Author Topic: Perk  (Read 4517 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Perk
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2008, 06:02:51 PM »
Don't forget the incredably high ammount of them in the arenas... imo... it throws off plane balance a bit...

Number isn't as high as usually believed, and far away from "throwing off plane balance".
And perk Spit 16 and increase N1K & Spit8 usage by the same amount. 

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2008, 07:34:48 PM »
all 5 ENY planes plus the 51 should be perked
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2008, 10:07:15 PM »
Number isn't as high as usually believed, and far away from "throwing off plane balance".
And perk Spit 16 and increase N1K & Spit8 usage by the same amount. 

Well yeah, you would practically have to perk the 8 if you perked the 16, almost the same performance. And I don't know how I feel about leaving the Brit fans with the mid-war 9 as their only unperked Spit in the LW MA.

N1K though is below Spit8/16, with all their climb and acceleration. Most of the fighters that turn worse than the Spixteen and need to E fight also can't beat in terms of E-building.

The N1K OTOH, I believe if it didn't have four cannons, it would be eny 10-15. Dangerous plane anytime it can get its guns pointed at you, yes, but average climber, not fast, not the absolute tops in turning, poor roller, limited in dives, and probably more fragile than the Spit.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2008, 10:42:27 PM »
all 5 ENY planes plus the 51 should be perked

Don't let Steve see that :)
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2008, 11:04:55 PM »
I think the whole eny value on planes needs to be looked at and revised.  Since some planes have been remodeled/ added, some eny's on planes don't justify anymore.

As fa as the spit 16 is concerned, I have no trouble killing them in my hog, even in 2:1 odds in a TnB fight.  Only issue I have with them is the amount of them being flown.  Yes they don't have a great kill/death ratio but that is because noobs fly them and use it like its air quake.  Point, shoot die mentality instead of using ACM and taking the challenge to actually earn a kill.  When people say the spit 16 is not fast, they are correct and p51's, d9's and lala's can disengage at will, that is not true.  The spit 16 accelerates to its topspeed alot faster then a p51 and d9's.  Lala's are the only planes that can disengage at will because of its quick acceleration also.  Tempest too but I don't count perk planes.  A light perk to balance the plane set some (like perk value of 5) I think would not be much of a issue and will balance its use some.  They perked the f4u-1c because it unbalanced the game.  Now the spit 16 took that place.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2008, 11:11:47 PM »
They perked the f4u-1c because it unbalanced the game.  Now the spit 16 took that place.

I wasn't around before the C-Hog was perked, but I have to assume it unbalanced the game far greater than the Spit 16 currently does...  Ord, speed, maneuverability, 4 cannons, can take off from CVs, can take a ton of damage...  Why fly anything else?

I always imagined there were more C-Hogs flying around back then than Spit 16s today?

16's are usually easy kills, and when they aren't, they're as much fun to fly against as any other plane flown competently...  I don't see the problem.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2008, 11:19:44 PM »
  They perked the f4u-1c because it unbalanced the game.  Now the spit 16 took that place.

It didn't.

The F4U-C had a huge share of all kills, far ahead of the competition, while maintaining a K/D way above average.

The Spit 16 doesn't. It doesn't even come close to be a dominating factor in the LW MA's.

In 2007, Spit 16 had 6% of all planes kills&deaths, which put it on #2 after P51. But at the same time, it only had a very mediocre K/D of 1.09. It's in no way an unbalancing plane in LW.

All current perk planes have a K/D of way over 2.0, with the Spit XIV being the sole exception.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 11:23:23 PM by Lusche »

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2008, 11:25:02 PM »
The Spit 16 doesn't. It doesn't even come close to be a dominating factor in the LW MA's.

In 2007, Spit 16 had 6% of all planes kills&deaths, which put it on #2 after P51. But at the same time, it only had a very mediocre K/D of 1.09. It's in no way an unbalancing plane in LW.

I alrdy said that.  Its the use of it that is almost = to the f4u-1c back in the day.  Everywhere u fly now, there a 2:1 chance it a spit 16.

Yes they don't have a great kill/death ratio but that is because noobs fly them and use it like its air quake.  Point, shoot die mentality instead of using ACM and taking the challenge to actually earn a kill. 
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2008, 11:27:57 PM »
  When people say the spit 16 is not fast, they are correct and p51's, d9's and lala's can disengage at will, that is not true.  The spit 16 accelerates to its topspeed alot faster then a p51 and d9's. 

Well, if one screws around with a Spixteen until it is d-400 on the P-51's six, granted he's unlikely to get out of that

But, a lone P-51 that keeps its E up could make at least a few passes at a large flight of a dozen spixteens and say bye-bye when necessary, as long as he keeps his wits about them. And who knows, with good gunnery and a Spit pilot doing predictable evasives, perhaps even bag one. Whereas a Spixteen is not going to escape a dogfight with a dozen well-piloted P-51s, and is going to have a difficult time getting a shot in unless someone looses patience and screws up.

Thus speed is shown to be perhaps the master advantage. I'm very unsure on the notion of perking any plane unless it is very aberrant along the speed/maneuver scale...you know the, the way most planes that are faster turn worse? Only planes that violate that tendency dramatically need to be perked IMHO. The only unperked plane that sticks out like a sore thumb according to this reasoning is the La-7.

<S>

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2008, 11:33:46 PM »
I alrdy said that.  Its the use of it that is almost = to the f4u-1c back in the day.  Everywhere u fly now, there a 2:1 chance it a spit 16.

Thats simply not true. Spit 16 doesn't even come close to having that kind of numbers F4UC had back in the day, and surely not any comparable impact.

2:1 chance would mean 66% of all planes are Spits 16's.

Also keep in mind that due to the short legs of the 16, the actual number one encounters depends even on playing style.
As a primary base defender, I rarely encounter 16's at all...

As HTC stated, perks were introduced to regulate usage of otherwise unbalancing planes. Spit 16 isn't unbalancing.
And just perking the top used planes  because they are the top used planes amoutns a bit to tellign other player what to fly "just because". And of course other planes would then replace them as "most used rides" and in the end a new player may find himself with a free P40B and 94 other perked rides ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 11:39:16 PM by Lusche »

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2008, 11:34:36 PM »
I dunno, as a pure fighter, I think the C-Hog might be a little behind the Spixteen. Uh, DokGonzo's comparison site isn't working for me. I know the C-Hog is decidedly inferior in climb and acceleration, and is the worst turning Hog. How does it stack up to the Spit in turn and deck speed?

If the C-Hog were upped constantly for base defense and by noobs, instead of being used for so much b'n'z and vulching by the experienced,its K/D might be a different story.

And careful guys, usage numbers/popularity is an imperfect argument for perkage. Example: P-51D usage, Ki-84 usage, N1K usage vrs. SpitVIII* usage, F4U-1A, etc. It doesn't always reflect a plane's potential.

*I mean come on, the thing basically has the powers of  Spixteen and the flight time of a P-51D...whats going on here that it only sees 3% usage?*
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 11:40:44 PM by BnZ »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2008, 11:43:21 PM »

And careful guys, usage numbers/popularity is an imperfect argument for perkage. Example: P-51D usage, Ki-84 usage, N1K usage vrs. SpitVIII usage, F4U-1A, etc. It doesn't always reflect a plane's potential.

"Usage" combined with K/D is not the holy grail :D, but it can give you a good assesment of a fighters actual impact on gameplay. And that's what perking mostly is about.

(BTW, I would love to see a real number of sorties statistic)

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2008, 04:35:51 AM »
Is it me or does that chart show spit14 usage less than spit1? :rofl
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2008, 04:39:34 AM »
when i see a spit16 attacking my mosquito i pretty much consider it a free kill. unless Kazaa is flying then im dead, bastage.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2008, 04:46:12 AM »
Is it me or does that chart show spit14 usage less than spit1? :rofl

For a larger part of the year, the score wasn't split between arenas.

But then, the Spit I isn't flown that much in EW too, so the numbers are currently just a tad better for Spit XiV:

Tour 103
Spit I  162 kills 575 deaths = 737 total
Spit XIV 436 kills 397 deaths = 833 total