the same as you Husky. My two year contract is up and I am looking for a new phone from Verizon. I like Verizon because they seem to have the best plans for their price. I bought the original LG Chocolate when it came out and really liked that phone, dropped it and never had an issue. However my chocolate ended up at the bottom of a lake, luckily for me, I had insurance on it and got a replacement, the replacement was disappointing. It was a refurbished chocolate and was of lower quality than my original.
So I like LG Products overall.

Too bad you couldnt retreive it.
My daughter forgot to take her Chocolate out of her pants pocket and ran it through the washing machine. Where it sat overnight.
We thought it was toast. But a friend of hers suggested removing the battery and burying it in a container of rice for a few days.

I thought it was a waste of time but I figured rice is cheap and she really wanted to try it. So I let her.

I'll be damned if it didnt work.
3 Days later she plugged the battery back in and its been working fine ever since.
That was 3 months ago.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 08:03:21 AM »
My daughter forgot to take her Chocolate out of her pants pocket and ran it through the washing machine. Where it sat overnight.
We thought it was toast. But a friend of hers suggested removing the battery and burying it in a container of rice for a few days.

I thought it was a waste of time but I figured rice is cheap and she really wanted to try it. So I let her.

3 Days later she plugged the battery back in and its been working fine ever since.
That was 3 months ago.

Here anyone who wants their salt to actually pour out when they use the salt shaker, rather than be faced with a clumpy glob of unpourable salt, puts rice in their salt shakers.

Works great.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 08:24:34 AM »
it's not the dare, but the guy i used to work for uses the verizon LG's for his tow truck drivers. he has 9 of them, and they seem fairly rugged. only one driver seems to manage to kill it on a regular basis..........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 09:58:50 AM »

That was 3 months ago.

This phone will eventually fail.  When it does, rest assured the the washing machine incident is the cuplrit.