Author Topic: Historical/classic planes  (Read 675 times)

Offline SKYGUNS

• Nickel Member
Historical/classic planes
« on: July 29, 2008, 02:54:51 AM »
I'm getting tired of going to Axis and Allies or FSO and be given an aircraft and be told to pretend its a different aircraft.

EX.

We don't have a JU52 so pretend the C47 is one
We don't have a Betty so pretend the ju88 is one
We don't have a B29 so pretend the b24 is one

Each of these aircraft played a historical role and deserves to be in the game.
I understand these aircraft already been wished for, Sort of more of a comment than a request...

Skyguns

« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 03:47:15 AM by SKYGUNS »

Offline ian5440

• Nickel Member
      • http://rollingthunder.spruz.com/main.asp
Re: Historical/classic planes
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 03:41:22 AM »
I'm getting tired of going to Axis and Allies or FSO and be given an aircraft and be told to pretend its a different aircraft.

EX.

We don't have a JU52 so pretend the C47 is one
We don't have a Betty so pretend the ju88 is one
We don't have a B29 so pretend the b24 is one

Each of these aircraft played a historical role and deserves to be in the game.
I understand these aircraft already been wished for, Sort more of a comment than a request...

Skyguns

well i def think we should have they betty but the JU52 seems a little redundant

and the whole B29 subkect is just too much to comprehend now  :P
~~~~~~Hellkitty Dweeb~~~~~~
~~~~~~Wildcat Dweeb~~~~~~~

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 05:52:06 AM »
Like I said before, no-one will climb to 30K+ just to bomb something.  Most bombing will be at 7-15k, B-29 will only be a big easy target.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:09:57 AM »
it would have the best defensive armermane of any plane in the game
snowey flying since tour 78

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:21:08 AM »
Like I said before, no-one will climb to 30K+ just to bomb something.  Most bombing will be at 7-15k, B-29 will only be a big easy target.

No one, huh?  Done it myself.  Others have too. 

Offline wooly15

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 09:04:56 AM »

Perk those puppies and I guarantee you will see it quite a bit.

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 09:17:38 AM »
it would have the best defensive armermane of any plane in the game

But the worst visability for that defensive armament. They didn't have it like any other WW2 bomber, you had to look out a little glass bubble to shoot. Poor visability I assume would make it very hard for someone to get a bead on you if you're attacking a B-29. Not to mention the frequent engine fires on it.
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 10:24:43 AM »
B-29s had excellent defensive capabilities, something that would tie into the game perfectly. The gunners operated from remote positions. AH could take that 1/2 step further by having the player gunner link weapons systems, much the same way the real B-29 could. In other words, instead of having a single gun mount trained on a target, the computing system linked to all weapons that could be brought to bear on the target...so, let's say you're attacking a B-29 from level altitude, 45 degrees off the tail, from the 4 or 7 o'clock position. The top turret, side turret, bottom turret, and tail turret could ALL be brought to bear on the target, in the same way the 4 gunners on the real B-29 would have historically. Then you have .50s and a 20mm in the tail. Makes killing B-29s a definite challenge.

So it carries more than a B-24/B-17/Lanc, and higher and faster. I've taken B-17s and B-24s up to those altitudes. It's the only way to ensure you're not going be attacked by dozens of players at once. Make it a perk bomber, give it the ability (if launched from the rear-most bases) to spawn at 10K to shorten flight times. It's still going to take that player time to fly across the map. Pre-burn the fuel if you spawn at altitude. Bombing from 30K also has disadvantages, including accuracy, so that effectively negates it being an uber-weapon in the hands of most players. Besides, most B-29 operations were done from lower altitudes after the USAAF realized the accuracy was terrible from anything higher than 30K. This also opens up the possibility of having some addition aircraft to compliment the B-29, Nicks, Jacks, and the Ta-152 in the game would finally have something worth climbing up to 30k for.

J
Skunkworks AvA Researcher and
Primary Cause of Angst

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 10:41:11 AM »
I absolutely agree.  In fact, I'm not participating in Rangoon because of the substitutes. :mad:  The CM staff says substitutes are a fact of life in AH, but that's only because they insist on them and choose matchups for which we don't have the planeset.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline SKYGUNS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 02:01:49 PM »
You guys are a bit off topic....

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 03:27:50 PM »
How is it off topic? You complain that we don't have a B-29... I justify the reasoning for having a B-29, supporting your original commentary, and then you say we're off topic?

A squeakin' session isn't going to get you results. A logical, intelligent dialog, supporting your wants and desires, and garnering support from your fellow players, will.

Jeff
Primary Cause of Angst

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 03:31:39 PM »
well i def think we should have they betty but the JU52 seems a little redundant
How is the Ju52 redundant? We have NO Axis transports.
No.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
B-29s had excellent defensive capabilities, something that would tie into the game perfectly. The gunners operated from remote positions. AH could take that 1/2 step further by having the player gunner link weapons systems, much the same way the real B-29 could. In other words, instead of having a single gun mount trained on a target, the computing system linked to all weapons that could be brought to bear on the target...so, let's say you're attacking a B-29 from level altitude, 45 degrees off the tail, from the 4 or 7 o'clock position. The top turret, side turret, bottom turret, and tail turret could ALL be brought to bear on the target, in the same way the 4 gunners on the real B-29 would have historically. Then you have .50s and a 20mm in the tail. Makes killing B-29s a definite challenge.

So it carries more than a B-24/B-17/Lanc, and higher and faster. I've taken B-17s and B-24s up to those altitudes. It's the only way to ensure you're not going be attacked by dozens of players at once. Make it a perk bomber, give it the ability (if launched from the rear-most bases) to spawn at 10K to shorten flight times. It's still going to take that player time to fly across the map. Pre-burn the fuel if you spawn at altitude. Bombing from 30K also has disadvantages, including accuracy, so that effectively negates it being an uber-weapon in the hands of most players. Besides, most B-29 operations were done from lower altitudes after the USAAF realized the accuracy was terrible from anything higher than 30K. This also opens up the possibility of having some addition aircraft to compliment the B-29, Nicks, Jacks, and the Ta-152 in the game would finally have something worth climbing up to 30k for.

J

Take the guns off and fly it at night...er...wait!
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 04:04:45 PM »
Most bombing will be at 7-15k, B-29 will only be a big easy target.

I see bombers at 20K+ all the time, even Lancaster's. And the whole engine fire thing doesn't really work as an excuse here, since HTC doesn't coad random damage and I believe it has been said before that he won't. If you look into it some, you'll notice a lot of planes or vehicles we have had mechanical issues during WWII.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 05:38:48 PM »
The B-29s engine troubles came from the amount of magnesium used in the engines, and the amount of time the aircraft spent on the ground with the engines running. When the problem was brought to Wright Aero, they revamped the R3350 and pretty much solved the problem by the time the B-29 force was up to strength. Did it continue to happen? Certainly, but as engines were replaced through general maintenance, the occurances dropped dramatically. The famous photo of the groundcrewman standing under the B-29 wing has given the engines a bad rep. In fact, it was pretty much standard procedure during the startup of any aircraft, especially heavies.

The R-3350 and -3350 turbocompound went on to become one of the most reliable radial engines ever produced, used on all sorts of aircraft including the Lockheed Constellation and Super Connies.

J
Primary Cause of Angst