Author Topic: Pelosi blocks offshore drilling  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
Pelosi blocks offshore drilling
« on: August 01, 2008, 11:58:11 AM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/31/MNSH122TA3.DTL&feed=rss.bayarea

Man OH Man...this women just doesn't get it. What a disgrace!! I can't even stand looking at her.
See Rule# 5 on just about every thread!

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Re: Pelosi blocks offshore drilling
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 12:06:24 PM »
"But Pelosi, who has opposed offshore drilling throughout her two decades in Congress, insists opening new areas to drilling won't lower gas prices in the short term."

That's the general problem with Congress.  They only think about the short-term and what will/will not help themselves get re-elected.  We need a federal government that can think long-term beyond their own term in office.

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 12:15:01 PM »
Dumb squeak

Offline DYNAMITE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.texasaircav.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 12:18:28 PM »
we don't have the refining capacity for all that oil anyway... so when they say short term... they mean it will take years before this will have a positive effect on pricing anyway.  This is a wedge issue that is meaningless. 

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 12:28:03 PM »
Yeah, we don't have the refining capabilities for the 80-some billion barrels to be pumped. You know, cause we're gonna refine every barrel tomorrow.  :rolleyes:

We need to be self-sufficient oil producers. We need to STOP refining and buying from the world oil market. We can do this by drilling and pumping our own resources which will drop the price of gasoline in the next five years. Then, the demorat congress can implement their new taxes on gasoline and we'll still pay 4 bucks a gallon.

I'm glad our government cares about whats best for us. I sure doubt I could survive otherwise.
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 12:30:27 PM »
Oil companies have been blocking alternatively fueled vehicles for years, not investing in refineries, and raking in unthinkable profits.  Do you really think drilling off-shore is going to stop them from doing the same for as long as they are allowed to do so?  Since Katrina, some knobsuckers have been just raking in the loot at US citizens cost.

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Stage1

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 12:32:09 PM »
Yeah, we don't have the refining capabilities for the 80-some billion barrels to be pumped. You know, cause we're gonna refine every barrel tomorrow.  :rolleyes:

We need to be self-sufficient oil producers. We need to STOP refining and buying from the world oil market. We can do this by drilling and pumping our own resources which will drop the price of gasoline in the next five years. Then, the demorat congress can implement their new taxes on gasoline and we'll still pay 4 bucks a gallon.

I'm glad our government cares about whats best for us. I sure doubt I could survive otherwise.

This is right on the money!!!!   
If it can't get there on it's own, leave it at home!!

Buick GS, Fast with Class!!  www.V8buick.com

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 12:34:53 PM »
Pelosi could best save the planet by dropping off of it, preferably soon.

No new areas exploited since 87, no new refineries since then as well. Any wonder why there is a reliance on foreign oil? If this keeps up we'll no longer be an industrialized planet, just a subsistence farming one if the planet keeps getting "saved" like that.

Maintain the current level of industrialization with more oil sources, open the door to new, not stop gap technology for at least fuel purposes, and get on with it. Slamming the door and doing nothing else is counter productive.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Stage1

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 12:36:58 PM »
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
If it can't get there on it's own, leave it at home!!

Buick GS, Fast with Class!!  www.V8buick.com

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 12:42:34 PM »
So we can't refine it, but we can sell it to other country's that can....flood the market
Prices go down!! Oil and Diamonds are one in the same, Diamonds are plentiful
But they just hold supply back to keep prices high.
See Rule# 5 on just about every thread!

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 12:43:56 PM »
Oil companies have been blocking alternatively fueled vehicles for years, not investing in refineries, and raking in unthinkable profits.  Do you really think drilling off-shore is going to stop them from doing the same for as long as they are allowed to do so?  Since Katrina, some knobsuckers have been just raking in the loot at US citizens cost.

Have you ever compared what the federal gov. rakes in on taxes per gallon of gas to what the big bad oil companies do on the same gallon of gas?

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 12:46:05 PM »
"But Pelosi, who has opposed offshore drilling throughout her two decades in Congress, insists opening new areas to drilling won't lower gas prices in the short term."

That's the general problem with Congress.  They only think about the short-term and what will/will not help themselves get re-elected.  We need a federal government that can think long-term beyond their own term in office.

2 words
TERM LIMITS
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 12:47:15 PM »

agree.

Unfortunately, Pelosi is not the problem.  When you let greedy scumbags determine your livelyhood, do you think they are gonna have your best interest at heart?  No, they are going to take everything they can from you allowable by law.  We should have went away from fossil fuel years ago.

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 12:48:21 PM »
Just a thought. Since so few moved back to NO, that seems a prime location for the first new refinery in about 20 years. There is already a large oil infrastructure there now, primarily natural gas at this time, but that could be expanded. It's a start.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 12:48:43 PM »
It doesn't really matter if we let them drill offshore or not. We don't (not can't) refine what we have now. We don't because when you're making record profits, there's no reason to go to the huge expense of offshore drilling, just to make some whining consumers' happy. Especially when your lobbyists' are cheaper to keep congress off your back. In turn, Congress keeps' the American people off of the Oil company's back. Of course, the American people are the whining consumers. You see, even if congress ok's things like offshore drilling, or more refinery's, It's still up to the Oil company's to build/drill there. And even if they do, they are the one's to determine whether or not to produce the new assets'. I imagine they will, in time...but only when their other fields' run dry, and they absolutely have to. They like the prices' where they are.