Author Topic: Arena Cap is not cool...  (Read 2832 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: Arena Cap is not cool...
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2008, 11:09:33 PM »
It occurs to me that participating on the BBS is like voting in elections... If you don't participate, you have no say in what happens at AH or if you don't vote, you can't complain who the elected official is  :rock :)

Exactly! A country (in most cases) is owned by the people that reside in it.  They own it and they get to vote.  People from an other country can complain all they want about how the US is ran for example, but they do not get to vote. 

This country (Aces High) is owned by some people (HT).  HT gets to vote.  We, as a foreigner,s can complain all we want about how this country is run, but I don't think we will get a vote. 

I think immigration is the only solution here  :lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2008, 11:14:04 PM »
Southern border what?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2008, 12:50:26 AM »
i personally think the arena cap was dumbest thing HTC ever did.... i say put it back how it used 2 b... 1 arena.... and fighter town....

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2008, 02:59:49 AM »
Hitech thanks for information Sir!.......   999<------  now goes to grocery store for eggs! its all good.... a Wonderful game!
<S>999000

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2008, 08:23:45 AM »
Before the split we had max of 750 people on line at one time.
This spring we would very often go about 1100 people online at the same time.

Before we made the change we had stopped growing.
After the change we started growing at a new record pace.

... shows that there was a need to split the arena to have more capacity, doesn't prove than adding caps is a good idea?
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2008, 08:48:58 AM »
1.  After the split, our finnish team has stopped playing in most cases. We have 2 large squads and a few smaller, we use to have nice missions and lots of fun together but thats just history...

Now I hardly see 5 finns together, arena cap limits our fun quite a lot.

2. Maps are too big now (mostly).  Old smaller maps were much more fun for everyone. Big maps are usable only if there are 400+ players onlne. (IMHO)
I am a spy!

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2008, 08:55:43 AM »
... shows that there was a need to split the arena to have more capacity

No ... that is not what he was saying.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2008, 08:57:27 AM »
1.  After the split, our finnish team has stopped playing in most cases. We have 2 large squads and a few smaller, we use to have nice missions and lots of fun together but thats just history...

Now I hardly see 5 finns together, arena cap limits our fun quite a lot.
That's a shame...
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2008, 10:13:21 AM »
I think the key is to strike a balance on the maps that allows enough players (on one side) to get together and actually accomplish something tanglible, like taking several bases in a row. From what I've seen (and I'm a relative noob), that only happens on squad nights when a group of like-minded players get together.

What I see now is a bunch of individuals scrambling all over the map in order to counter a threat from another country. That's fine, it makes for the some great furballs, but not everyone likes to operate in that environment. It also forces one side to be on the defensive so long as the other is on the offensive.

I think making the maps smaller brings everyone a little closer together...a fight is more likely to break out in a small room with 50 people in it, than a big room with 50 people. Having fewer places to go means that we can have players operating offensively AND defensively on the map, making an overall global campaign instead of isolated skirmishes at different points on the map.

Just my thought. I'm not overly keen of big maps, and the small ones have problems of their own...I think medium-sized maps are the way to go. But that's just my opinion.

J

Skunkworks AvA Researcher and
Primary Cause of Angst

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2008, 10:23:54 AM »
No ... that is not what he was saying.

agreed, that is what I was saying :)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2008, 10:34:02 AM »
agreed, that is what I was saying :)

gotcha ... :aok
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2008, 10:35:08 AM »
... shows that there was a need to split the arena to have more capacity, doesn't prove than adding caps is a good idea?

So you agree we needed different arenas. But you give no way of providing those different arenas.

I am open to any idea that will work. But the fact is no one wants to be the first one into a different arena. This you must accept. Because most peoples ideas to change the system, are only a way to make it so some one else must be the first in the arena, and not them.

HiTech

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2008, 10:38:25 AM »
Them instead of me sounds pretty reasonable to me and I'm eagerly awaiting the appropriate changes to the system  :D
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2008, 10:48:23 AM »
As a relative newcomer to the game, I'm still learning the nuances of the community and environment as a whole.

I'm a military historian by trade, and I'd love to participate in smaller maps with older, more limited aircraft that test piloting skills instead of who's got the Tempest or 262.

Personally, I like the Titanic Tuesday concept. It's cool, lots of people, lots of things to do, and several ongoing battles at one time all over the map. But that takes numbers. I understand the team balance and having a soft cap to keep some parity is not a bad idea.

I'm probably way off, but I think that increasing the population density of an arena by reducing the map size isn't a bad idea. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone complaining that an arena was too crowded aside from waiting to get in because of a cap.

In the end, it's all about targets and objectives. I think compressing a map allows that to happen, you force players to interact more closely, and it creates an enironment that allows a side to actuall push towards winning a war.

That being said, I like what you've done HiTech. Its inevitable that with this many people, everyone wants something specific. But it's your show. As for the 'them' versus 'me' debate, perhaps developing a think tank of people you've come to know, trust, etc., might not be a bad idea. It's always better to have several sets of eyes looking at a problem, as we all see things differently. I've got a video gaming background, military historian, ran an air museum for nearly a decade, and I've flown for years. I'll gladly volunteer to help out with anything that will improve the game.

Jeff
Skunkworks AvA Researcher and
Primary Cause of Angst

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2008, 10:49:12 AM »
So you agree we needed different arenas. But you give no way of providing those different arenas.

I am open to any idea that will work. But the fact is no one wants to be the first one into a different arena. This you must accept. Because most peoples ideas to change the system, are only a way to make it so some one else must be the first in the arena, and not them.

HiTech

Because we want to be at the fight. Not sit in an empty arena and fight our selves. and watch the milk runners horde.what would be the point in this? We play to fight.

I think arena caps should be raised.Set it something like (example) 500. That would give us the choice of what arena we wanted to be in and not the system choose for us.
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14