Author Topic: A look at our game, a suggestion  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: A look at our game, a suggestion
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2008, 02:41:52 PM »
The commercials Hitech runs imply otherwise.

I don't know what his churn rate is but my bet
is that many new players are disappointed once they
find out that this isn't a historical sim.

You should ask HiTech yourself and see what he says.  He'll be the first to tell you that this isn't 1) a historical sim 2) this isn't a sim 3) this isn't a game to recreate World War II. 

Go ahead, I dare you to ask him.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline 96Delta

• Nickel Member
      • Loose Cannons Alliance (LCA)  "Realize Your Potential"
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2008, 03:18:15 PM »
You should ask HiTech yourself and see what he says.  He'll be the first to tell you that this isn't 1) a historical sim 2) this isn't a sim 3) this isn't a game to recreate World War II. 

ack-ack

nvm

To be sure you are going to Heaven when you die  CLICK HERE.

Offline zarkov

• Copper Member
      • http://N/A
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2008, 09:10:27 AM »
Well, Brand X tried it and for a while, numbers were pretty good.

The problem was that after a while, people began noticing how unbalanced the plane sets were.  And since the gameplay was based on bombing bases to close them, the plane set imbalance led to a lot of frustration.

A bigger problem is that, as any student of WWII will tell you, the Axis had NO CHANCE OF WINNING THE WAR.  If you look at any board wargame based on WWII, you will see that they get around this, using a variety of cheats.

1)  They use victory points to judge who wins...so you could be the Axis and still WIN even if you lose the war if you do better than the historical Axis.  This...doesn't feel right.

2)  They assume that the Axis will get all the nifty secret weapons that they were working on...but for some odd reason, the Allies never get the A-bomb.

3)  They end the game before the actual end of the war, i.e. usually the point in the war when the tide began turning against the Axis.

None of these cheats feels right.  But they're necessary because the only time the Axis really had a chance to "win" was before the shooting actually started, i.e. they could've "won" had they just rattled their sabers and bluffed more and more concessions out of the free world.  And even then, it's doubtful how long their "wins" would've lasted, especially in the case of Nazi Germany, which depended a lot on a government controlled economy in order to keep inflation under control and artificially keep the standard of living for the average German high; the whole house of cards would've eventually collapsed.

Another option is to try to design a game with "WWII flavor" but not totally like WWII (in order to address the game balance issues)...well, you end up with something like WWII Online.

Be careful what you ask for...you just might get everything you wanted and it may not be to your liking.

Offline 1epic1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2008, 10:37:01 AM »

ack-ack

So what your saying is that, we have a simulator type of technology here (because the planes are made around real life data) with WWII models  and countries at war and this isnt supposed to recreate WWII? have you ever heard of CT? thats EXACTLY what its doing, but god knows that that will never come

Offline 1epic1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2008, 10:43:40 AM »
Well, Brand X tried it and for a while, numbers were pretty good.

The problem was that after a while, people began noticing how unbalanced the plane sets were.  And since the gameplay was based on bombing bases to close them, the plane set imbalance led to a lot of frustration.

A bigger problem is that, as any student of WWII will tell you, the Axis had NO CHANCE OF WINNING THE WAR.  If you look at any board wargame based on WWII, you will see that they get around this, using a variety of cheats.

1)  They use victory points to judge who wins...so you could be the Axis and still WIN even if you lose the war if you do better than the historical Axis.  This...doesn't feel right.

2)  They assume that the Axis will get all the nifty secret weapons that they were working on...but for some odd reason, the Allies never get the A-bomb.

3)  They end the game before the actual end of the war, i.e. usually the point in the war when the tide began turning against the Axis.

None of these cheats feels right.  But they're necessary because the only time the Axis really had a chance to "win" was before the shooting actually started, i.e. they could've "won" had they just rattled their sabers and bluffed more and more concessions out of the free world.  And even then, it's doubtful how long their "wins" would've lasted, especially in the case of Nazi Germany, which depended a lot on a government controlled economy in order to keep inflation under control and artificially keep the standard of living for the average German high; the whole house of cards would've eventually collapsed.

Another option is to try to design a game with "WWII flavor" but not totally like WWII (in order to address the game balance issues)...well, you end up with something like WWII Online.

Be careful what you ask for...you just might get everything you wanted and it may not be to your liking.

thats is not true at all, the germans lost mainly because of their commanders. Germany had the technology to win, but however Higher Command decided to use them ineffectivley and at the wrong times and places. It is totally possiable for Germany to win with what it had. And there is nothing wrong with WWII Online

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2008, 11:00:34 AM »
If you want historical combat, come to the AVA during prime-time hours.  I don't fly so often during prime-time, but I relish every opportunity to fight in the AVA.  Giving your time and support to the AVA is the only way you can influence the game in the direction you want to see it go.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2008, 01:14:03 PM »
The maps do need improvement tho.  Every single map is only different in topology. All the tiles are the exact same thing.. In the MA at least.  It would substract nothing from what the MA is meant to be to have some WWII-flavored texture variety.

qft
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2008, 02:09:48 PM »

And there is nothing wrong with WWII Online
Gee Lan, thats not what you said on your 1st shade when you came back from WWIIonline.
Let me refresh your short memory.

Im coming back to aces high after a 4 or 5 month break, i went to wwii online and i found real quick that you cant have 10,000 people on one server and not expect lag. OMG 3-5 second lag, plus so many bugs, this game is way more stable and has nothing to fear of WWII online.

Here is a link to the locked thread.http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,177269.0.html
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 02:16:58 PM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline 1epic1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2008, 04:43:37 PM »
Gee Lan, thats not what you said on your 1st shade when you came back from WWIIonline.
Let me refresh your short memory.

Here is a link to the locked thread.http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,177269.0.html

i mean in the sense that having an idea like WWII Online isnt bad

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2008, 05:34:38 AM »

ack-ack

That's probably true,... BUT, to say that then make every aspect about both Sim and WII everything about the "game" is sorta contradictory in the most elementary form. IMO it's actually all of the above. To label it just creates a single mindset (smaller crowd)....IMO. How would CT be explained, not about WWII?

If it's not just about WWII lets get a Korea Arena with F-86s and Migs. or Vietnam <shrug> <snork!> <runs>
Animl (from the ashes of Air Warrior nation) http://home.comcast.net/~animl/

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2008, 08:12:36 AM »
This game has never been about recreating World War II.  The game is designed around aerial dogfights using the planes from World War II.  There is a difference, one that I wish a lot that play this game will eventually learn.

ack-ack
+2

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline TheMan

• Copper Member
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2008, 07:22:35 PM »
Aces high II is advertised as the best WWII FLIGHT ONLINE simulator on the market, well this is very true, but however why is everything so good when in fact the number one thing this game is about, is completly ignored. All planes are mixed, with fictional countries, and a fictional war. Yes there is a designated arena for this, but however this arena is not really in use except for special events. Shouldnt it be the other way around? The arenas have locked country planes to the actual corrisponding country, and these arenas become the new 3 main arenas. and the special events have the mixed planes with fictional countries? Its hard to get into a WWII COMBAT SIM when only the planes are being simulated and while the core of the game, the actual war, is totaly FUBAR
2 weeks

Offline Wyld45

• Copper Member
      • AH2 Rough Rider Bugler
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2008, 12:34:34 AM »
This maybe so, but however we all know countless vets of AH have left because of the game being nothing new...its always the same thing everyday and night, no substance to the game really

If i wanted to play a flight combat sim i would play, CFS3 or some other game...i play this for the competition of actually fighting for a country of hundreds of people and trying to win a war

I have "CFS3"......very dissapointing,I'll take AH2s mixed planes over that one anytime.
RRWyld45  1138th "Rough Riders" Bomber Wing