Author Topic: Pelosi blocks offshore drilling  (Read 1992 times)

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Re: Pelosi blocks offshore drilling
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 12:50:30 PM »
Have you ever compared what the federal gov. rakes in on taxes per gallon of gas to what the big bad oil companies do on the same gallon of gas?
talk that somewhere else. Oil companies do not improve my roads, they do not take care of the weak and elderly, they do not support an army to keep my country safe, they do not seek to improve the lives of me or my children or my grandchildren, they only want to rape me.  

Exxon-mobile 12 billion in profits in 3 months. :rolleyes:

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 12:51:34 PM »
Have you ever compared what the federal gov. rakes in on taxes per gallon of gas to what the big bad oil companies do on the same gallon of gas?

They are only obligated to show those numbers to the IRS and themselves, Donzo. Yes, the gov't. likes increased consumption as well. You'll never truly know their profit per refined gallon, though, unless you work in a Chevron/Texaco or Shell/Mobil head office.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 12:52:22 PM »
we don't have the refining capacity for all that oil anyway... so when they say short term... they mean it will take years before this will have a positive effect on pricing anyway.  This is a wedge issue that is meaningless. 

WELL, HEREIN LIES PART OF THE PROBLEM i've been talking about for a few years now.

oil companies, and power companies, seem to do the same thing. they get paid...sometimes a fair price......for the services they render. no one can possibly have a problem with that. they make a profit too. again, no possible problems. that's what we're all in business for.

the problem, is that they seem to never invest in expanding their capacity, or improving their services with some of those profits. had the oil companies been looking to the future, they'd have seen that they may want to add a refinery or two. same for the power companies.

they more than had the means to do it all along. now that we/they're in this crunch, all anyone can do is to say it won't do any good now.

so it's obvious, they STILL don;t look down the road. what about 10 years from now when the refinery is producing..and more effeciently than the old ones? or that new power plant that's preventing the rolling blackouts?

sometimes it makes ya wonder how the deciding powers in these companies got to their positions as it is.

top it off with the fact that investing 10 years ago would have increased todays profits for them.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 12:52:44 PM »
It doesn't really matter if we let them drill offshore or not. We don't (not can't) refine what we have now. We don't because when you're making record profits, there's no reason to go to the huge expense of offshore drilling, just to make some whining consumers' happy. Especially when your lobbyists' are cheaper to keep congress off your back. In turn, Congress keeps' the American people off of the Oil company's back. Of course, the American people are the whining consumers. You see, even if congress ok's things like offshore drilling, or more refinery's, It's still up to the Oil company's to build/drill there. And even if they do, they are the one's to determine whether or not to produce the new assets'. I imagine they will, in time...but only when their other fields' run dry, and they absolutely have to. They like the prices' where they are.

Ok I'm starting up a new oil company...any investers out there???   :lol
See Rule# 5 on just about every thread!

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 12:55:15 PM »
talk that somewhere else. Oil companies do not improve my roads, they do not take care of the weak and elderly, they do not support an army to keep my country safe, they do not seek to improve the lives of me or my children or my grandchildren, they only want to rape me.  

If that's the way you really feel then stop buying gas.  And I'm not being sarcastic here.

If they are so evil, don't send them 1 penny more of your money.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 12:59:29 PM »

I thought the purpose of the taxes the federal gov was to improve roads and bridges.  You think it is supposed to go toward that other stuff, too?  :confused: 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 01:02:06 PM by Donzo »

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 01:02:26 PM »
we don't have the refining capacity for all that oil anyway... so when they say short term... they mean it will take years before this will have a positive effect on pricing anyway.  This is a wedge issue that is meaningless. 
Ever hear of a speculator? If they thought for one second we'd start off shore drilling the price of crude would drop immediately. Hows that for short term.
See Rule #4

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 01:05:11 PM »
Check out the first chart and first table on this site: http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/1139.html

It seems that total taxes on gas have by far out weighed total profits by oil companies since around 1981.

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 01:08:13 PM »
Ever hear of a speculator? If they thought for one second we'd start off shore drilling the price of crude would drop immediately. Hows that for short term.

Right!! Its been said that just the talk of it has made the price go down!! And its going down.
See Rule# 5 on just about every thread!

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 01:10:28 PM »
Just think about what happened to the price of onions when it became illegal to speculate on them back in 1958.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 01:11:51 PM »

Ok I'm starting up a new oil company...any investers out there???   :lol

Are you choosing your lobbyist to congress from the O'club???  :O

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 01:14:54 PM »
Lets use everyone elses oil up first, then when we have the only oil left we can do what Americans do best......Gloat and flip the rest of this crummy world the bird :D
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 01:15:46 PM »

That's true, Bronk; but if those speculator's are wrong, then the price shoots' even higher. Look at what happened to speculating in the real estate market during the late troubles' in that market...

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2008, 01:17:21 PM »
Here's the real reason: "She believes a vote would only help the GOP blame Democrats for high gas prices"

Pretty much the same reason Obama gave for refusing to acknowledge the "surge" in Iraq was a good idea.

These two democrats are typical of politicans who care only about their personal and their parties power. They don't give a rat's bellybutton about what's good for the future of Americans. We truly deserve what we get. Maybe when gas hits $10/gal people will begin to wake up.  
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2008, 01:17:35 PM »
I have a ton of my earnings wrapped up in oil companies and you should too. There is a lot of bad information out there. The oil companies dont build new refineries because they expand the ones they have to process the ever increasing demand and they do this all the time. If they didnt then the price of gas would be triple what it is now. Otherwise your right about pelosi and her crowd. If you put her next to a goose and tested for brains the goose would win.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.