Author Topic: Request for info: USAAF Boston/Havoc  (Read 3712 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Request for info: USAAF Boston/Havoc
« on: August 08, 2008, 06:03:56 PM »
I would like to skin the aircraft shown below. It looks like an RAF Boston loaned to or taken over by the USAAF and used by the 47th BG in Tunisia. I've got some photos of 47th BG Havocs with a similar ad-hoc sand camo over the basic olive drab/grey scheme, but not found one of a Boston. Anyone got a photo of the real aircraft?

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
Re: Request for info: USAAF Boston/Havoc
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 06:04:50 PM »
No picture Kemosabe.
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 06:43:02 PM »
Can't see your picture, but this is what I assume you are talking about.  From four different books.  Two profiles, two images from the same flight found in different books.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 07:40:16 PM »
That's strange, the picture shows up in my browser. I've uploaded it to my webspace now and linked from there, hopefully it will work this time.

Thanks for the info Guppy, that is very useful. I like the idea of having the RAF camo under the sand but I can go with OD/grey as a plan B. It is possible the profile of 13157 is wrong about the colours, RAF colours underneath might make more sense if its a Boston. Its hard to tell from the photos, although some of the dark patches on the wings do seem to vary in colour a bit.

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 08:17:42 PM »
Here's a couple more Greebo.   :aok

A-20B s/n: 41-3001 47th BG, 12th AF Youks-Les Bains, Algeria Feb. 43

A-20B s/n: 41-3134 84th BS, 47th BG, 12th AF Medina, Morocco Dec. 42

:salute

Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 08:41:34 PM »
That's strange, the picture shows up in my browser. I've uploaded it to my webspace now and linked from there, hopefully it will work this time.

Thanks for the info Guppy, that is very useful. I like the idea of having the RAF camo under the sand but I can go with OD/grey as a plan B. It is possible the profile of 13157 is wrong about the colours, RAF colours underneath might make more sense if its a Boston. Its hard to tell from the photos, although some of the dark patches on the wings do seem to vary in colour a bit.

(Image removed from quote.)

Wow!  I remember that old model kit :)

The model seems to be the top profile and the lead bird in both photos.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 05:59:05 AM »
Thanks for the profiles Jester, I'll probably go with 13157 though. Its a bit more interesting as a scheme with the splotchy sand application coupled with the noseart etc.

Unfortunately its not the same aircraft Guppy. The Revell kit's tail number is 13137, while the plane in the profile and photos is 13157. I'm also not so sure 13157 is a Boston now. I can't see any cheek gunpods in the photos and the nose glazing looks wrong for a Boston.

BTW Guppy do you have the book "47th Bomb Group" by Turner Publishing? I was thinking of getting it but its not worth it if you've already taken the photos above from it.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 03:09:51 PM »
Thanks for the profiles Jester, I'll probably go with 13157 though. Its a bit more interesting as a scheme with the splotchy sand application coupled with the noseart etc.

Unfortunately its not the same aircraft Guppy. The Revell kit's tail number is 13137, while the plane in the profile and photos is 13157. I'm also not so sure 13157 is a Boston now. I can't see any cheek gunpods in the photos and the nose glazing looks wrong for a Boston.

BTW Guppy do you have the book "47th Bomb Group" by Turner Publishing? I was thinking of getting it but its not worth it if you've already taken the photos above from it.

I don't have that book. 

Those are the only photos I've seen of that camo.  That Revell kit is quite old too.  Could be they fudged a little bit on the markings as it wasn't nearly as important back in the olden days like it is now with model kits.

But the profile and the lead bird in the photo would be a good one. 
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 03:24:57 AM »
Thanks again Guppy, 13157 is probably the one I will do. The Revell kit's scheme is too suspect unless I can find a photo to back it up. To that end I'm going to order the 47th BG book, it should be an interesting read even if it turns out there is no useful information in it for skinning.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 06:09:11 AM »
There wasn't anything useful WRT to the skin in the 47th BG book so I went with 13157.

I had to leave the tail number off since the vertical tail is mirrored on the Boston skin. Also the lower wings are mirrored so the lower insignia is on both wings, whereas it should be on just the right wing. Otherwise the skin is fairly accurate.

The skin is up at http://www.ah-skins.com/ if you want to take a closer look.

Offline Lord ReDhAwK

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.revivecomputing.com/aggressors
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 06:43:19 AM »
Greebo, that looks fantastic sir.  Hell of a job!

ReDhAwK
C.O.
The Aggressors

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 01:40:39 PM »
great work  :aok
C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 02:32:24 PM »
Very nice!

You guys (all of you guys) have been great about filling out the desert skins... thanks again from the Terrain Team. :aok
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 06:26:47 PM »
Wow.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 06:34:41 PM »
Sweet.