Author Topic: The most over-rated aircraft in the hangar  (Read 7247 times)

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
Re: The most over-rated aircraft in the hangar
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2008, 11:21:45 AM »
threads like this always inevitably turn into the following..

someone says:

"suchinsuch plane is overrated, its good but not as great as many think..."

then of course some chest thumper chimes in

"anytime you wanna see what suchinsuch plane is capable of, give me a call" or something to that effect, objectivity will always give way to ego.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2008, 11:23:12 AM »
P.S. at least one person took this thread to be about whether or not some aircraft are over-modeled, i.e. perform better than their real-world counterpart.

Not over-modeled, the word used was "over-rated".   Over-rated.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2008, 11:25:55 AM »
Anytime you wish to see what an La7 is capable of......give me a call.   

Can I DA you again in your La-7 Karaya? Last time it was a 50-50 fight :D

(I wanna try the P-39 up against an actual Experienced La-7 pilot, so far, all I've gotten were 2 turn kills :(  )
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2008, 11:30:26 AM »
Can I DA you again in your La-7 Karaya? Last time it was a 50-50 fight :D

(I wanna try the P-39 up against an actual Experienced La-7 pilot, so far, all I've gotten were 2 turn kills :(  )

Anytime.   Again, ask JimBeam who was silent, but laughing at me set you up on the first 2 fights.   Just remember you typing "LOL" when I said I was in a Spit 1 and you were in the tower before the completion of your 1st turn after the merge.    P-39's = Easy meat.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2008, 11:38:05 AM »
Not over-modeled, the word used was "over-rated".   Over-rated.

To put my 2 cents in and help my friend Karaya here..the fact is that there is NOT an overrated plane in this game.
Tours 86 - 296

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2008, 11:43:34 AM »
Im overmodled
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2008, 11:47:37 AM »
Anytime.   Again, ask JimBeam who was silent, but laughing at me set you up on the first 2 fights.   Just remember you typing "LOL" when I said I was in a Spit 1 and you were in the tower before the completion of your 1st turn after the merge.    P-39's = Easy meat.   

I think last time, it was in Hurri 2cs and A6Ms... Not P-39s. You might mistake me for someone else :D :rock
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2008, 11:57:49 AM »
Im overmodled

i was thinking overinflated but oh well  :D
Tours 86 - 296

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2008, 12:01:27 PM »
Nope, just overmodled..
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2008, 12:51:49 PM »
Think about it.  Asking whether or not some aircraft are over rated is not the same debate over whether it's the pilot or the plane.  It's a question about the accuracy of human perception and judgement.

Unfortunately, most players base their opinion on the quality of a certain plane on how it performs from how they fly that plane.   

Player A flies a P-51D and gets shot down on the first turn after the merge by a plane Player A percieves to be of lesser quality.  This then makes Player A think, "WTF!  I see all this crap on the boards about perking the P-51D and all these people landing kills and I get killed by a Ju-87!  This plane sucks!".  Player A then walks away with the percieved notion that the P-51D is over rated from his experience.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2008, 12:53:46 PM »
which leads me to my next statement......There is NO overrated fighter in this ame, PERIOD.  Just overrated pilots

Unfortunately, most players base their opinion on the quality of a certain plane on how it performs from how they fly that plane.  

Player A flies a P-51D and gets shot down on the first turn after the merge by a plane Player A percieves to be of lesser quality.  This then makes Player A think, "WTF!  I see all this crap on the boards about perking the P-51D and all these people landing kills and I get killed by a Ju-87!  This plane sucks!".  Player A then walks away with the percieved notion that the P-51D is over rated from his experience.

ack-ack

Quoted for truth
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2008, 01:02:47 PM »
I think last time, it was in Hurri 2cs and A6Ms... Not P-39s. You might mistake me for someone else :D :rock

I'm not mistaking anything.   You can change your in game ID as many times as you want 1plus, but the person behind the name, never changes.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »
I disagree with the notion that there are no over-rated planes.  I firmly believe that the spit14 is over-rated in AH because i don't believe it's perk cost is justified.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2008, 01:07:07 PM »
I disagree with the notion that there are no over-rated planes.  I firmly believe that the spit14 is over-rated in AH because i don't believe it's perk cost is justified.

how so...that thing is insane!!!  ever taken it up high?  It's like super-duper fast and maneuvers fairly well......but then again...it all depends on one thing....the pilot
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2008, 01:15:53 PM »

ack-ack

I have to agree with this.

You really can't separate the plane/pilot dynamic. As I stated in my thread with this as the topic. The hardcoded data that makes up our cartoon planes only defines the outermost limits in terms of absolutes values (climbrate, turn-rate, speed etc). The only way you could possibly compare that objectively without the player dynamic involved would be a resource like Donzo's charts or the ones HTC provides. Once you add the player to the dynamic to the equation, purely objective comparison is actually impossible. Each person is incredibly unique in every way imaginable. That uniqueness injected into the cartoon plane's hardcoded parameters creates a practically infinite combination of results across the whole spectrum of the plane's core attributes.

Just as a basic example to build on what AKAK said...

I know two fabulous P51 pilots, they both get more than I could dream of getting out of that bird. But, the catch, and the most important thing is, they both fly the P51 in a completely and utterly different fashion. They both fly it beautifully, in a way that makes perfect sense to them personally, but to an outside observer there's very little in common with either except they are both extremely efficient killers. Now,  if I am comparing the P51 to another plane like the Fw190D9,  how would I do that objectively? I would have to try to find someone in the Fw190D9 that flew with the exact same mindset and profiency as one of those P51 pilots...Given the infinite uniqueness of the human element, that's completely impossible...You can't compare planes in absolute terms beyond what could be derived statistically from an Excel spreadsheet comprised of raw data and charts...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 02:07:11 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc