Author Topic: What a friking boring game this has become  (Read 5348 times)

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: What a friking boring game this has become
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2008, 02:56:42 PM »
I've already done that over and over.  Here's a post from the 190 thread in the Help and Training Forum:

My K/D rate in the A8 is historically between 4 and 6 against all types of opponents (fighters and buffs included).

If you are getting 4-6 k/d by beating spits at their game, co-e turning below 300mph or so, then you must not be merely good, you must be completely incredible. Or the average Spit driver must be worse than I thought.

Since you mentioned Urchin's films, I just finished watching the first one. I saw him fighting a HORRIBLE Spit pilot. Not a mediocre one, not a bad one, one who makes just about every mistake possible. Who the hell tries to HO a 190A in a Spit? This Spit pilot had a zipcode for a handle and quite possibly hasn't played long enough even to get his views set up. Note that this is NOT intended as an insult towards Urchin, because the plane he is fighting has such an advantage in this particular situation that beating even a two-weeker here is spectacular. Because the 190 does not have the turn rate to track at all at these kinds of speeds, the only shots he got at the Spit were incredibly high difficulty snapshots that most of us mere mortals cannot hope to count on. Perhaps TrackIr makes them a little easier, perhaps not, I have no experience with that device.

Then additional gangtards join the fight and Urchin makes them look like idiots...for a few seconds, before the inherent disadvantages of his plane plus their numbers add up and he gets shot down. His "reward" for having the skill to embarass a Spit with E on him while flying a 190-A5 is no kill on the Spit and being shot down by someone he could probably kill in two turns in a more balanced situation. Sorry Sir, this is NOT the result I'm looking for. And Urchin is an AMAZING pilot compared to most. If anything, this film supports my ideas about how to engage...if Urchin had been flying a Dora using E tactics, he probably could have teased/drug zipcode well away from any possible help, then leisurely clubbed him to death while he hung up beneath, then been free to hunt down a few more.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 03:07:06 PM by BnZ »

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2008, 03:07:35 PM »
Oh, I already added that caveat lol. 

Please note that part of my problem is my aim sucks.  It used to be much better.  If I can hold any sort of interest in the game it'll improve again. 

But you are right, all of the pilots in those clips are awful.

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2008, 03:17:47 PM »
Furballing 190s otd it's all luck. Run into a good spit pilot, and he'll take you down pretty quick. If you run into a buncha new players then you usually win.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2008, 03:19:14 PM »

Please note that part of my problem is my aim sucks.  It used to be much better.  If I can hold any sort of interest in the game it'll improve again. 

BS buddy! You hit something flashing across 3 viewing areas (up, up forward, forward) at 90 degrees in the twinkling of an eye. Does TrackIR make it easier? I can't imagine such a shot will ever be truly "easy" though. I can generate the same kind of scissoring situation often enough, but hitting the shot more than once in a blue moon is the difficult part for me.

Another problem I have when I've tried to use some sort of pirouetting/low yo-yo geometry to "cut a t'n'ber off at the pass"  for a shot, is that if they are into the whole M.A.D. thing, they can often just turn a little harder and generate a nose-to-nose remerge. I don't shoot well enough to win HOs, and even if I did,  "You have shot down____" followed by having to land because my oil is out isn't my idea of fun.

I loved that second film. Especially the kill on the Tempest. Seriously though man, why don't you fly in such a way as to give yourself an even break and brutalize+terrorize that frickin' DA lake or the MA for that matter? It is what I'd do if I had your skills.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 03:30:30 PM by BnZ »

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2008, 03:30:40 PM »
Furballing 190s otd it's all luck. Run into a good spit pilot, and he'll take you down pretty quick. If you run into a buncha new players then you usually win.

This is a point we've been making in several threads lately that bears repeating. AKAK said it best when he said, "Just because I outmaneuvered a Zeke in my P38 , doesn't mean the P38 is a more maneuverable plane,  it just means the Zeke pilot had no clue what he was doing".

Certain match-ups, given equal skill, are just hardcoded in favor of one plane or the other, especially once E states are equalized.

For example, the La7 and the Typhoon...Other than the gun package, the La7 is absolutely better at absolutely everything in every respect by a healthy margin. I should not be able to beat an equally skilled La7 pilot in a Typhoon Co-E/Co-Alt. If I do I either got a lucky low % shot off or the La7 driver made some kind of terrible mistake. If I enjoy continued success against La7's in my Typhoon it is only because the La7 pilots I am fighting are inferior skill-wise, because the plane itself is superior in almost every way conceivable.

So, pulling out your ratio of kills vs deaths vs. any given plane type with another is really quite meaningless. Especially if you are in the 50% or higher skill demographic. The higher your relative skill compared to the average dweeb, the more meaningless your ratio of success is in terms of statistical relevance.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 03:35:13 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2008, 03:03:14 PM »
BS buddy! You hit something flashing across 3 viewing areas (up, up forward, forward) at 90 degrees in the twinkling of an eye. Does TrackIR make it easier? I can't imagine such a shot will ever be truly "easy" though. I can generate the same kind of scissoring situation often enough, but hitting the shot more than once in a blue moon is the difficult part for me.

Another problem I have when I've tried to use some sort of pirouetting/low yo-yo geometry to "cut a t'n'ber off at the pass"  for a shot, is that if they are into the whole M.A.D. thing, they can often just turn a little harder and generate a nose-to-nose remerge. I don't shoot well enough to win HOs, and even if I did,  "You have shot down____" followed by having to land because my oil is out isn't my idea of fun.

I loved that second film. Especially the kill on the Tempest. Seriously though man, why don't you fly in such a way as to give yourself an even break and brutalize+terrorize that frickin' DA lake or the MA for that matter? It is what I'd do if I had your skills.

The difficult part of fighting in a 190 IS hitting the shot.  You will usually get at least one shot, even if the other guy knows what he is doing.  If the guy doesn't really know what he is doing you may get more, but usually you have to take what you can get. 

Regarding the "MAD" - you are basically taking advantage of the fact that people WILL go for the shot no matter what.  The only way a 190 can angles fight with any success at all is by going nose to nose and taking advantage of a speed differential (i.e. you fly very slow, and even though the other plane is a better turner, they will fly out in front of you).

The reason I fly a 190 like that is because I think it is fun, and I get good practice.  I could (and have) take a Spixteen and get 10-12 kills in the DA lake.... but it isn't challenging, so it isn't fun.  I'm not a huge fan of the hording gameplay in the MAs, so I don't usually go in there. 

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2008, 04:42:33 PM »
If you are getting 4-6 k/d by beating spits at their game, co-e turning below 300mph or so, then you must not be merely good, you must be completely incredible. Or the average Spit driver must be worse than I thought.

I didn't say I was getting those numbers fighting only Spits and only below 300 mph.  I specifically said it was against all types of opponents including both fighters and buffs.  Did you not understand that? 

You are still missing the point.  How will someone ever learn how to push the limits of their aircraft and learn to fight if all they ever do is run at the first sign of an opponent?  Please offer your wisdom.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2008, 05:43:09 PM »
the game is awesome, i say this as a man deprived of a computer to play it. you dont know what youre missing. life without ah is darker. you all love this game so much you cant see the woods for the trees.

i would pay double subscription just for 1 hour flying with my friends right now.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2008, 06:34:17 PM »
  You are still missing the point.  How will someone ever learn how to push the limits of their aircraft and learn to fight if all they ever do is run at the first sign of an opponent?  Please offer your wisdom.

Um, the TA?

And I'm not saying run at the first sign of a fight. And I suppose you are not saying never, ever run. So I suppose we are both not treating each other quite fair by framing these posts as if that is being said.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 06:40:06 PM by BnZ »

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2008, 06:39:15 PM »
the game is awesome, i say this as a man deprived of a computer to play it. you dont know what youre missing. life without ah is darker. you all love this game so much you cant see the woods for the trees.

i would pay double subscription just for 1 hour flying with my friends right now.

We need to start a fund to buy Batfink here a kick-ass AHII computer.

Even I'll admit the dude is a flippin' artist in this game. You wouldn't let a Van Gogh starve in the street.

Offline kennyhayes

• Nickel Member
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2008, 10:59:03 PM »
i have to agree this game is not as fun as it use to be

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2008, 11:04:55 PM »
a most outstanding suggestion BnZ! :D
we can all dream. lucky for me the weather is good for now. as to your compliment, thank you indeed, but i would possibly liken it more to a construction worker with a feather light flying power drill than vangogh
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2008, 11:13:24 PM »

Anyone who truly does that is going to be so grossly ineffective that you're wasting your time by even giving them a second thought. People who fly one plane or a short list of a few planes for an extended period know exactly where the limits are of the aircraft even if the discovery is purely accidental over time with experience.

For example, I don't need to repeatedly accept invitations from Zekes to knife fight my Typhoon Co-E/Co-Alt to reinforce what I already know about the "edge" of my aircraft.

The more familiar people get with a plane the more adventurous they will tend to become in order to get more kills per unit time. Also, some people experiment with aircraft they are not only unfamiliar with, but the characteristics of it are in direct contradiction to their style and personality driven proclivities. People with a feeling of a "Duck out of water" are going to either be overly reckless or overly cautious depending on the individual and the plane.

The other huge factor some don't consider is the plane they are flying and how high they fly it. If you fly a Spit or Niki (insert your hyper-modelled ride here) at 15k+ you'd have a better chance of pulling a golden nugget out of a recently squeezed steaming turd than finding someone who won't run from you. But, if you fly a non-uber ride at a reasonable altitude very few other planes & pilots will decline to engage you. I can speak from personal experience that if you fly a mediocre plane like the Typhoon under 10k you will magically cease to have the problem of people refusing to engage you, I promise. Examples of some other planes that fit into that mediocre'ish category relative to the "ubers" would be; F6F, P38, 205, Ki-61, 109s & 190's, Jugs, etc...Anyone who flies an "uber" ride relatively high gets no sympathy from me when they cry about people running from them.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:56:44 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2008, 11:38:12 PM »
damn this thread is always popular as the "hey 190 pilots" thread !
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2008, 12:10:50 AM »
 :rofl
C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)