Author Topic: Adjustment to Scoring (idea)  (Read 8485 times)

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Re: Adjustment to Scoring (idea)
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 05:29:05 PM »
Yup, if you go beat up on some bombers but only get assists you still get a ton of damage points because they take alot of damage.

Yea I know assists still add damage points and so on. I was talking proxies as in some plane you never shot bailing or augering and you getting awared the proxie. I didn't think that sort of kill added any stats at all, but I guess it does.

Still reguardless of that fact, if vulching and spawn camping wasn't rewarded it would go a long ways to weeding out ther guys who actually do get their kills by fighting. It would also give incentive to fight rather than look for the easy way.
"strafing"

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 05:30:59 PM »
If you had heard Doug and Dale speak about vulching/spawn camping, you would realize it has its place in the game and your idea is futile.

This idea wouldn't stop vulching or camping.. It just wouldn't reward people for doing it and would give some incentive for people to up at capped fields to "fight" off the cap.
"strafing"

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 05:31:04 PM »
Yea but if the score more accurately reflected skill with less manipulation from no skill kills, then maybe more people would care. At the very worst it would force vulch tards and campers to actually fight if they wanted perks or score. So it would at least give incentive not to vulch or camp which is the real reason behind the idea.

You're preaching to the choir here, I don't ever vulch or spawncamp, so it's all good to me. My cynical reply was the result of the experience of going down this path several times only to get <Rooster> blocked by those that exploit vulching and spawncamping to have a pretty rank and those apathetic to scoring because they either...

A) Suck so badly it wouldn't matter how scores were calculated they'd always rank badly in pure fighter mode. So, the fact that scores are currently not tamper-proof actually serves to insulate them from the harsh statistical reality of their suckage.

or

B) Have reached a state of spiritual Nirvana whereby they are above such mundane considerations and feel it is their duty as higher beings to disregard the entire concept of tamper-proof statistics on everyone else's behalf. Even if some would find it part of the 'fun factor' of the game just like reading the back of baseball cards is to that game...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 06:39:28 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 05:41:52 PM »
hehe "<Rooster> blocked" that's one I've never heard before..  :rofl

I do understand what you are saying, but the idea is more about not giving the incentive to do that kinda tarded stuff but rather to give an incentive to fight. The idea wouldn't stop vulching it just wouldn't reward them for it, so in short the guys that actually do care about their scores would actually have to fight in order to score well.

I just think it's a way to give an incentive to fight and help change the game for the better.
"strafing"

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 05:49:44 PM »
This idea wouldn't stop vulching or camping.. It just wouldn't reward people for doing it and would give some incentive for people to up at capped fields to "fight" off the cap.
You are missing the fighting that is incited just to create the situation where a vulch can take place (ie. vulching is one of multiple possible carrots at the end of the stick).

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 05:51:19 PM »

I just think it's a way to give an incentive to fight and help change the game for the better.

I agree with you 110%. In a few isolated situations it could be considered necessary to vulch to effect a base capture. For example, where the geography places the town close to the field and you have some persistant uppers in La7's as your goon is on the way. But, for the most part it is completely unnecessary. The thing I always found ironic is the same score dweebs that vulch for a living could get a lot more kills, assuming they had some real skill, by not vulching. When they vulch the 3-4 guys willing to fight them even at a severe disadvantage those guys usually stop upping pretty quickly. If the defenders had the 30 second "grace period" you propose, they would almost certainly keep upping for the fights. I know for a fact Delirium, Stang, Skyrock and most of their 3 entire squads would.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 05:55:27 PM »
You are missing the fighting that is incited just to create the situation where a vulch can take place (ie. vulching is one of multiple possible carrots at the end of the stick).

Look at what you just said in this way. If you take away vulching as a carrot at the end of the stick. The stick (aka the fight itself) becomes its own carrot...This is how it is for people who choose not to vulch already...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 05:57:34 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 05:58:11 PM »
Look at what you just said in this way. If you take away vulching as a carrot at the end of the stick. The stick (aka the fight itself) becomes its own carrot.
LOL, bull.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 06:03:50 PM »
And before you get it in your head to start spinning.  Keep in mind the thousands of posts I've made advocating "the fight" and "the furball" and the time I've spent teaching "how to", and my perpensity to jump on a soapbox when it comes to better gameplay.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 06:09:28 PM »
And before you get it in your head to start spinning.  Keep in mind the thousands of posts I've made advocating "the fight" and "the furball" and the time I've spent teaching "how to", and my perpensity to jump on a soapbox when it comes to better gameplay.

I'm not questioning your conviction to the game for one solitary second. But, for the sake of interesting debate and in giving Strafing his "money's worth" for his ideas I have to admit that so far your argument that vulching is a necessary component of gameplay and scoring are not compelling at all. We can just agree to disagree here or you can try to persuade us to a better understanding of that viewpoint. My intellectual curiosity would prefer you attempt to persuade us...;)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 06:12:22 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2008, 06:12:59 PM »
Just today I saw numerous occasions of guys shooting an aircraft after it was clearly shot down (spinning in no wing/tail) expressly (in my mind) to "get the kill" for more damage done.

My point is that there are more score padding activities than just spawn camping/vulching, of course spawn camping is a "new" phenom to us "oldies" who played the game without GV's (which I personally don't care for but this another whole topic).

Good Grief my english sentence construction abilities are on vacation :o
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 06:21:06 PM by Boxboy »
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2008, 06:15:31 PM »
Just today I saw numerous occasions of guys shooting an aircraft after with was clearly shot down (spinning in no wing/tail) expressly (in my mind) to "get the kill" for more damage done.

No doubt, but from a frequency and sheer volume of kills stand-point vulching and spawncamping represent an exponentially greater proportion of in-valid kills scored in the MA...

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2008, 06:26:02 PM »
Oh I am not disputing that Zaz, just commenting on "other ways" things get skewed.  To me the good pilots show themselves everyday and I don't have to check scores to know who is and who isn't a good pilot.

I have alot more respect for the guys who DON'T fly La7's, Spit XVI's, Dora 9's than I do for the ones that rack up big scores in those planes, and as for tank/flack/ground gun scores I just have no respect for that since I just don't care for that aspect of the game.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2008, 06:27:08 PM »

I don't really agree with that, maybe in the past it worked that way but not now. The way it works now days is typically the bigger hoard pushes the other cons back to the point they can start vulching. It's little more than a mass of lopsided numbers that typically leads to a vulch these days.

I pretty much do nothing but defend anymore, mostly at bases getting attacked by CV's.. (mainly because I like low alt fights) I see it time and time again, some mass hoard will up off the CV and the first thing they try to do is deack the base to start vulching. I up at vulched bases all the time and I see them get pushed back and next thing you know the vulchers are soon hiding in CV ack then they stop upping after that.

Soon as the vulch is lost the tards wont be seen again and are off to the next hoard with the numbers advantage. There is very little "sustained fighting" going on in this game these days. It's just tards that run from being part of one giant hoard to the next combined with land grabing where ever there is a undefended base.
"strafing"

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2008, 06:30:35 PM »
I don't really agree with that, maybe in the past it worked that way but not now. The way it works now days is typically the bigger hoard pushes the other cons back to the point they can start vulching. It's little more than a mass of lopsided numbers that typically leads to a vulch these days.

I pretty much do nothing but defend anymore, mostly at bases getting attacked by CV's.. (mainly because I like low alt fights) I see it time and time again, some mass hoard will up off the CV and the first thing they try to do is deack the base to start vulching. I up at vulched bases all the time and I see them get pushed back and next thing you know the vulchers are soon hiding in CV ack then they stop upping after that.

Soon as the vulch is lost the tards wont be seen again and are off to the next hoard with the numbers advantage. There is very little "sustained fighting" going on in this game these days. It's just tards that run from being part of one giant hoard to the next combined with land grabing where ever there is a undefended base.

That's exactly what happens. Vulching is no longer the *cough* "reward" *cough* for a successful protracted fight. Vulching has become a substitute for protracted fighting.