Author Topic: This Week - FinRus  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
Re: This Week - FinRus
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 06:59:55 PM »
Great post Venom!  My point exactly.

Chili.  Don't blame base capture for hoing, ramming, vultching etc.  The AVA has pretty much taken base capture out of play.  Have all the ills you describe gone away?  Of course not, are just part of the game.

Base capture promotes teamwork, puts context to the fight, adds variety, gives ALL player types something to do.  There is a reason why Hitech has it in his game, it fuels gameplay.
JG11

Vater

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 02:46:29 AM »
Vater,

Either you miss my point or you are stuck on your own.  I say to each his own.  Anyhow, if I need to spell it out for you again...... :rolleyes:

Tell me and every other pilot who has defended against a NOE raid,  that vulching, HOing, Ganging, or Ramming does not increase, just to insure the desired result = one base captured  :o

Tell me that NOE (Nap Of Earth) is not flown to avoid detection by defending fighters. 

Tell me how this is essential to the main theme of this Arena. 

I believe that Fork, TheBug and a few others have come up with the answers that give us all what we have been asking for.  I will never buy in to your claim that base capture is necessary for teamwork to occur.  I should stand clear when I state that base capture of airfields is a one sided affair.

You and your buddies have loads of fun knocking out buildings, ack, vehicle hangar and then proceed to take the most vicious stand over that airfield to prevent any uppers until all of your comrade's troops have entered the maproom.  Defenders' options are 1. Up from a distant field fly the distance to get to a battle that will most likely be over before arrival, or 2.  Up from a capped field and give up multiple easy vulch kills to invading force in hopes of miraculously killing troops (how much fun is that?) 

Capturing Ports, Fleets and Vehicle Bases way more interesting  :aok  Fork is really on to something.  Vater, if you really are into base capture for all its glory then enough places to do that.  But if you are looking for team work and "meaningful" gameplay, I suggest that we be more flexible in what we are demanding.

I would like to see more of these:  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,234412.0.html
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 02:59:03 AM by Chilli »

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 09:01:35 AM »
Chili, you talk yourself into circles.  Enjoy the ride.
JG11

Vater

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 10:51:52 AM »
Added the D.  Don't know if we have a Bolshevik skin for it.  If not, spread the word to our skilled skinners please.

- oldman

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,239727.0.html
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2008, 03:21:05 PM »
Vater   :rofl

I used to see you in around.  Is it me or the time that I fly?  Or do you even fly AvA?  Only asking, because lately a lot of changes and new experimental setups have been put in place.  The AvA is moving on, evolving and yes getting better. :salute  If someone pops in here and there and has no idea of what is going on, they resort to old habits, like hording for a base capture.

You want to say that I talk in circles, because I do not object to base capture where it doesn't resemble clubbing baby seals.  No that is not a circle you are looking at it's a globe. :D  There are other folks besides myself and you on it, too. 

I don't know about anyone else that plays the AvA arena, but I go there to get away from the MA baby seal bashing hordes. By the way I bash with the best of them - and will HO, vulch, and gang (suppress), but I feel much more fulfilled when I have learned a new ACM skill and applied it successfully.  In the AvA their are no ENY or perk point limits, and score means nothing.  It is about the respect you earn from skillful flight.  In this realm, Vater, as I recall you have earned my greatest respect. :salute :salute

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2008, 04:18:59 PM »
 :salute Chili
JG11

Vater

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2008, 04:46:35 PM »

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »
Most excellent diggit.  Will look to see if they're online.

- oldman

Just got in with this skin update.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline OldBull

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2008, 08:41:09 PM »
Sunday night Aug 3, just dropped in to check on AVA for the first time in over a week, Zero pilots logged on, BTW the pond scum is a brillant shade of green.
 Maj OldBull
XO Avengers
OldBull
XO ~Avengers~

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2008, 07:20:35 AM »
Sunday night Aug 3, just dropped in to check on AVA for the first time in over a week, Zero pilots logged on, BTW the pond scum is a brillant shade of green.
 Maj OldBull
XO Avengers

I think it has as much to do with the setup as it does anything else.

The Finn/Russ setup isn't the crowd pleaser it once was, the German airframes are much more kick donut than they once were. Making flying the Russian side a week long marathon of frustration, unless you're one of the uber pilots, which I'm not.The Japan setup had the Allies with no radar for most of the week, killing any reason to do anything but furball near a CV.

If you'll remember correctly the Battle Of Aces was empty at the end too. The WAR ONLY isn't the answer the FURBALL ONLY isn't the answer. Enabling both to be done at the same time would probably keep the arena fresh. Hardliners insisting on their way only on both sides of the issue are what is leading to an empty arena.

The best idea I've seen yet to try and give the best of both worlds is TheBug's campaign Series, but it seems to be ignored for some reason.

Just my opinion.  :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 07:39:23 AM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline OldBull

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2008, 11:56:39 AM »
What I remember about the last week of The Battle of Aces War was that it was so often interefered with and reset and required a quorum to begin the fight that any who had intrest eventually lost it while waiting on others to log on to begin the battle.
 From what I can remember about Bugs proposal was that we felt it had good possibilities and promise, why not try it, there certainally is nothing going on in there now.
Maj OldBull
XO Avengers
OldBull
XO ~Avengers~

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2008, 01:16:36 PM »
What I remember about the last week of The Battle of Aces War was that it was so often interefered with and reset and required a quorum to begin the fight that any who had intrest eventually lost it while waiting on others to log on to begin the battle.

Exactly, that's the same problem as now, nobody in there. Besides you don't need a quorum to fight when you have an opponant to fight. Low numbers are low numbers. There are quite a few people that enjoy both the war aspect and the furballing, but lose interest after a week or so when your just stuck with one choice all the time.  I agree with you on Bugs ideas Old Bull. I'd like to try a FIGHTING WAR, the DODGING WAR was boring. Plus like Venom has mentioned I'd like to see it go without having side CO's, simplifying, and streamlining things a bit.
<S>

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 01:20:42 PM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline lutrel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2008, 01:20:02 PM »
I second my older than wise XO's view on the matter; lets give the bug campain a shot, it would beat the hell out of the last week in the AvA.
Lutrel AkA "Lut"
CO ~Avengers~

Offline OldBull

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2008, 11:48:44 AM »
Why thank you Lut, I am honored... uh hey wait a minute "older that wise"... I think I resent that statement or maybe it's represent that statement, I just ain't sure, one thing is for sure though... gettin old ain't for sissies.
 Maj OldBull
 XO.. uh OIC.. what the hell am I Lut, I ferget
OldBull
XO ~Avengers~